Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
According to Manolon, Julio Iglesias lived in Kendall.
Julio Iglesias actually has a home on the exclusive and gated Indian Creek Island which has it's own police force. I once had to make a delivery on the island and there he was riding his bike with a blond girl around the golf course. I had to ask the police officer on the way out if it was him and he confirmed it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 PM

147 posts, read 280,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Where is this "Miami is over" coming from? The population is up, buildings are being built, so much money in this city and so many very expensive places to live. Look at the Prosche tower in Sunny Isles. It's not poor people buying in that place!

As for the celebrity thing, its not over. It's just no longer a big deal. In the 90s it was a big deal that all these people lived in Miami. Now who cares, there are so many people who have homes here it doesn't matter.

Enrique Iglesias and Dwayne Wade both live right near me. DMX used to live a few houses down from me. I don't care really. In the 90s it was a new thing. Now days its just life. This Miami is not popular anymore is nonsense. Look at the movies, the songs, the sports teams etc.. Miami is plenty popular with the celebs and even more popular with the wealthy.
Miami is over dahling. You need to realize that.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Miami isn't over, right now Miami is redefining itself. More and more high profile people are looking at Miami for business and their personal lives. Will it ever be the place many American celebrities have a second home, probably not, but it could be a place that South American or Russian celebrities buy a second/third home.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM

147 posts, read 280,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami isn't over, right now Miami is redefining itself. More and more high profile people are looking at Miami for business and their personal lives. Will it ever be the place many American celebrities have a second home, probably not, but it could be a place that South American or Russian celebrities buy a second/third home.
I agree. With the growing upper class of Argentina and Brazil too.

And Latin American celebrities have LONGED loved moving to Miami.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Where is this "Miami is over" coming from? The population is up, buildings are being built, so much money in this city and so many very expensive places to live. Look at the Prosche tower in Sunny Isles. It's not poor people buying in that place!

As for the celebrity thing, its not over. It's just no longer a big deal. In the 90s it was a big deal that all these people lived in Miami. Now who cares, there are so many people who have homes here it doesn't matter.

Enrique Iglesias and Dwayne Wade both live right near me. DMX used to live a few houses down from me. I don't care really. In the 90s it was a new thing. Now days its just life. This Miami is not popular anymore is nonsense. Look at the movies, the songs, the sports teams etc.. Miami is plenty popular with the celebs and even more popular with the wealthy.
Very well said.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Because the Russians came and scared them all away

Old 11-22-2013, 03:48 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
Miami is over dahling. You need to realize that.
You say that than
You say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
I agree. With the growing upper class of Argentina and Brazil too.

And Latin American celebrities have LONGED loved moving to Miami.
Of course Miami is going to have more Latin American celebrities. I still don't understand where this Miami is "over" thing is coming from. Miami is still the third most likely spot in the country to spot these oh so precious celebrities you seem to care so much about. Since when is the amount of celebrities moving in even matter? Either way look at popular culture, look at South Beach, look at Downtoen and Brickell, Miami is just getting started. If we could only have some decent leadership in this city and county.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:05 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
I've been to Miami and its nice and all but why would someone with so much money live in Miami???
So many beautiful cities in the world...! I just don't get it. I know a lot of Latino actors live there because Telemundo is located there but other than that why choose Miami? If I was a millionaire I would choose London, NYC, Montreal, Mexico (some beach cities are amazing paradise)so many others...but Miami? Can someone enlighten me why is still a popular destination for rich folks? Its not as popular as before I reckon but still seems pretty popular. Hope someone can prove me wrong or enlighten me.
Thanks.
Those places are cold 5 months out of the year. A not insignificant amount of celebrities grew up in cold places and like the idea of having a warmer place to retreat to.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
The thing with celebrities moving down here plays a big role as well. The more they move down here, the more publicity the city gets = more people moving in.

That's how i see it.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
First celeb was Gloria Estefan and she was a huge deal in Miami. Then Miami Vice kind of organically turned South Beach into a hip scene that not too many people were aware of--but there was a definite buzz in NYC about it in the late 80s. JFK Jr., Daryl Hannah, their friends, Dick Wolfe, European photographers, models started hanging out there. Then Versace--Madonna was friends with him so that may have been why she came. Stallone went to college in Miami and kept coming back, and is still hanging around South Florida.

After South Beach got really hip, it wasn't a nice little close-knit community that felt like a small town--it all changed. Madonna may have left because Versace was murdered. But, it's like when you live in NYC--nobody really thinks about famous people being there--you don't really see them too often and you are living your own life--work, home, etc. There were no big events that made people come and go, other than it evolved into a magnet for celebs and partiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami