Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:21 AM

106 posts, read 380,522 times

Advertisements

In my ongoing analysis in trying to understand why drivers in Miami suck so bad I have concluded that poor drivers education and poor freeway construction has contributed to the cause. It appears as if the engineers were on crack during the design of Florida freeways. Also please explain the logic of having a 70 mile per hour freeway maximum with a minimum posted of 40. In the first place it is ridiculous to encourage people to go 40 next to cars zooming by at 70. And why for Gods sake does Florida post speed limits in freeway entrance and exit ramps. I can understand the yellow and black signs like the ones we have in California interchanges indicating the safe speed to turn a curve but in Florida on ramps and interchanges its written on black and white signs. Could I actually be given a ticket for attempting to go faster than 35 mph while entering a freeway with a max speed of 70mph. The interchange from Palmetto to 75 northbound towards Miramar has 35 posted on the exit ramp. No wonder why people in Miami dont know how to merge. They must be confused. On the west coast in Cali and Arizona the speed limits are 65 70 and 75. Only trucks have minimums posted. You do the speed limit or get off the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker View Post
California is boring, so are the people who live there.
What does your comment have to do with Floridas freeways?

Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM

88 posts, read 726,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
In my ongoing analysis in trying to understand why drivers in Miami suck so bad I have concluded that poor drivers education and poor freeway construction has contributed to the cause. It appears as if the engineers were on crack during the design of Florida freeways. Also please explain the logic of having a 70 mile per hour freeway maximum with a minimum posted of 40. In the first place it is ridiculous to encourage people to go 40 next to cars zooming by at 70. And why for Gods sake does Florida post speed limits in freeway entrance and exit ramps. I can understand the yellow and black signs like the ones we have in California interchanges indicating the safe speed to turn a curve but in Florida on ramps and interchanges its written on black and white signs. Could I actually be given a ticket for attempting to go faster than 35 mph while entering a freeway with a max speed of 70mph. The interchange from Palmetto to 75 northbound towards Miramar has 35 posted on the exit ramp. No wonder why people in Miami dont know how to merge. They must be confused. On the west coast in Cali and Arizona the speed limits are 65 70 and 75. Only trucks have minimums posted. You do the speed limit or get off the freeway.
you think thats bad? in minnesota the highways that are the worst congested only have two lanes with a speed limit of 55 and the areas that arent congested have 5-6 lanes going both ways which are also 55.....and theirs a highway that has a sharp turn that goes from 70mph to 35mph and they wonder why that area alsy has 20 car pile ups...but yes people in florida suck at driving i dont understand how people mistake 65 for 5mph and then the idiots who completely stop at the end of a ramp to merge into traffic...how the hell do they expect to go from 0-70 mph in 5 seconds? i remember when me and some friends went to miami for the memorial day weekend party and a lady was clocked doing 110 in a 30...

Old 03-05-2007, 12:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
THANK YOU!!!!! So glad someone noticed this besides me!!!
I say MININUM speed should be listed! That 45 or 55 should be the MINIMUM!!! And max about 75 or so. Just go with the flow of traffic, go faster in the left lane, slower in the right. And please use your friggin BLINKER!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
The yellow speed signs that you find that are on entrance and exits of the freeways are not enforceable. The are called general warning signs. They are placed there because usually the entrance/exit ramps are on curves and some idiot probably sued the state because they went airborne at 60mph when they should have been going 25mph. As far as the 40mph minimum speed limit where the maximum is 70, is for those that would drive 35mph. I'm sure that before the minimum 40 sign was put up, someone was written a ticket and some judge dismissed it because there wasn't a sign saying that you couldn't drive 35mph on a freeway. I wrote a speeding ticket to a guy one night drag racing at over 100mph. The judge asked if they were at a stop when they took off and if there was someone out of the car, standing between the two cars who gave the signal for the two cars to go. Since that wasn't the case, she dismissed the ticket. I guess that two cars driving over 100mph that are neck and neck trying to out-run each other isn't drag racing in her eyes. She probably needs a girl standing between the two cars wearing tall boots and waving a flag for her to consider it drag racing. Whether or not there are signs posted, some people are going to go over 70mph and some under 40mph. It's just the luck of the draw whether they get caught that day. Chances are that they are not. The police here are short staffed and go call to call. As far as the white signs with the speed limit, those are regulatory signs that are enforceable. On the ramps where the white and black speed limit signs are less than the speed limit on the freeways is probably due to the people who drive 10mph up the ramp and then cut off everybody doing 70mph or those that go 70 mph down the ramp and rear-end someone stopped at the traffic light on the off-ramp.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
As a trucker who's been in all 48 states, Ontario and Quebec, I'm here to tell you that EVERY state has clueless drivers and highways engineered by idiots. (FWIW, If I had to pick a state where drivers are better-than-average, I'd say "California" would be at the top of my list) I live in the Dayton, OH area and the two most poorly engineered stretches of I-75 are within an hour of where I'm sitting. Northbound on I-71/75 in Northern KY, you descend a rather steep (for this part of the country) hill and onto the Brent Spence Bridge (Locals call it the B.S. Bridge for good reason...) In the last 3 years, more than 300 of my fellow truckers have wrecked on this hill. If you survive the mess that is Cincinnati, the constant lane-changing and VERY sharp curve that I-75 takes thru Dayton might get you.

But, yes, South FL is not easy to drive in. The truck lane restrictions and split speed limits actually make matters worse for everyone. Lane restrictions cause us to change lanes more often; too the center to let merging traffic onto the highway then back to the slow lane to let faster traffic pass. The common sense alternative: "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" signs and minimum speeds in the left lane(s) like they do out West.

If there was one skill we Americans need improvement on; it's merging onto a freeway!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 AM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
interesting. those entrance/exit ramp speed signs arent enforcable for you guys and LAPD gives people 'fix it tickets' for modified mufflers, too dark tint jobs and is constantly hiring according to billboards i always see when im out there. i had a friend get a ticket once for being 5 mph over the speed limit.
its $1000 ticket for littering and like $200-350 i believe for crossing the yellow line.

crew, i always try to let truckers and bikers in when they look like they need it because alot of times theyre from somewhere else where the traffic isnt this psychotic and they appreciate it. everyone else though is fair game because if you try to let someone in youll be sitting there for 20 minutes looking like a dumbass since they wont take the spot and want the one in front of the guy in front of you.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
crew, i always try to let truckers and bikers in when they look like they need it because alot of times theyre from somewhere else where the traffic isnt this psychotic and they appreciate it. everyone else though is fair game because if you try to let someone in youll be sitting there for 20 minutes looking like a dumbass since they wont take the spot and want the one in front of the guy in front of you.
Much appreciated, CiXel!!! There's nothing worse than being in a strange city, trying to find your exit or customer, especially during rush hour! Sometimes the driver may not see you trying to let them in...merging is always fun!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 AM

403 posts, read 1,580,807 times
Miami drivers are very, very agressive, they cut off on you for no reason at all and they cut in front of you and start going 90 mph, policemen hardly go get them, miami ranks the most agressive driving in the nation.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 10,140 times
Your so freaking right. I get pulled over because I was in interstate and its 65 mph, everyone else is going 90+, im all the way in the left and I get pulled over for 88, GTFO. Instead of getting me, get that bastard thats pushing people out of the road. seriously cops are just workin for the money, recession is killing america, next thing 2012 will come and cops wont know what to do, just blame the community for giving them a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami