Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I'm not including latin americans (although they are bred with Spanish decent people)

I'm talking 100% Spaniard type of people and how common they are in Miami.
Do you realize how offensive THIS particular comments is to someone like me, since in Cuba there are no real indigenous people, only folks that originated from Spain and later from other caribbean areas and other countries. I take particular offensive with the word BRED. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound it that way, but you will probably not get a good reaction from other folks of Spanish decent of other countries as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:48 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Do you realize how offensive THIS particular comments is to someone like me, since in Cuba there are no real indigenous people, only folks that originated from Spain and later from other caribbean areas and other countries. I take particular offensive with the word BRED. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound it that way, but you will probably not get a good reaction from other folks of Spanish decent of other countries as well.
I have heard this kind of talk several times from Cubans over 30. It seems like one of the worst insults suggesting they are biracial or multiracial. As if humans were dogs and pure breeds were superior. No wonder the OP used the word bred.

Suggesting they are mixed is "SO OFFENSIVE" it's like calling them thieves, scammers, beasts, or a mass murderers.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
But Cubans are mixed right?

Not all Cubans are Europeans, just as not all Cubans are Black Africans.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,299,663 times
I met a very nice Spanish lady, from the region of Castille, at a park yesterday, minding four children, two of her own and two of a friend. Her husband works for a huge Spanish multinational infrastructure engineering firm.

I first spoke to her in Spanish, but then she complained how difficult it is for her to practice English in Miami, so we switched to English to let her practice. She said that in Dallas, where they had previously lived, she was more or less obliged to speak English.

We both agreed that it is relatively easy to find Spanish - from Spain - agricultural and other food products in supermarkets in Miami, but she told me not so in Dallas.

I am sure that there is a Spanish ex-pat community in Miami, just like there are Italians, French and Germans, but they do not necessarily congregate in one particular neighborhood. However, it is probably a safe bet that most of them are professionals working in banks and multinationals and they probably live relatively scattered in Miami Beach and somewhere in Miami's strategic corridor from downtown/Brickell to Pinecrest.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,854 times
I'm from Madrid, Spain and my dream is to live anywhere in USA if that counts

Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 AM

604 posts, read 617,910 times
In the Brickell area you can find many Spanish ex-pats who work for Santander, Sabadell or Meliá. 100 Montaditos makes them more visible in the area.
Anyway, I don't like modern tapas places, because they're are more about overcharging tiny servings.

as far as a stable Spanish community, without ties with multinationals, I've never heard of them.
Looking at census data wouldn't help because data might be skewed by the presence of many Venezuelans and Argentineans that have spanish passport as well.

Last edited by oronzous; 05-23-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM

249 posts, read 419,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I know there are plenty of people who "speak" spanish but I was curious if there is a fair amount of Spanish ethnic background.

What I mean are spaniard type(light complected European origin) people in Miami? If so are there any neighborhoods ?

I'm not talking any latin american type, or any other type that I know Miami has.
We don't have too many Spaniards but plenty of "light complected European origin" they are spread out all over Miami but if you want really high concentrations of them, upper scale neighborhoods are where you should go.

Speaking of Spaniards though, were getting more and more of them because the situation in Spain. Still, they're pretty spread out and therefore don't have their own neighborhoods and statistically they're still not too much. Oh and I forgot to mention, since there are so many Hispanics in Miami that can fit in Spain, it's quite hard to find pick them out, the best way to find them is to be fluent in Spanish and recognize the Spanish accent. I personally don't know it but my Mom does and just recently we had met a Spanish guy who seemed like he could be a Cuban and my Mom said "you're either from Argentina or Spain" upon hearing his accent. He said Spain.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 PM

249 posts, read 419,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I have heard this kind of talk several times from Cubans over 30. It seems like one of the worst insults suggesting they are biracial or multiracial. As if humans were dogs and pure breeds were superior. No wonder the OP used the word bred.

Suggesting they are mixed is "SO OFFENSIVE" it's like calling them thieves, scammers, beasts, or a mass murderers.
It's just insecure bull**** from "traditional" people who care so much about their race. You may as well call them thieves, idiots, murderers, etc because thats what dark skin / mix race / low caste people represent to them. They're really insecure because in America, Hispanic is often not White, so they have some complex about it. They had gone from a society that worships their skin color to a country that will look at them as if they're not White (and this bugs them because they think non-White = baaaad)

I remember hearing some Venezuelan lady whining about this and the census, I was thinking in my head "Well dummy you don't have to put in Hispanic, you can just put White, or mark both"

People with that type of thinking are too stupid to figure out a census.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 PM

14,931 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
But Cubans are mixed right?

Not all Cubans are Europeans, just as not all Cubans are Black Africans.
I think most of us human beings are of the "Heinz 57 variety" types, these days.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think most of us human beings are of the "Heinz 57 variety" types, these days.
Look I am not saying anything about mixed races, because my cousins are half Cuban and half, white African American. My sons are 1 st gen Irish and Cuban which has a family's line of all Spanish decent ( actually third gen from Spain) I guess I am sensitive to this because it would be like a following :

Where can I find real Irish folks in The USA not those BRED by Boston folks or those bred from those that came to New Orleans. My comment and offense was on how the question was asked, and to the benefit of the Op I thought he really meant to ask where can we find a Spain expat community. I was just pointing out to the manner of the question Op.

I am very VERY proud of my European heritage and all Americans that are NOT native should be, proud of where they come from, it is just offensive when you describe a group that was BRED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami