Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Lies lies lies
Agreed--the majority of the statements are laughable, wrong and reflect attributes of the poster rather than life in Miami. The few statements that are not ridiculous fabrications apply to almost any city. I think what people don't understand is that Miami is a city, just like NYC and LA are cities. Living in a city is not like life in the suburbs or rural areas. If that is what you want--do not move to a city expecting everyone to act like it was Mayberry RFD.

I've lived in an area that some people refer to as "paradise," but to my spouse and I living there is like death due to boredom and homogeneity. And after being in this boring "paradise," when we are in Miami, I feel absolutely alive and am much happier. In addition, in the boring "paradise" if you dare to speak ill of it, people take it personally and defensively attack you. Nobody in Miami or NYC really care if you don't like it there as they have their own identities, are busy living their lives and do not look at Miami as a reflection of themselves. What the naysayers do not get is that this is about them, not Miami. Everyone does not like it everywhere. So if you hate it--just leave, rather than being a Debbie Downer who turns other people off with negative bs about a place others like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 AM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W60 View Post
This is wrong. But I'll just say this, I've noticed a lot of the people who speak negatively of Miami, or even dade, have never lived there. Also, if you're a suburbs person and don't like cities then fine, but don't speak negatively of Miami, speak negative of cities.
It is very true. Its no secret that Miami today is a VERY different place that it used to be. A whole buncha people who owned homes here sold and moved away years ago when they saw the changes happening. Quite a few of them actually still post about this on these forums. I had a lot of friends who lived all over in Dade. From Aventura to Miami Beach, to 'Southwest', to Coral Gables...families all long gone from Florida. Back then, Miami was much more 'international' and 'multicultural' than it is now.

Regarding some of the posts in these forums from people who recently moved there and moved away disappointed, for the most part, their disappointment is because they moved there expecting it to be more like the way it used to be than the way it is now. I don't view it as negative to speak objectively about a place. Its not intended to be offensive. No place is perfect. Besides, many people who live in Miami like it the way it is and they post that on here too.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
"In addition, in the boring "paradise" if you dare to speak ill of it, people take it personally and defensively attack you."

....OMG, I responded to a post on the San Diego forum in which it asked would you consider moving and pointed out some negatives...like you, god forbid you mention anything negative you get the response of, "well, if you don't like it here, why don't you move," which I liken to a 6 year taking their ball, going home, and telling others I don't want to play with you anymore.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM

17 posts, read 22,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
It is very true. Its no secret that Miami today is a VERY different place that it used to be. A whole buncha people who owned homes here sold and moved away years ago when they saw the changes happening. Quite a few of them actually still post about this on these forums. I had a lot of friends who lived all over in Dade. From Aventura to Miami Beach, to 'Southwest', to Coral Gables...families all long gone from Florida. Back then, Miami was much more 'international' and 'multicultural' than it is now.

Regarding some of the posts in these forums from people who recently moved there and moved away disappointed, for the most part, their disappointment is because they moved there expecting it to be more like the way it used to be than the way it is now. I don't view it as negative to speak objectively about a place. Its not intended to be offensive. No place is perfect. Besides, many people who live in Miami like it the way it is and they post that on here too.
Those people are the ones who moved here thinking this area wasn't a major metro area. And don't make it out to be an exclusively Dade thing because it's true for all the areas counties, Dade, broward and palm beach. The area wasn't treated like a major metro area decades ago, that's one reason why it's so sprawled. Thank God that has been changing and improving and continues to do so day by day.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 PM

361 posts, read 837,468 times
Yep, South Florida was the retirement capital of the US, it's quickly becoming a young, fast-paced, international metropolis.
Most complains are coming from old residents I guess ...

Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM

216 posts, read 438,356 times
I have to agree that people in South Florida can be standoffish and it's not easy to meet friends.
I've been involved with a social sport (diving) that has been a source of friends, as have work and professional groups. My friends have the same experience... Meetup Groups are a great resource. Focus on the sports and activities meetups though, but avoid the "Singles" meetups ... went with a girlfriend to one of them and it was well, entertaining.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 AM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Agreed--the majority of the statements are laughable, wrong and reflect attributes of the poster rather than life in Miami. The few statements that are not ridiculous fabrications apply to almost any city. I think what people don't understand is that Miami is a city, just like NYC and LA are cities. Living in a city is not like life in the suburbs or rural areas. If that is what you want--do not move to a city expecting everyone to act like it was Mayberry RFD.

I've lived in an area that some people refer to as "paradise," but to my spouse and I living there is like death due to boredom and homogeneity. And after being in this boring "paradise," when we are in Miami, I feel absolutely alive and am much happier. In addition, in the boring "paradise" if you dare to speak ill of it, people take it personally and defensively attack you. Nobody in Miami or NYC really care if you don't like it there as they have their own identities, are busy living their lives and do not look at Miami as a reflection of themselves. What the naysayers do not get is that this is about them, not Miami. Everyone does not like it everywhere. So if you hate it--just leave, rather than being a Debbie Downer who turns other people off with negative bs about a place others like.

Again...subjective experience. 'Good' is always a point of view. What excites you about a place may bore others. Its not a bad thing to hear and respect the opinions of others, and there's no need to insult other people to express yours.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
I don't think he was insulting anybody. No need to be the "word police."

Old 04-12-2014, 10:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Been trying to do my research on Florida forums as I seriously consider/prepare to make a move to Brickell.

After visiting the FLL forum--my goodness, such doom and gloom. There's a post from a guy who said he moved to Brickell and has had a hard time making friends. Then others chimed in on how people in SoFla keep to themselves and their own ethnic/language groups, it's a car culture like LA instead of people being out and about, and they, too, have had problems.
There is doom and gloom on almost every forum; people are more vocal when they have complaints than when they are satisfied. Also, Florida tends to attract those thinking coming here will be some sort of fresh start, or they will enter some life like in the movies, reality hits hard and fast.

Quote:
I'm a fairly outgoing person, young and in shape 50 something, I do have my strong opinions but certainly welcome an eclectic international vibe, and generally don't have a problem running into people--nor have I on my recent 3 visits within the past 4 months (though they have only been for 4-5 days at a time). Even though I will be isolated from others during most of the day since I work out of a home office I find it hard to believe I would have that hard a time meeting people with a 'circuit' that consisted of morning coffee at Starbucks at Mary Brickell Village, joining Sports Club/LA, hitting sports bars, and making regular stops at hot spots in Brickell (Zuma, Il Gabbiano, Area 50) SoBe (1826, Prime Steakhouse, Smith & Wollensky, Juvia, Baoli, etc),Coral Gables and Coconut Grove, and festivals plus ballgames.
People either meet people, or they do not. I do not go out of my way to meet people at all, I know enough people, yet it seems like I am always striking up some sort of conversation, run-in, something in and around Brickell. I know a few people of course and again, I do not at all go out of my way to meet people, it just sort of happens, so if you are someone who makes any effort, it should be no problem.

I think a lot of the meeting issues are with the younger, less wealthy crowd, who tend to know people by what they can get out of each other rather than true friendship. Those types are friends with people since high school or something, so makes a small circle for a while until they get older and get the chasing the opposite sex out of their system as their primary goal.

Quote:
The other complaint that seems to make more sense was that the money you save with no state income tax will be eaten up (probably partially, not entirely) by higher property taxes and higher car insurance (per the posters, SoFla has the highest auto insurance rates in the country?) I realize HOA's for high rises are high, but they are on par with high rise HOA's in San Diego (elevators and maintenance) seem to be a huge expense
Well, you could live in Tennessee which has low taxes and insurance, but you will want to shoot yourself after a few months.

Quote:
Appreciate any insight on above comments with respect to Miami and am hoping you can at least make me feel more comfortable. I'm thinking of moving from San Diego more for people issues of my own and am hoping some of you from the optimists club can reassure my thought process and validate my decision to come to FL.

Thanks
I love Miami, it is the only city in the US I can stand living in. I am I guess an "anglo" (though regarding phenotype, I am difficult to tell so get mistaken for being Hispanic sometimes), do not speak any Spanish, and have been living in Brickell going on four years. Oh yes, I make pretty good money and work from home, this is just info so you see what perspective I look at Miami from.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM

179 posts, read 308,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W60 View Post
This is wrong. But I'll just say this, I've noticed a lot of the people who speak negatively of Miami, or even dade, have never lived there. Also, if you're a suburbs person and don't like cities then fine, but don't speak negatively of Miami, speak negative of cities.
I've lived in Broward and Dade. My wife is Colombian and has lived in Brooklyn and Miami. We both have the same opinion of this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami