Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:49 PM

67 posts, read 133,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Could you tell me where is this place in the picture ? what is the name of this place? Is this Doral?
No, I got it from google. It's apparently a suburb of Las Vegas or Phoenix, but these kind of badly planned neighborhoods aren't exactly to difficult to find at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
To the OP, 1 DOWN 39 INDEPENDENT MUNICIPALITIES TO CHECK OUT in this small county/city.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 PM

140 posts, read 434,406 times
have you guys seen the Rotonda neighborhood in west florida? Rotonda West, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM

I believe I have read where these homogenous neighborhoods of today are the slums of tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Miami...13.97,,0,16.43

Oh this place has a look of death, oh my eyes are glazed at least that is the way it looks for the guy in the golf cart.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Miami...13.97,,0,16.43

Oh this place has a look of death, oh my eyes are glazed at least that is the way it looks for the guy in the golf cart.
Uh oh. The guy in the golf cart looks like he's at death's door!!!!

Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,994 times
He's probably trying to figure out how he is going to cross the wooden bridge.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
This thread is hilarious, sad, unbelievable and stupid all rolled into one. How someone moves cross country, especially with a family, without THOROUGHLY checking out the area and neighborhood they're going to live is beyond me. The only reason I can see for doing this is if you're fleeing for your life or running from the law. Hopefully, at least, it'll be a lesson learned for the future.

And the Cuban blame is a nice touch too.
I agree. This wasn't a move due to a family illness or an elderly parent. Or as you mentioned someone running from the law or in the witness protection program. This is someone who CHOSE to relocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Connor View Post
I did research the area. Otherwise, I would not have chosen a 7 month rental. I did not, however, know that Doral was this bad. You can do all the research you want but until you are in a place, you never know the truth.

For example, my 4 year old son has glazed eyes when we drive in Doral . In California he would smile and jump and point and ask questions because the State of California is like a fine, custom made fitted tailored suit crisp to perfection. Here, his eyes are dull and lifeless and he goes to sleep in the car. What kind of research provides insight into this behavior?
How can you say you researched the area? Having lived in both CA and FL I agree with you, CA wins hands down on so many levels.

But how did you do research? Research involves driving around an area, going into stores, talking to locals, etc.

Did you physically drive around the area first???? Sure doesn't sound like it.

Your original post acts like you're shocked to find where you ended up. It doesn't make any sense.

From what you wrote it sounds like you accepted a job by doing a Skype interview from CA.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,707 times
I think the OP indicated he was given a promotion within his company so good chance a Skype interview was not even necessary. Better salary in a cheaper area may have led him to simply jump ship without thinking through the implications/options.

OP: As has been stated, very hard to find a replacement or substitute for the walkability and the diverse options of the San Francisco Bay area. That said, I think Coral Gables is a really nice and charming area. Great architecture.

Given how large of a house you want, not likely to be in your budget.

But my mouth waters looking at a 1920's Spanish style gem like this one in Coral Gables listed for $469,000:
335 Sarto Ave, Coral Gables, FL 33134 is For Sale - Zillow

And it is not far from downtown Coral Gables/Miracle Mile area. Put that same house in a desirable part of Los Angeles or the East Bay and you could not touch this for less than $750,000 or $800,000 before upgrades. And this one in CG is turn key.

The trade offs; however, have to be factored in and they have kept me staying put in Calif. for now. Still get tempted from time to time.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,994 times
^^ For Miami standards that is a lot of money for a house that is only 1,100 sqft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami