Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 AM

42 posts, read 46,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Culture schock???? plenty of diversity in VA and NC. Take family oriented, safe, better people, schools, quality of life over entertainment (beaches). Beaches get old after a while anyway, pick a place best for family. Your family in Miami will be moving up to NC/GA or TN anyway eventually, almost all do after living in Miami who are looking for a better QOL.
I've lived in a small city in eastern NC for the last 13 years... and I teach in the public school system... the only diversity here is what the "home grown residents" refer to as Mexican, White or Black... and anyone is looks distinctly asian is either Chinese or Mexican... Don't get me wrong, this city hasn't been all bad, I wouldn't have stayed so long, but I don't see it getting better... I don't want my child to live in a bubble that this is the way life is supposed to be or the stereotypical boxes that people create for themselves.. the children that don't break cycles because they have no idea how, and unfortunately because the racial lines are so clear and defined, they're not taught how... it's very sad!!!

So yes, because of my experience I don't want to consider an unknown area where I don't know anyone, and end up in the same situation. And yes, I realize that may sound ignorant because I'm making a blanket statement, but I'm trying to do what;s best for my family. I;ve spent the last 8 years trying to educate my students about life, not just Math and trying to save them... but I haven't spent that energy on my own family. As far as QOL, for us, that includes culture and entertainment... which is why we're looking into different areas, including Raleigh and the surrounding areas is where we're looking into...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:06 AM

42 posts, read 46,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Paying more for higher test scores? None.

Instead, half your annual evaluation and pay would be based on test scores. It's called merit pay. I know so many teachers that have left the public school system because of this. It's really in decline.

Ever since the Florida legislature / governor passed SB 736 in 2010, many good teachers have left the profession. Florida is now amongst the worst states in the country to be a teacher.

Here's some info:
https://feaweb.org/senate-bill-736-h...l-it-affect-me

Just google "SB 736." There's a ton of information on it.

Do yourself a favor. Don't be a public school teacher in Florida. It's just not worth it.

Instead, I would recommend teaching in an elite private school like Palmer Trinity, Gulliver, Ransom, etc. Everything is better in those schools: pay, benefits, the students are much more motivated and well behaved, more support from the schools, more involved parents, etc.
Interesting... where I live, you make less in private schools... Thanks for the input... because we're also looking into the Raleigh area, I'm going to look into private school there. Maybe they pay more in different areas... never thought about it

Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 AM

600 posts, read 755,513 times
^^^They only pay more in the elite private schools ("the rich people schools"). That's why I suggested those schools (Palmer Trinity, Gulliver, Ransom, etc.)

Otherwise, "regular" private schools pay less than public schools.

Definitely, do look into the elite schools, wherever you decide to move to.

Rich people send their kids to these elite "exclusive" schools, where the tuition is much higher. Consequentially, the pay is higher to attract the best teachers and be able to keep them for the long run.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,479,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCityLife View Post
which is why we're looking into different areas, including Raleigh and the surrounding areas is where we're looking into...
Your money will go much further up there than in South Florida. I would guess if you moved back, your car insurance will double and your home insurance will triple. I have a friend in Atlanta and when she told be what her home insurance rate was, it was shocking how cheap it was compared to what we pay here in South Florida. I have a friend that moved to Durham, NC, which is right next to Raleigh, and they love it, they'll never move back to Miami. Their daughter is getting a better education in their eyes.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,943,168 times
Quote:
I apologize if I offended you... I'm sure you're correct for many reasons, but for me an my family... personally and in my most humble opinion... BECAUSE of my family in Miami and how close we are, we would have that already in place, and it would be like going back home. If I didn't have the family I do in Miami, I wouldn't have even considered moving back.... which now, after reading all the threads and all the homework I've done in the past 2 weeks, Miami is not the place...

No, no offense AT ALL I'm just telling it like it is, thats all.

as far as returning, i totally understand what you're saying. you'd have a support system there, i totaly understand.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I've lived in a small city in eastern NC for the last 13 years... and I teach in the public school system... the only diversity here is what the "home grown residents" refer to as Mexican, White or Black... and anyone is looks distinctly asian is either Chinese or Mexican... Don't get me wrong, this city hasn't been all bad, I wouldn't have stayed so long, but I don't see it getting better... I don't want my child to live in a bubble that this is the way life is supposed to be or the stereotypical boxes that people create for themselves.. the children that don't break cycles because they have no idea how, and unfortunately because the racial lines are so clear and defined, they're not taught how... it's very sad!!!

So yes, because of my experience I don't want to consider an unknown area where I don't know anyone, and end up in the same situation. And yes, I realize that may sound ignorant because I'm making a blanket statement, but I'm trying to do what;s best for my family. I;ve spent the last 8 years trying to educate my students about life, not just Math and trying to save them... but I haven't spent that energy on my own family. As far as QOL, for us, that includes culture and entertainment... which is why we're looking into different areas, including Raleigh and the surrounding areas is where we're looking into...

which is why i mentioned bigger cities in NC, SC and GA, etc. Not a really small city. A real small city in FL is gonna be the same thing as you are saying in Eastern NC.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:

good, much better option for you than Miami.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,951,767 times
People move to places to be near family mostly, that is what counts, if they are in Miami go there.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:36 PM

have the family move to NC, SC or TN when you decide.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,037,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Housing stock seems to be aging and is not what it once was back in the 90s, when Kendall was new and glamorous....
I lived in Kendall in the late 70s - early 80s (Kendale Lakes actually). It may have been relatively new then, but I'm not sure Kendall was ever what anyone would consider glamorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami