Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,787 times

Advertisements

[mod]Flaming[/mod] It may have its crime and drugs but unlike the suburbia its not hidden!! You may see it more on the streets but at least the people there are a COMMUNITY!! A community of people who love their home, love their streets and try their hardest to be something other then the box YOU PEOPLE have put them in!! Instead of staying away and being afraid of the Grove you should try to talk to some of the neighbors there!! [mod]Flaming[/mod]

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-05-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,899 times
As a newbie to Miami, I find the neighborhoods here fascinating. I went for a walk in Coconut Grove the other day, and went from beautiful homes, exclusive private schools, and huge mansions on the water in Coral Gables, to the "ghetto". I have never lived any place where the neighborhoods change so fast, in a 30 minute walk.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 PM

23 posts, read 85,068 times
Coconut grove is weird due to the fact that you are seeing huge mansions one side and BAAMMM!!! you're in a ugly area.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 39,439 times
Yea just stay east of McDonald St. and you'll be ok.......in my experience, that "element" doesn't really interfere with Coconut Grove nightlife, well, what's left of it..........oh and if you want a neighborhood that changes fast from good to bad, how bout Washington DC........ever steer too far from the White House?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM

259 posts, read 840,595 times
I, for one, have learned to never to take a "side road" anywhere in Miami. I might get murked!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:15 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I was attempting to find the main area of fancy exclusive Coconut Grove last week and took a side road off Highway 1 that I thought might get me there. It took me through an incredibly poverty stricken neighborhood with some real rough looking characters hanging out. In a few blocks I was in the middle of the Coconut Grove shopping district. What a shock. I had never seen a neighborhood change so fast.

I saw none of the type of people who were hanging out in the nearby ghetto in Coconut Grove. Why not, it is just blocks away? Does the bad element ever drift into Coconut Grove and cause trouble? Maybe, because I thought the area had lost some of its energy even on a warm Satuday night.
That poverty stricken ghetto has always been there and is not going away .... this is not news . I used to hang out in the Grove in the 80's and the ghetto was there .... so what .. you ignore it and do not venture in there .... the Grove is what it is .... a fun place to hang out on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon for a cocktail ... it also has its charm with many neighborhoods being quite lovely ... you can go into the Grove evey day for the rest of your life and not see , feel or hear that poverty stricken ghetto if you do not want to .

Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I never cared much for "The Grove". Mainly due to the bad element being so close by.

I'm not sure if there's any "spillover", but I can imagine it happens.
I frequent the "Grove " quite a bit and no there is not much spillover the "ghetto " element seems to stay in their areas ... I have never seen anyone shot , robbed or raped as others on here claim ..... yet I have enjoyed Monty Trainers , Scottys Landing , The Mayfair and several of the other bars and restaurants in the area .... the Grove is a fine place to have some fun .

Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovegrl View Post
Moderator cut: Flaming It may have its crime and drugs but unlike the suburbia its not hidden!! You may see it more on the streets but at least the people there are a COMMUNITY!! A community of people who love their home, love their streets and try their hardest to be something other then the box YOU PEOPLE have put them in!! Instead of staying away and being afraid of the Grove you should try to talk to some of the neighbors there!! Moderator cut: Flaming
Relax and take a deep breath !!!!

Now then I agree with you .... I like the Grove and I am sure there are many fine people living there .... who cares what a few nay sayers on here post .

Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 AM

888 posts, read 886,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I was attempting to find the main area of fancy exclusive Coconut Grove last week and took a side road off Highway 1 that I thought might get me there. It took me through an incredibly poverty stricken neighborhood with some real rough looking characters hanging out. In a few blocks I was in the middle of the Coconut Grove shopping district. What a shock. I had never seen a neighborhood change so fast.

I saw none of the type of people who were hanging out in the nearby ghetto in Coconut Grove. Why not, it is just blocks away? Does the bad element ever drift into Coconut Grove and cause trouble? Maybe, because I thought the area had lost some of its energy even on a warm Satuday night.
You kind of already answered your own question, no? Did you see residents from West Grove hanging out in East Grove?

By the way, I love the Grove to death (all of it, not just East Grove), but I definitely would not call it fancy and exclusive. There is a Hooters and a Johnny Rockets there, plus a designer rip-off sunglasses shop. What's fancy about that?

Or are you talking about a large segment of our well-dressed and good-looking population that sometimes hangs out there?

Exclusive means to exclude...and if residents from the West Grove want to hang out in CocoWalk, it's their choice. I might actually prefer them over drunk and obnoxious Anglo tourists.

How come I never see Europeans or South Americans vomit all over the sidewalks, yet the guy from Michigan, his huge hamburger is all in disgusting chunks splattered all over the sidewalk?

Am I stereotyping here?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times
I used to work @ the grove next to Grand Ave and I had to pass that skanky side of the grove. Scary!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami