Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:50 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Umm actually, I'm Cuban and a lot of the reasons they hate for it are valid and not that they're "uncomfortable" with it. I have a friend, African-American, Georgia native, and she hates Miami and one of them is she says Cubans, particularly white Cubans, are extremely racist to black Americans. I sadly agree, at least for older Cuban born generations. my mom completely freaked out when she came to visit one day, because I told her I had invited a friend over to watch a movie, and she didn't expect her to be black. My older relatives hold lots of negative stereotypes about black people.
No surprise there. The US unfortunately got many racist Cubans after the Revolution, since part of the Revolution was acceptance, especially of blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 10:10 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
And that attitude is why some people don't like Miami. Has nothing to do with large Hispanic populations (how many people dislike San Antonio and San Diego versus Miami?) Miami sadly has lots of arrogant stuck up people. Ignorance of the rest of the state is not something to be proud of. There's tons of beauty in other parts of Florida, you're acting like Miami is like an oasis in a desert of nothing. Tons of cute beach towns, nice small towns, amusement parks, historic sites, lots of nature on the coast and inland. So many natural springs to swim in, might I add. Florida offers more than nightclubs, buddy. Cape friggin' Canaveral, for starters.
I didn't say it was an oasis, I said there is not much to see. It's mostly more of the same. I know Florida more than what you assumed, I know the state from Pensacola all the way to Key West. East and West coast. Even inland places like immokalee, Belle Glade, Lake City and Lake Wales. I guess you know me very well and know what I like is nightclubs

Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 AM

426 posts, read 394,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
No surprise there. The US unfortunately got many racist Cubans after the Revolution, since part of the Revolution was acceptance, especially of blacks.

If you talk to people from NY, for them most of the country is inhabited by "hicks". I find many travelling around Europe and they don't seem interested in the US at all. For them, places like North Carolina and Texas offer no interest at all. Maybe that's a minoritarian opinion in NY. I guess that many Miamians feel the same, more so taking into account that many are from NY.

Communists destroyed mulatto middle class in Cuba wich was relatively important 55 years ago, they were not allowed to leave. The revolution was implemented by extremelly racist "guajiros" (crackers) from rural areas that destroyed diverse and "sinful" Havanna, destroyed black music, outlawed their religion and declared them "white by decree".

There's certain paralelism among crackers, many of those communist rural crackers were protestant, just like Cruz's father.

Last edited by Krokodill; 03-13-2016 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Huh?...they are a mix of everything and the women are some of the best looking I've run into...there is Spanish, Black, Black Asian, trigueno, Asian, white mix (from the Russians being there for so many years along with European tourists, especially Italians, "intermingling")...you name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Aren't Cubans White? They're not WASP in look or culture (there are a few exceptions) but they are White.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:51 PM

289 posts, read 305,241 times
Quote:
And that attitude is why some people don't like Miami. Has nothing to do with large Hispanic populations (how many people dislike San Antonio and San Diego versus Miami?) Miami sadly has lots of arrogant stuck up people. Ignorance of the rest of the state is not something to be proud of. There's tons of beauty in other parts of Florida, you're acting like Miami is like an oasis in a desert of nothing. Tons of cute beach towns, nice small towns, amusement parks, historic sites, lots of nature on the coast and inland. So many natural springs to swim in, might I add. Florida offers more than nightclubs, buddy. Cape friggin' Canaveral, for starters.
Except that Miami IS largely an oasis in a dessert. There are a handful of really interesting cities in Florida, most of which tend to be on the coast in the south. And even among them, Miami is the only one that's a true world-class city. The others largely pale in comparison to the Miami metro area.

Or put it another way, the rest of the state has a bad case of "you think you're better than me?"

Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 AM

249 posts, read 419,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Usually it's the central and northern Floridians that hate on Miami. "too much traffic" "it's north cuba" "It's a 3rd world country" and on and on . . . . when in reality, Miami makes them uncomfortable because culturally it's not white or "american" feeling to them. That's the real reason they hate on it
This is true but only for one segment of people who hate Miami. Maybe the majority. A lot of people though hate it for other more valid reasons. Usually the people who fall in this category actually lived here. Traffic, politics, cost of living, etc.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:27 AM

249 posts, read 419,863 times
BTW, I've not read the replies to Optimus yet but I'm sure a lot of Floridians that aren't from Miami took offense to it. Ironically some of those people are exactly what he described and they are mad because they knew they fell into that category.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM

471 posts, read 621,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I was in Miami this weekend and loved it despite the horrible drivers, traffic and rude people. I am sure that many people think it is a crap hole compared to other cities that are more quaint and conservative.

What is your perspective on this matter?
Miami is a world class city and the rest of florida is underdeveloped and boring.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM

426 posts, read 394,412 times
And religious..

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Huh?...they are a mix of everything and the women are some of the best looking I've run into...there is Spanish, Black, Black Asian, trigueno, Asian, white mix (from the Russians being there for so many years along with European tourists, especially Italians, "intermingling")...you name it.
The Spanish are white European. The intermingling from Russians and European tourists into the Cuban genome is minuscule compared the immigrants from Spain. In the 19th century there were great numbers of immigrants from the Canary Islands to Cuba and Puerto Rico. Other areas of Spain that contributed lots of immigrants were Galicia in NW Spain, which is one of the 7 Celtic Nations. It is interesting to note that the Spain and Portugal share the largest number of genetic markers with Great Britain and Ireland. Thus some Cubans with Blonde or Red hair and pale skin.

Just to be clear I am not saying Cubans are WASPs or denying that many Cubans are mixed heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami