Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:13 AM

23 posts, read 26,039 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on moving to Miami in December/January. I would be coming down there without a job, and then will start job searching once I'm there. I have a bachelors in computer science and I'm currently a Software Engineer. I have about $23,000 saved up. I was wondering if this is a good amount to come down there with? Seeing as it will probably take a bit to find a job, and i'll need to eat, pay rent, etc.

Also, I'm a 26 year old, white, male. How is the single life down there as far as dating and making friends, of course it looks nice in the "movies" but realistically, how is it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:33 AM

892 posts, read 860,423 times
Computer Science jobs pay here much less than they pay in the rest of the country. But that doesn't mean you won't be lucky. Currently there are a lot of start-ups in the Wynwood area and then there is Citrix in Ft. Lauderdale.

With 23k you will need to find a job fast, many rental places will look for 'proof of employment' except the Flamingo I think. I'd recommend you find a cheap motel/hostel while you look at rentals but then look at the Flamingo condominium tower. You can look at other places too, I just think the Flamingo is better for you for a couple reasons

1)It's in South Beach
2)Has a young, party oriented crowd (that's why you're here, admit it)
3)Poor background checks will allow you in, fast, without much overhead and with 23k you don't have much overhead.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Computer Science jobs pay here much less than they pay in the rest of the country. But that doesn't mean you won't be lucky. Currently there are a lot of start-ups in the Wynwood area and then there is Citrix in Ft. Lauderdale.

With 23k you will need to find a job fast, many rental places will look for 'proof of employment' except the Flamingo I think. I'd recommend you find a cheap motel/hostel while you look at rentals but then look at the Flamingo condominium tower. You can look at other places too, I just think the Flamingo is better for you for a couple reasons

1)It's in South Beach
2)Has a young, party oriented crowd (that's why you're here, admit it)
3)Poor background checks will allow you in, fast, without much overhead and with 23k you don't have much overhead.
Thanks for the reply. Would signing a 6 month lease and giving the 6 months up front be an option? Not sure what the leases are like there. I know in Rhode Island (where i'm currently living), you have to sign a year lease. Just trying to avoid getting a job right away, because I would like some time to relax, get familiar with the area, and adapt to the change before I go back into the office life.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm8082 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would signing a 6 month lease and giving the 6 months up front be an option? Not sure what the leases are like there. I know in Rhode Island (where i'm currently living), you have to sign a year lease. Just trying to avoid getting a job right away, because I would like some time to relax, get familiar with the area, and adapt to the change before I go back into the office life.
You might need to sign a lease, but I think they have M-2-M as well but expect such options to be much much more expensive. Are you only here for 6 months? That's not enough to get to know Miami, don't be afraid to sign a 1 year lease.

Most typical rentals it's 1st month, deposit (=first month), last months, plus any HOA deposit if there is an HOA. However, that's a lot of overhead, even the cheaper rentals here, that might equate to just 10k of your 23k to move in. This is why the Flamingo is a better option, they only require deposit/1st month. No HOA, no last month.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
You might need to sign a lease, but I think they have M-2-M as well but expect such options to be much much more expensive. Are you only here for 6 months? That's not enough to get to know Miami, don't be afraid to sign a 1 year lease.

Most typical rentals it's 1st month, deposit (=first month), last months, plus any HOA deposit if there is an HOA. However, that's a lot of overhead, even the cheaper rentals here, that might equate to just 10k of your 23k to move in. This is why the Flamingo is a better option, they only require deposit/1st month. No HOA, no last month.
Thanks, what's the prices like at Flamingo for monthly rent? Also, how is the single life down there as far as meeting new friends and single girls? Is there a lot of people down there solo or is it mostly just spring breakers/vacationers. Is there a lot of open minded people or do people have their inner circles and don't open up to new faces?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm8082 View Post
Thanks, what's the prices like at Flamingo for monthly rent? Also, how is the single life down there as far as meeting new friends and single girls? Is there a lot of people down there solo or is it mostly just spring breakers/vacationers. Is there a lot of open minded people or do people have their inner circles and don't open up to new faces?
I think rental prices range from somewhere 1,800 for a studio and higher. But I'm not sure, you will need to contact them yourself. No point asking me, I'm not their real-estate agent.

You might be able to find a roommate and split a 2-bedroom which will make your expenses even less.

Lots of young people in the Flamingo, it's probably the best place for a singles scene in Miami Beach. Other condominium towers are older. Renting a town-house will make it harder for you to meet other people.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:29 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Is $23k realistic? Yeah, you have about 2X - 3X what you need to make the move comfortably. You would want to start working pretty quickly. The job market is good if you don't mind doing something else while looking for your CS career. There are tons of places you could be. I think $1800+ is a little bit much to take on in your situation. I'd definitely be looking for a cheaper place.

If you want to be on Miami Beach, then there are plenty of studios in the $1100 - $1200 range. Which might make more sense if you don't want to feel stressed. Personally, I'd be looking for a basic job to get started. Service industry is great in Miami so you have plenty of opportunities. Waiting tables or something. And you can easily earn enough to not dig into your savings. Then focus on finding the right CS job and go from there. But that's just my opinion, you'll figure it out. The short answer is that $23k is WAY more than enough to make the move.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Is $23k realistic? Yeah, you have about 2X - 3X what you need to make the move comfortably. You would want to start working pretty quickly. The job market is good if you don't mind doing something else while looking for your CS career. There are tons of places you could be. I think $1800+ is a little bit much to take on in your situation. I'd definitely be looking for a cheaper place.

If you want to be on Miami Beach, then there are plenty of studios in the $1100 - $1200 range. Which might make more sense if you don't want to feel stressed. Personally, I'd be looking for a basic job to get started. Service industry is great in Miami so you have plenty of opportunities. Waiting tables or something. And you can easily earn enough to not dig into your savings. Then focus on finding the right CS job and go from there. But that's just my opinion, you'll figure it out. The short answer is that $23k is WAY more than enough to make the move.
There are no, or close to no studios for 1100-1200 in South Beach. There are 1 bedrooms in a townhouse or apartment (sublet) for that amount.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:06 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
There are no, or close to no studios for 1100-1200 in South Beach. There are 1 bedrooms in a townhouse or apartment (sublet) for that amount.

A quick zillow search brought up at least 15 studios on Miami beach in that range.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
A quick zillow search brought up at least 15 studios on Miami beach in that range.
List Just 3 of them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami