Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 25,818 times

Advertisements

I happened upon this forum and have learned a great deal about Miami from all the great postings. I would greatly appreciate some advise concerning some nice livable neighborhoods in Miami and in the surrounding area. I'm a white, mid-forties partnered healthcare professional. I like a more urban setting close to entertainment venues (restaurants, shopping etc.). I embrace diversity but prefer not to be a minority in the neighbor in which I live. I hope to buy a single family house in the 500k range. I checked out a few areas that seem to fit the bill (Normandy Isle Biarritz Dr., Surfside, and Biscayne Park, and Coconut Grove). Am I on the right track? Also, what about the Design District or Morningside. Finally, any thought about Ft Lauderdale (Victoria Park or Wilton Manor). Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysm View Post
Finally, any thought about Ft Lauderdale (Victoria Park or Wilton Manor). Thanks for the help.
I can tell you about those areas.

Both of those neighborhoods have an OVERWHELMING gay population. In fact, the largest in the country. I'm talking more than San Francisco. If you don't mind that, these are vibrant, old-Floridaish funky neighborhoods that are clean and close to the beaches and some of the other good stuff, but are pretty safe, although Wilton Manors borders on some bad areas, so there is a fairly high rate of property crime in that area, and the stores on the major thoroughfares have a tendency to get robbed, although muggings and home invasions are not common. In other words, get a security system and you would be fine.

Also, consider Coral Gables and the Hollywood Lakes section of Hollywood (east of US1).

In Miami, you are definitely looking at the right places, except for the Design District/Mooringside which is pretty scuzzy.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks so much "compelled to reply" your reply post is very helpful. One other quick thing please. Is Bayside or the Upper east side the same as the design district?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 AM

551 posts, read 3,123,492 times
Yes, Wilton Manor is VERY gay (not sure if that's what you're looking for or not). Upper Eastside/Morningside has a big gay population as well. I think it's a fairly decent neighborhood and you wouldn't be a minority there, as it is one area of Miami that contains a fair amount of whites. It is kind of an "up and coming" neighborhood and has a lot of people who really care about their community. Seems like a neat place to live. The Design District is kind of scuzzy and is just too close to some bad neighborhoods for comfort (I'm talking a block or two). It's supposedly been "up and coming" as well for years, but just can't quite take off, probably because of its proximity to these bad neighborhoods. People just don't want to live there. I live in Coconut Grove and love it. I know many people who say they "wouldn't live anywhere else" in Miami (unless, of course, you can afford a million dollar home in the Gables) and I feel the same way. The Grove is pretty centrally located and it won't take you long to get places you'll want to go (borders Coral Gables, 10 minutes to downtown, maybe 15-20 to South Beach), plus, there is a lot to do within the Grove itself. Check out Edgewater as well, although it's pricey.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM

Hi illini8,
Great info, I appreciate the insight. Yes, I happen to be gay but I'm comfortable in most any situation so a gay neighborhood is not a prerequisite for me. Still what confuses me most is how Bayside and Morningside relate to the Design District. Any further insight on this?
Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
Re: Victoria Park vs. Wilton Manors. Victoria Park ranks near the top of charming neighborhoods not just in Fort Lauderdale, but in all of South Florida, and it's about as close to downtown Fort Lauderdale as you can get without actually living in one of the high-rises near Las Olas Boulevard.

On the other hand, my educated guess is that you might be able to get a little more house for your money in Wilton Manors (though at $500K, you'll won't be lacking for options in both areas). Compelled's assessment of crime in the Manors is spot on; in general, the farther east you go, the better.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 02-21-2008 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysm View Post
Hi illini8,
Great info, I appreciate the insight. Yes, I happen to be gay but I'm comfortable in most any situation so a gay neighborhood is not a prerequisite for me. Still what confuses me most is how Bayside and Morningside relate to the Design District. Any further insight on this?
Thanks
I used to live at Palm Bay Yacht Club in Bayside... Morningside and Bayside are very similar... So is Belle Meade.. More or less the same... Morningside and Belle Meade are now gated but not really gated... You can still get in without security asking where you are going.. Morningside is around the 55-57th area off of Biscayne... Bayside if off 69st... Belle Meade is off of like 73 or 74th... Design Ditrict is south from there around 38th St between NE 2 Ave and NW 2nd Ave... This area is OK if it's day light not really a place to live in my opinion but you can figure that out yourself... I wouldn't personally live in that area nor would I expose my wife to that area.. Way too ghetto for me... You are bordering shady areas all around you.. While this may seem tame, it becomes complex when you need gas at 10PM or when you have visitors over and they get lost..you get the picture.. It's just no pleasant in my opinion... These areas may get better over time but not for a while... I have been hearing that all of these areas are getting cleaned up at least 10 years now... it's not an overnight project at all... They are getting better but still takes a while...

I liked Bayside, Morningside and Belle Meade but I can tell you right now that theft a huge problem... I still have friends in that area and they hear of people that are constantly getting broken into including themselves twice.. Since it's City of Miami Police there, be prepared to wait hours for someone to show up if your alarm goes off or if you have an emergency... A lot of people got fed up and moved...

Check out Miami Shores.. I lived there for two years... It was better than Morningside and Bayside crime wise but I still heard of people's home getting broken into but a whole lot less frequently.. I never had a problem while I lived there.. The more East you go the better...

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
I second the Hollywood Beach area. Would seem to fit your bill perfectly. It's nice to walk downtown and get some gelato or listen to some live music. And, it's pretty safe and close to the beach and boardwalk. People are more down to earth than South Beach too. I lived in Surfside/Bal Harbor when I first moved down here - everything is a 20-30 minute drive away (except the beach) and the town itself is boring.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks Spyderman. Really helpful advise which I'll definitely take.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM

Thanks Fauve. Would you say that Hollywood is a better bet than Victoria Park in Ft. Lauderdale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami