Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 9,986 times

Advertisements

Newly married couple moving to Miami Dade. I will be working Aventura (30 years old) at work by 630am leave 530pm. The Wife (28 years old) will be working in Kendall with the same hours. We are trying to find a place in the middle or out of respect I would drive farther. I have been researching the fourms and noticed Coral Gables and Brickwell. Any other thoughts or recommendations. Most likely will rent a condo or apartment.

We are laid back, like to catch happy hour some nights. Mostly homebody during the week due to work. We live for the weekends. Also have a 20' boat would like to bring down, but notice storage is costly. Any thoughts on storage or living quarters that allow boat storage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 08:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Brickell to Kendal would be one hairy commute...

And Coral Gables to Aventura not a walk in the park either.

Early morning commute hours will make it a lot better, but leaving work at 5:30pm - you will be in he meat of it.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:45 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times
You will spend at least 2 hours in traffic... depending on what part of kendall... dm if you need any more info... i used to do the exact same commute

Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Brickell to Kendall - you'd be going opposite of most people. That's not saying you won't have traffic, but it won't be as bad as the reverse trek.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM

7 posts, read 9,986 times
Thanks for the Help!!

Any other areas, that would be more suitable besides Brickwell, Coral Gables.

If I am going to be stuck in traffic no matter what, should I just pick the best area. What is a walkable area or maybe access to the train for the weekends.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
The early morning will be find no matter what, and you both should be relatively fine (you more than her- 1 is not really a picnic) if you choose to live in Brickell.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:25 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
How about the Sunset area?

You will be close enough to 826 (Palmetto)

I hate 826 with a passion, but at least it is a highway that will bring you to the Aventura area, and during your commute time it should be OK.

And from Sunset, it should be much closer to Kendall for your wife.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...4!4d-80.352275

Old 09-18-2016, 01:53 PM

170 posts, read 190,167 times
There are nice areas of West Miami Lakes and new developments in extreme West Hialeah which will be reasonable early morning commutes to Kendall via (dare I say) 826 and or the Turnpike. Also a fairly straight shot east to Aventura via again 826 and or alternative combinations like the Gratigny Expressway to I95 and/or West Dixie Highway. The new developments in extreme West Hialeah and extreme West Miami Lakes are pretty darn nice and I believe somewhat affordable. Guessing soem avaible from high $200,000s to perhaps $350,000 for a townhouse.

The commute to Aventura IMO would be the tougher one, because congestion IME tends to increase as we all pack ourselves closer to the coast. But, please consider the exact location of her office in Kendall since Kendall traffic can also be horrible, but IME it varies depending upon the location in Kendall. Aventura traffic on the otherhand is a complete mess during the week.

Community-wise, I belive that the newer communities West of 826 are best; and ideally West of the Turnpike but I think these are mostly priced way North of $400k. Not sure of your budget. Like anywhere else, you can get some beautiul homes in these areas if you can afford it.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:15 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Other options to consider are the areas of midtown Miami and downtown doral. Both offer modern highrises with plenty of dining and shopping options on the ground floor. So the commutes will be ugly (no way to avoid that unless one of you gets a new job), but you won't have to drive once you get there.

One of my clients recently chose the midtown option, and frankly the easiest association I have ever dealt with.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Either way, it will be a painful commute situation.

I would also consider Miami Beach or North Bay Village for the boat storage/dockage available, sometimes right beside the building. Reverse commute both to Kendall and Aventura. Going up to Aventura and back on Collins is actually not too bad--avoids I-95 and US1 entirely. "Kendall" is a large area, but if you mean the Dadeland part of Kendall, the US1 portion wouldn't be too bad in the reverse direction, though you'd hit some traffic leaving downtown to the north in the evening commute. You'd have to get a place with two parking spots or park the second car in the street or garage. Midtown, downtown, and Brickell: similar "reverse commute" situation, parking probably easier, but minus the potential for on site boat docking. All of these would be walkable, downtown/Brickell has the Metrorail, though keep in mind it doesn't go many places.

If it's Dadeland, another possibility would be living in Aventura (plenty of boat storage and dockage) and wife parks at Golden Glades (or you drop her off) and takes the express bus and Metrorail. There are also a few trips a day that leave from Aventura Mall. Better yet, if it's Dadeland, live in downtown or Brickell and wife takes the Metrorail direct in 20 minutes would be best! Depends on her tolerance for public transportation, of course.

Dadeland/Sunset could work if you have the patience and stamina to drive up the Palmetto as suggested by ruski. Not a cakewalk, but doable. Golden Glades interchange is an accident machine, and getting between I-95 and Aventura during rush hour is BRUTAL and can easily be 15-20 minutes just for that last mile! Plan at least an hour and half each way. Also, boat storage would be more of an issue in that case.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami