Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:08 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

In any case, the most important thing I got out of this thread is a new desire for trained ducks.
What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami has not had a hurricane since 1926. They are a rare and special occurrence. You are lucky to experience one major storm in a lifetime. As for me I have generators at mom's and my home and always keep food supplies stocked. My ducks are trained to go inside during storms so they should be fine.
His ducks are trained, and probably in a row as well!

Old 10-04-2016, 09:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Of course there were hurricanes Donna, Cleo, David, and the like that affected Miami, Wilma damaged many buildings in Miami too. Yet only the 1926 hurricane was a real powerful storm with meaningful impacts, it ended the first Florida real estate bubble! Hurricane Andrew did not hit the city of Miami any more than it affected me in Key Largo, which was not far away.

Oh and yes my ducks are trained, they may be grateful for being saved from the condo that wanted them dead. I pet and even pick up my ducks and cuddle them as pets. It really amazes me how some people can just kill them because they poop or are ugly. Sure I eat their eggs and have cooked one on occasion, but I am quite amazed how nice they can be.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Of course there were hurricanes Donna, Cleo, David, and the like that affected Miami, Wilma damaged many buildings in Miami too. Yet only the 1926 hurricane was a real powerful storm with meaningful impacts, it ended the first Florida real estate bubble! Hurricane Andrew did not hit the city of Miami any more than it affected me in Key Largo, which was not far away.

Oh and yes my ducks are trained, they may be grateful for being saved from the condo that wanted them dead. I pet and even pick up my ducks and cuddle them as pets. It really amazes me how some people can just kill them because they poop or are ugly. Sure I eat their eggs and have cooked one on occasion, but I am quite amazed how nice they can be.

WTF are you talking about?? What drugs are you on seriously?? My sisters house was completely demolished in Cutler Ridge off 186th and Franjo which is way north of Key Largo and way south of City of Miami. What about Country Walk?? We lost part of our roof in Pinecrest..

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-07-2016 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
Media loves to drum it up like its the end of the world......GMA was talking about evacuating the whole state.
My guess is rain and heavy surf.Don't worry,be happy

Old 10-05-2016, 06:52 AM

515 posts, read 624,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
WTF are you talking about?? What drugs are you on seriously?? My sisters house was completely demolished in Cutler Ridge off 186th and Franjo which is way north of Key Largo and way south of City of Miami. What about Country Walk?? We lost part of our roof in Pinecrest..

***MOD CUT***
I think he means Cutler Ridge, Country Walk and Pinecrest are not the City of Miami. Technically true. Hurricane Andrew hit Miami-Dade County, not the City of Miami.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-07-2016 at 07:27 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 07:20 AM

633 posts, read 581,518 times
As someone who was home in a hurricane I can tell you a few mistakes we made.

Not moving cars and gassing them up. New cars can't suck gas out of tank and in morning cars were totaled anyhow.

Not moving generators upstairs in house along with raising up the gas cans. The water flooded the garages and sheds and none of worked anyhow.

Heating oil, folks dont realize heating oil lighter than water. A few neighbors got a full tank days before storm and water flooded basement tanks broke loose and filled house with oil.

Not securing floating docks.

Leaving boats on blocks in backyard.

Not trimming trees. Not moving stuff upstairs.

Not evacuating.

Buying too much food ahead of time as with power out a lot goes bad.

Moving cars inside garages. When salt water hit electric seats and stuff set car on fire indoors.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:23 AM

633 posts, read 581,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
My first big one was David. We left the house at the last minute; it was scary as hell.

The water from the canal was going into our pool. It was crazy.
Hurricanne Gloria in 1986 my friends beach house on Dune road in Hamptons. One wave took his 3,000 square foot house out to sea. Nothing left.

Second wave pulled his inground pool out of ground and in morning concrete shell was sitting on beach around 200 feet away. I also saw a house on Fire Island end up on other side of bay, It is not the wind it is the water that will kill you.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:28 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:

So.... Andrew was a non-event because it didn't affect you directly, or make its worst impact on the city of Miami? I believe there a lots of folks who'd disagree with you.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
As mentioned above, the city of Miami is not Dade county but inside of it. After Andrew they changed the name of the county to Miami-Dade which tends to confuse some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami