Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

It seems we are gonna be impacted in one way or another

Time to
Fill up your tank
Get some cash
Non-Perishable Food
Make sure you have batteries

I will probably put my shutters today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 08:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
All we will get is a lack of rain and even more heat and humidity when it passes east. Get set for a repeat of July weather.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
All we will get is a lack of rain and even more heat and humidity when it passes east. Get set for a repeat of July weather.
I hope you're proven right over time. I don't feel like losing power for 2 weeks

Old 10-04-2016, 09:14 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
The trajectory has just been shifted a bit east (oceanward) and north to northern Broward County, so Miami-Dade is once again outside the cone of probability for the fiercest winds, so tallrick may be proven right, just a lot of rain.

So northern Broward County and Palm Beach County are now on hurricane watch, while Miami-Dade is on tropical storm watch

But the trajectory could change again within the next hours or couple of days, so be prepared anyway.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:02 AM

515 posts, read 624,324 times
Losing power for 2 weeks is a pain but so is losing my annual FSU-UM tailgate time. I know, people are suffering greatly elsewhere. These late 'Canes, all 'Canes, are an issue.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Losing power for 2 weeks is a pain but so is losing my annual FSU-UM tailgate time. I know, people are suffering greatly elsewhere. These late 'Canes, all 'Canes, are an issue.
Miami has not had a hurricane since 1926. They are a rare and special occurrence. You are lucky to experience one major storm in a lifetime. As for me I have generators at mom's and my home and always keep food supplies stocked. My ducks are trained to go inside during storms so they should be fine.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:21 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Making sure you've got some hurricane supplies is never a bad plan.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:23 AM

328 posts, read 473,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Its not like the weather has changed much since July regardless

Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsard View Post
Its not like the weather has changed much since July regardless
Yes it is easy being a weather personality here. No change from April to November except for rain.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 AM

253 posts, read 434,368 times
Channel 10 is the best local coverage. They have the former head of the National Hurricane Center and use only the most reliable tracking models, ignoring the outliers. I felt much better last night when Channel 10 already had the likely track further east, emphasizing that the European model and the consensus of the most reliable tracks agreed that Matthew would pass roughly 100 miles east of Miami.

The other channels were doom and gloom and using dozens of tracks, some with Matthew actually tracking west of Miami.

Then I wake up today and the other local networks along with the national networks had caught up with where Channel 10 was at 11 PM last night.

My reference point all week has been Nassau. As a sports bettor it's natural to look for tipping points and situational probability. As long as Matthew's eye tracks east of Nassau we should be okay. None of the models have projected a sharp western turn in the late going, which is what would be required if Matthew stays east of Nassau.

Another aspect to look for is what Matthew does after exiting eastern Cuba later today. The worst case scenario models all had Matthew turning northwest at roughly a 30 degree angle after emerging from Cuba. The others had Matthew staying mostly due north or only slightly northwest for maybe 40 miles after leaving Cuba.

I don't have trained ducks. I do have a somewhat vulnerable old roof on one area of my house, an addition built long ago and not to the quality of the remainder of the home. So I don't want any part of a major storm. I do have supplies and a contingency plan including shutters over two doors. I guess I'll wait until Wednesday before deciding how to proceed. Right now I'm leaning toward putting them up.

Yeah, the Canes game is a concern. I'm also annoyed at missing out on my weekly Thursday afternoon golf outing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami