Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times

Advertisements

the real reason has to do with the tourist murders we had back in the late 80's early 90's. Back then, would be car jackers/thieves would scope out parking lots at highway rest area's looking for lost and out of town tourists. They were easily identifiable by their license plate's. I think they just aimed at standarizing all the plates and making them look uniform and universal in their design. It's also cheaper to make a run of 500K plates with the same design as opposed to making smaller batches for each county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 03:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
you r right heydade. If I recall correctly, it had to do with a woman tourist driving a rental car that had another county name on it. They took a wrong turn and ended up in a bad area, where at least 1 was killed. Several other tourist were shot at or carjacked or robbed. They then started the no county name tag

It use to be you could select to have the county, but I think they finally did away with that too.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
you r right heydade. If I recall correctly, it had to do with a woman tourist driving a rental car that had another county name on it. They took a wrong turn and ended up in a bad area, where at least 1 was killed. Several other tourist were shot at or carjacked or robbed. They then started the no county name tag

It use to be you could select to have the county, but I think they finally did away with that too.
Apparently the rental cars could be identified by the agency's name on the front (reason why they no longer do that) and then the license plate number on the back usually started with a Y. After several murders of foreign tourists that were highly publicized, the practice was stopped.

You might still be able to get something that says the county, but I'm not sure. It's been a long while since I've had something that lists the county on my tag (specialty tag for 4 years and then my recent vehicle purchase automatically gave me a Sunshine State plate).

Last edited by Desdemona25; 03-18-2008 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: typo :)

Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
Angry Dade on your tag

DADE was eliminated from your tag due to constant robbery of tourists in the late 80s and early 90s as well as using certain letters for rental car tags robbers saw a tag beginning with a certain letter and an idiot with a map on the dash and a robbery occured. It was also eliminated to keep police harrasment down when you left "dade county " several FL sherriff depts were know for profiling and targeting cars with dade tags with no prevocation

Old 09-24-2013, 03:58 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
the real reason has to do with the tourist murders we had back in the late 80's early 90's. Back then, would be car jackers/thieves would scope out parking lots at highway rest area's looking for lost and out of town tourists. They were easily identifiable by their license plate's. I think they just aimed at standarizing all the plates and making them look uniform and universal in their design. It's also cheaper to make a run of 500K plates with the same design as opposed to making smaller batches for each county.
Those targeted tourists usually rented cars, and many of the car rental agencies had their cars registered, for some reason, in Manatee County. So a car with a Manatee County label on it's license tag was assumed to be a rental car, and the occupants became targets. After that, they decided to eliminate the county label on all Florida license plates. I see there are still a few cars around that have license plates labeled with the county.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
All my vehicles had "collectible" or "antique" except for my trailers so I never really had to deal with the county name.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:41 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonvb View Post
DADE was eliminated from your tag due to constant robbery of tourists in the late 80s and early 90s as well as using certain letters for rental car tags robbers saw a tag beginning with a certain letter and an idiot with a map on the dash and a robbery occured.
As Wbonvb wrote above, the issue with tourists in rental cars had to do with all rental license plates beginning with 1E. The 1 was for Dade County (the largest in FL), and the E meant that that the car was registered as a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami