Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:41 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times

Advertisements

I do not shop much and have not cooked since 1987 (I eat out all the time) but the few things I do buy at Whole Foods (fresh squeezed OJ, morning coffee and muffin) have gone up 15-20% since Amazon bought Whole Foods.

Not going to change my life at all but I was under the impression Amazon was supposed to lower prices, not increase them (let alone by double digits)...has anyone who buys a lot more product from Whole Foods than I do noticed the same thing? Curious if it's just me and the few items I buy. ( I buy my beer and Mallomars at Publix).

Last edited by elchevere; 01-22-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I do not shop much and have not cooked since 1987 (I eat out all the time) but the few things I do buy at Whole Foods (fresh squeezed OJ, morning coffee and muffin) have gone up 15-20% since Amazon bought Whole Foods.

Not going to change my life at all but I was under the impression Amazon was supposed to lower prices, not increase them (let alone by double digits)...has anyone who buys a lot more product from Whole Foods than I do noticed the same thing? Curious if it's just me and the few items I buy. ( I buy my beer and Mallomars at Publix).
I suspect it is the few items you buy which pass through a few hands and machine for preparation in store before they get to into your hands.

I prepare food and cook with my own hands everyday and have not eaten out, except begrudgingly, since 1987.

I buy select items at Whole Foods that I can't find anywhere else and have noticed lately modest price reductions in some bulk grains, such as bulgar, and for some reason organic (so they call it) red and yellow bell peppers are consistently the same price as those grown using fertilizer and in any case at a lower price than Publix.

Still no reason to make Whole Foods my main source for food shopping.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bale002; 01-22-2018 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM

makes sense...wondering if these increases would have happened had Amazon not bought WF--but that is something we will never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I suspect it is the few items you buy which pass through a few hands and machine for preparation in store before they get to into your hands.

I prepare food and cook with my own hands everyday and have not eaten out, except begrudgingly, since 1987.

I buy select items at Whole Foods that I can't find anywhere else and have noticed lately modest price reductions in some bulk grains, such as bulgar, and for some reason organic (so they call it) red and yellow bell peppers are consistently the same price as those grown using fertilizer and in any case at a lower price than Publix.

Still no reason to make Whole Foods my main source for food shopping.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Amazon has bought WF, but still has not completed being totally involved in its operations, even WF's inventory system is still being reviewed by Amazon.

WF is one of the primary places I shop, and I do notice a price decrease on a number of items, specifically the grains (as noted above) and meat. They have always had in my opinion competitive pricing on fruits and veggies for the most part.

The price increase you have seen could be a result of the supplier, but I have no idea. I just bought a bottle of Indian River OJ and it is the same price it always has been.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 AM

the 32 oz fresh squeezed OJ (that I squeeze myself from the Zymex machine) has increased from $ 6.99 to $ 7.99; the coffee and muffin that used to cost me $ 4.40 is now $ 5.42....I must have a target on my back

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Amazon has bought WF, but still has not completed being totally involved in its operations, even WF's inventory system is still being reviewed by Amazon.

WF is one of the primary places I shop, and I do notice a price decrease on a number of items, specifically the grains (as noted above) and meat. They have always had in my opinion competitive pricing on fruits and veggies for the most part.

The price increase you have seen could be a result of the supplier, but I have no idea. I just bought a bottle of Indian River OJ and it is the same price it always has been.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Yes, but remember the citrus industry has been taking a couple of hits, raising the commodity value this season. Perhaps that would attribute to the price increase on your OJ?

I buy all my produce at Publix, and they have gone up on citrus too. Tomatoes were up until a few days ago, due to the slight freeze in certain inland communities that grow them. Now the tomato prices have gone back down to normal. But citrus is still up. I just paid .63 cents each for tangelos, which are normally about .50 cents.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM

per the produce manager such is not the case...WF was impacted in late November/early December, at which point they were substituting and sourcing non-organic oranges yet continuing to charge their regular, higher (organic) prices....they are currently sourcing, and have been since mid December, their organic oranges from Mexico (or at least that was what I was told) which I don't believe was susceptible to weather related issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, but remember the citrus industry has been taking a couple of hits, raising the commodity value this season. Perhaps that would attribute to the price increase on your OJ?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
per the produce manager such is not the case...WF was impacted in late November/early December, at which point they were substituting and sourcing non-organic oranges yet continuing to charge their regular, higher (organic) prices....they are currently sourcing, and have been since mid December, their organic oranges from Mexico (or at least that was what I was told) which I don't believe was susceptible to weather related issues.
If that's the case, sounds like Amazon might just be taking advantage of the commodity price of citrus here in the states. How many people would be smart enough/or take the time, to ask produce manager? Maybe Amazon was betting on that.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I've been seeing on the news that they have been having trouble keeping their shelves stocked and have a lot of empty areas thru the store.

Maybe they should drop the W and become Hole Foods now.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I've been seeing on the news that they have been having trouble keeping their shelves stocked and have a lot of empty areas thru the store.

Maybe they should drop the W and become Hole Foods now.
That inventory system was put in before Amazon took over, and Amazon has not addressed it yet.

My opinion of the system is it is penny wise, pound foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami