Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much money do you earn annually? (Miami)
0-30,000 1 16.67%
30,001-60,000 3 50.00%
60,001-90,000 0 0%
Over 90,000 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:01 PM

11 posts, read 34,346 times

Advertisements

I think most people’s relationship with Miami is that of love and hate. At least that is the case for me. Miami is a city with a lot of character, culture and if you love the beach as much as I do then it can be paradise. However when reality hits it all of a sudden doesn’t seem like such a great place to live. As far as crime I guess I’ve been lucky to never have experience any. Personally one of the things that worry me the most is the overwhelming lack of concern for the middle class in this city. The truth is that if you want to make in Miami you almost have to be rich. There is NO WAY that a middle class person can afford a home in Miami. And when I say a home I mean a house not an apt. not a condo! I mean a house maybe even with a backyard. If you’re middle class and want to buy a house in Miami I guess you can either buy it in the ghetto or buy your dream home and stress every month to pay your $2000 + mortgage. But then again that sort of defeats the purpose of living in Miami, no? Most of us love this city for the quality of life you HOPE to have.
Then of course there’s the minimum wage issue. Getting paid $40,000 a year is a near miracle down here. I mean who in the world can live of $10 an hour?? But if you look around for jobs in Miami that’s about how much they pay or maybe even less.
It’s sad to say but this city has left a lot of us young professionals with no choice but to look elsewhere to make it. Miami doesn’t want young recent college grads. Starting off their careers, what they want are rich investors to keep buying their million dollar homes adding more value to properties and making it more difficult for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
The problem with Miami is that nothing innovative is being done here. Most educated people like to live someplace that is built on originality and an awesome economy, not just with palm trees,concrete,steel, and a lot of cheap labor by illegal immigrants. Average people need a place to live, too. If everyone had a bachelors degree, then it would just be the new HS diploma, so that does not solve ANY problems. What WOULD solve problems IS Attracting educated people. To attract business and corporations, you need low business costs and high quality of life. Broward County can offer the latter, Dade offers nothing. Real estate prices needs to tumble before South Florida can truly be a great place, or at least we need to no longer be a corporate backwater. If the American economy remains strong after the real estate crash, I can envision a BOOMING economy in Fort Lauderdale. I honestly do think that Miami is at a point of no return, at least not for many years, though...

Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
The problem with Miami is that nothing innovative is being done here. Most educated people like to live someplace that is built on originality and an awesome economy, not just with palm trees,concrete,steel, and a lot of cheap labor by illegal immigrants. Average people need a place to live, too. If everyone had a bachelors degree, then it would just be the new HS diploma, so that does not solve ANY problems. What WOULD solve problems IS Attracting educated people. To attract business and corporations, you need low business costs and high quality of life. Broward County can offer the latter, Dade offers nothing. Real estate prices needs to tumble before South Florida can truly be a great place, or at least we need to no longer be a corporate backwater. If the American economy remains strong after the real estate crash, I can envision a BOOMING economy in Fort Lauderdale. I honestly do think that Miami is at a point of no return, at least not for many years, though...
I am liking you more and more every day! Glad to know there are some here who know what real business needs to thrive. Even the lowest paid employees need a decent home. If residents are not happy, the quality of work suffers. Large differences between wealthy and average incomes degrade the quality of life. It's the masses who determine the character of a city, not the rich.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I am liking you more and more every day! Glad to know there are some here who know what real business needs to thrive. Even the lowest paid employees need a decent home. If residents are not happy, the quality of work suffers. Large differences between wealthy and average incomes degrade the quality of life. It's the masses who determine the character of a city, not the rich.
Even though our opinions differ quite a bit on a lot of issues, I think all of us on these forums share one common opinion, whether they like South Florida (I happen to be in a good situation and enjoy my area) or hate it; its overpriced, and has economic issues. As good as the quality of life can get out here in west Broward, it needs to become more attainable, and we could definitely use some educational reform in some areas. I think if someone comes to my area, has the money, wants their children to grow in a diverse yet safe environment, and some warm weather, thats awesome, they have found the right place! The problem is, we need AT LEAST real corporations to attract more of that and keep the machine moving.

I think I do want to run for a local office in the future. I have MANY concerns, but hope for Broward.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 14,967 times
i hope i can found chance anywhere

Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaid2007 View Post
i hope i can found chance anywhere
I saw that you posted in the other forum. You will find chance, there are still places in this country where you can find a good career and improve your life.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
The value of a college degree today versus its value in the 1950s is analogous to the value of a dollar today versus its value in the 1950s.

As for finding opportunity and the American dream, look at the CNBC poll we are following and debating here on the Miami forum and you'll see that the states currently offering the best opportunities are North Carolina, Georgia, Utah, Texas, and number one we'll know today, but most of us are betting that it won't be Florida, maybe Nevada or Oregon, we'll see.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:01 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,877 times
What dream again? I forgot we lived in America......I joke around that every time I leave Dade County I need to take my US Passport to be able to cross the county line.....is a whole different country up north....

Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 AM

94 posts, read 134,336 times
[quote=Chelito23;224147]To all of the people on the forum who are "unaware" of your fellow citizens complaints about widespread crime, high costs and a degrading quality of life, please respond with what areas you are living in, and how much money one must make to buy a decent house or condo in your area.

I admire people with positive outlooks, I think it is very important. I would just like to see where in Miami the community problems cease to exist and where the sun always shines, and maybe get an apartment or house there!I have always said Miami is great for the rich, so here is your chance to show if the American dream exists in Miami for non millionaires!

I live in Shenandoah, which is in between Little Havana and Coral Way/US 1.
A fixer upper here with no wall AC units and 3 bed/1 bath would start at $350,000. Apartments run the gammit. Cheap studios start around $750. Decent, safe 1 bedrooms start at $1,000. This is one of the nicer areas, in between downtown, the gables, the grove....and has seen a huge increase in condo tower construction over the past few years. I think one would have to earn over $70,000 annually to afford a mortgage/house here(that is not a combined income). Very few jobs in Miami pay that much. Even after paying these costs, all of the problems I have mentioned in other posts are still prevelent. This is middle class Miami as I know it.

Share your gems of a neighborhoods please![

I lived in NY suburbs and that was fine same here . I always say this if you have complaints ,things bother you than email ,call your local politicians,Mayor,Gvnr get involved and vote THEM ALL OUT if your not happy with whats being done.
The bus doesnt run on time than sue the city if you get heat stroke your water is dirty than sue the city for not doing their job. "Miamians" need to DEMAND not ask from these inept politicians.
I find MOST "Miamians" do NOTHING and thus they will get nothing . In NY that was not the case at all .

Old 07-22-2007, 10:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Valea,

EXCELLENT points. We should band together and sue the city for heat stroke and mental anguis and suffering for a lot of their outrageous antics....however I don't really think that would improve things, other than for a few. Remember the fire fee scandal, where a few citizens sued for millions and a handful were doled out all of the funds, luckily the state stepped in and put a stop to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami