Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:21 AM

620 posts, read 1,074,739 times

Advertisements

I've been in NYC for 8 years and I can't comprehend how or why Miami gets transit SO wrong ?! Even today when countless studies show the obvious benefits of public transit.

The last thread about this was 8 years ago . So I was wondering are there any updates on any Metro Rail development considering ....

1. Miami will literally be the first state to drown under rising waters
2. All city planners globally agree that Mass transit is the way to go
3. Younger Millenials and Gen X are almost completely abandoning cars and dont care to purchase one
4. Miami area keeps growing and more traffic.
5. To attract top companies and talent, you need an attractive city infrastructure which usually means better
public transport.
6. Also, the current Metro Line works but it only goes to downtown & The HOOD ??

*I mean I suppose if you live in Brownsville and work in Brickell it is fantastic , but most 305ers live in the burbs and the metro is useless .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 08:41 AM

9,381 posts, read 14,336,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I've been in NYC for 8 years
This is not New York City. Some of us live in Miami for the very reason that it is not New York City. We do not want it to be like New York City. If we wanted New York City, we would live in New York City.

Quote:
1. Miami will literally be the first state to drown under rising waters
2. All city planners globally agree that Mass transit is the way to go
Non sequitur.

Quote:
3. Younger Millenials and Gen X are almost completely abandoning cars and don't care to purchase one
Bull****.

There is no consensus anywhere in the US on how to allocate resources to transportation infrastructure right now when the choice is between last century's technology and this century's technology which is not yet fully developed and ready to be deployed.

There is a consensus to muddle along, which is probably the best course right now in this transition phase, and a willingness to bet on individual transportation solutions (which may not be limited to last-century style cars) rather than mass transit.

Mass transit sounds cute, in a 1904 sort of way.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 AM

47 posts, read 59,708 times
What a response.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
This is not New York City. Some of us live in Miami for the very reason that it is not New York City. We do not want it to be like New York City. If we wanted New York City, we would live in New York City.

Non sequitur.

Bull****.

There is no consensus anywhere in the US on how to allocate resources to transportation infrastructure right now when the choice is between last century's technology and this century's technology which is not yet fully developed and ready to be deployed.

There is a consensus to muddle along, which is probably the best course right now in this transition phase, and a willingness to bet on individual transportation solutions (which may not be limited to last-century style cars) rather than mass transit.

OH DAHHLINNGG .. You will NEVER be NYC. Bless your heart though

Old 04-28-2020, 10:34 AM

Ok . Can anyone that is actually informed on the this topic and knows current info about this comment.

It seems the only guy who replied is a miserable Miamian who is more miserable during the Quarantine smh

Old 04-28-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
This is not New York City.

OMG jajaja .. you MUST be from Miami lol

Old 04-28-2020, 10:48 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,581,638 times
I’m from NY originally but live here now.

There is mass transit in Miami/SoFla, but its focus is North-South, less so East West. There is Metromover, Metrorail, Miami Trolley (painted bus), Miami Beach Trolley (also a bus) and Virgin Brightline.

Millennials and GenX’ers have the option of Uber and Lyft if they opt not to own a car.

Miami is much more similar to a typical car culture sunbelt city than Manhattan (outside of a very few pockets that represent a NYC neighborhood...Brickell is like the Battery Park section).

Refresh my memory on the great mass transit options in San Jose, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, and Austin and how they are also being held back.

Not sure I would want to go anywhere near mass transit right now during Covid 19.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-28-2020 at 11:43 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 01:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,034,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I’m from NY originally but live here now.

There is mass transit in Miami/SoFla, but its focus is North-South, less so East West. There is Metromover, Metrorail, Miami Trolley (painted bus), Miami Beach Trolley (also a bus) and Virgin Brightline.

Millennials and GenX’ers have the option of Uber and Lyft if they opt not to own a car.

Miami is much more similar to a typical car culture sunbelt city than Manhattan (outside of a very few pockets that represent a NYC neighborhood...Brickell is like the Battery Park section).

Refresh my memory on the great mass transit options in San Jose, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, and Austin and how they are also being held back.

Not sure I would want to go anywhere near mass transit right now during Covid 19.
Atlanta has a subway system and a streetcar(useless..for now)
Miami economy is low brow in comparison to those cities. Miami isn't attracting as many high tech or STEM jobs as those cities.
If Miami did invest more in local transit,it truly would attract more of those types of jobs. Dont get me wrong,its doing better than it was but many cities are doing way better than Miami in that regard.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:53 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,581,638 times
People get excited on CD over STEM (and Miami has significant medical/healthcare employment, though not significant IT or biotech), but truth is STEM represents only 6.6% of all jobs in the nation per the BLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Atlanta has a subway system and a streetcar(useless..for no

Miami economy is low brow in comparison to those cities. Miami isn't attracting as many high tech or STEM jobs as those cities.
If Miami did invest more in local transit,it truly would attract more of those types of jobs. Dont get me wrong,its doing better than it was but many cities are doing way better than Miami in that regard.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,034,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
People get excited over STEM (and Miami has significant medical/healthcare employment, though not significant IT or biotech), but truth is STEM represents only 6.6% of all jobs per the BLS.
People get excited over it because it is best for the community as a whole.Miami has the lowest per capita incomes than any of the top 10 metro and one of the lowest in the nation.Miami could have it all and the poster is right:a expansion into a more substantial heavy or even light rail system would do wanders for Miami.
Miami could pull off a light rail system easy.Like Dallas has

As far as being like NYC,you right. Stay in NYC if you want NYC but no reason Miami cant have the rail aspect of it

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-28-2020 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami