Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,190 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I just joined this thread today. My husband has been offered a job in miami with a starting salary of $93,000. That is double what he makes here in St. Louis. We are looking to live in Broward County, we really like Coral Springs. I have only lived in St. Louis so I am a bit nervous about the big move. I can't discuss this yet with my family and friends so I am looking to folks that don't know who I am to get some good honest advice.
Comparing St. Louis to Broward County as far as cost of living is pretty neck and neck.
The St. Louis City public school system is one of the worst in the country. So I am forced to send my kids to private school which is $1000 per month for 2 kids. I can send them to public school for free in Coral Springs which is a good school dist. and save that much per month. In order to live in a good school dist. in St. Louis I would have to move to the county and pay $300,000. for a house. That is comparible to the housing cost in Coral Springs. My husband with his new raise would be able to afford a house in that price range and whatever job I get would be icing on the cake.

I guess what I am asking can a family of 4 live on an annual salary of $93,000. per year in Broward County or in Miami-Dade. (we also like pinecrest and aventura). Just need some honest advice before I tell my family about this job opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 03:57 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
You can not get a house for $300,000 in Pinecrest that is for sure because the condo conversions are going for that alone in Pinecrest. My sisters 1/1 + loft townhouse in west Kendall by the Turnpike is worth $200,000.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-25-2007 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times
just hope he never gets laid off. theres not alot of major companies down here.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
A 93,000 salary will NOT go very far in Broward for a family of four. All of south Florida is undergoing a middle class exodus. The cost of housing here is much higher than in St. Louis. Do not be fooled. For 300,000 in Coral Springs you will find condos if that is your thing. A single family home under 300,000 in Coral Springs is practically unheard of nowadays. If you do find one, it might be expressway adjacent or have some hurricane damage and sold as is.

You are correct, Coral Springs is a nice area to live in. It is not affordable for the middle class though. Insurance and housing is outrageous. The school district is county wide, so Coral Springs schools are no better than schools anywhere else in the county. They are a step up from Miami Dade...but you might have to invest in private school after you live here a year and see what it is really like.

I think if you are able to get a similar paying job, and combine that with your husband's salary, you could afford to live in South Florida comfortably. Otherwise, you will be in for a huge shock. In St. Louis you may be middle class with that salary, but here, you will be living pay check to paycheck, and finding decent housing will be a challenge. (keeping in mind car insurance, HOA, city and state tax, windstorm insurance mortgage, health insurance and higher prices in south florida overall, especially for electricity in the spring summer and fall).

Please read the other posts for more info. Plan a trip to see what the prices and areas are like for yourself. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Chelito23 — Great post, I wanted to say it, but I am starting to get tired of saying the ugly truth. And if it doesn't go far in Broward it really will not go far in Miami-Dade County. We always joke, but it is true, if we had to buy our house today, we couldn't afford it.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
You may find a 3/2 home for around $300k in Broward, but it may not be in the greatest in Coral Springs. Check out Sunrise as well. The other issue is where in Miami is your husband's job? Is he ready to commute for over an hour or more each way? You won't find anything in Pinecrest or Aventura for 300k unless you want a 2/2 condo.

Not to discourage you, but also look at the property tax & homeowners insurance costs.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:46 AM

183 posts, read 568,032 times
doggiebus and Chelito23, what part of town do you live in, and what's your opinion of your area?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
I live in Shenandoah, which is the neighborhood just north of Coral Way between downtown Miami and Coral Gables.

I like this area overall. It has actully improved over the years. Now it has "improved" so much that it has become insanely expensive. The other problem is, since prices went up everywhere, the same problem residents still live here and can't afford to move elsewhere either.

This area was kind of like a lost secret, waiting to be found. It is now being taken over by out of place and scale high rises. I love Miami, and always have. I just don't like the fact that is is so overpriced for what it is, and despite the prices going up, the services are still poor.

Before, I could take the low pay, simple houses, low education levels and high crime because I love the climate, the vegetation, the ocean and the diversity. Now, with the high prices and the problems not being solved, it makes me wonder what went wrong and if I should cash out or just become what I always hated-a person living in an ivory tower, and only worrying about me, myself and I. But I digress. I have mixed feelings about this area, but it is still what is best for me, and also all I can afford too.

Where do you live? How do you like your area?

Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 PM

183 posts, read 568,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I live in Shenandoah, which is the neighborhood just north of Coral Way between downtown Miami and Coral Gables.

I like this area overall. It has actully improved over the years. Now it has "improved" so much that it has become insanely expensive. The other problem is, since prices went up everywhere, the same problem residents still live here and can't afford to move elsewhere either.

This area was kind of like a lost secret, waiting to be found. It is now being taken over by out of place and scale high rises. I love Miami, and always have. I just don't like the fact that is is so overpriced for what it is, and despite the prices going up, the services are still poor.

Before, I could take the low pay, simple houses, low education levels and high crime because I love the climate, the vegetation, the ocean and the diversity. Now, with the high prices and the problems not being solved, it makes me wonder what went wrong and if I should cash out or just become what I always hated-a person living in an ivory tower, and only worrying about me, myself and I. But I digress. I have mixed feelings about this area, but it is still what is best for me, and also all I can afford too.

Where do you live? How do you like your area?
I am in Philadelphia, planning to move to the Miami area, maybe within six months. It's freezing up here and I prefer warm weather. How would you rate the Kendall area overall? There is east and west Kendall I gather.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 PM

I live in East Kendall or what they were trying to incorporate Village of the Falls. Homes start at 450,000 for a fixer and go to over a million. Overall I like my area, my neighbors on our block are great, surprisingly 80% are white non hispanics, that is amazing in this town. There are not many kids on the block, because these homes aren't starter homes. The lot sizes here are larger, so you are not on top of your neighbor. I like that within 5 minutes I am close to dining, shopping, a grocery store, movies, etc. I don't like that the average wait time at many restaurants is a hour plus. The neighbors in these developments are involved in what happens to the community, mostly to keep things out, which is good. However, I don't feel safe in this city. There is to much crime, and the police can't or will not do anything about it.

I am a native Miamian, I left for college and came back. I missed Miami during college and so came back, but now I am ready to leave. Since I have gotten back, the population boom has made this city just so conjested and many other things that you have read in other threads I am sure. And in traveling the country to find a better place to live, we have found there are many better and beautiful places to live. Miami isn't really that pretty some parts are, but over all no, compared to places like Colorado, California, North Carolina, etc. For me, the weather has gotten warmer over the years, to the point that this year it is summer only. I love being outdoors, but it is way to hot to get outside here 8 months out of the year. But this year it may go up to 10 months out of the year, if we keep going with the 86 degrees in Dec,Jan,Feb.

Where do you live? How do you like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami