Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

54 posts, read 521,379 times

Advertisements

I've come across lost tourists in downtown Miami several times recently who want to know how to get to Little Havana. My response? "Are you SURE you want to go there????" And I managed to talk them out of it each time. Maybe if they had a car they could see for themselves. But it would always be by bus and my opinion is that it totally is not worth it.

What the heck are guidebooks saying about Calle Ocho that makes people want to go there? I could see maybe on Viernes Culturales, but we're talking 5 pm on a weekday.

I travel a lot and I'm always grateful when locals give me advice, even when it goes against the Chamber of Commerce party line. But I'm wondering, am I just a jaded local who doesn't appreciate the wonderment of SW 8th Street? Opinions welcome! And if you can convince me, next time I'll just keep quiet and point them to the bus stop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times
As a white caucasian male I enjoy Little Havana and what it has to offer,I would like to be there when they have the celebration or party every month on Calle Ocho. I feel it is definitely worth the visit and it is a relatively safe place too.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,491 times
No

Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
I am not sure where the tourist are getting this. I post on some of the travel sites and have seen tourist ask questions on how to get there what to see while we are there. So obviously they have read about this or seen something on Little Havana Calle Ocho... I then have to tell them, that there really isn't much there to see. And that going there without a car in a little difficult. They can take a taxi to Versailles, but getting a taxi back will be hard as cabbies don't hang out there. So to answer your question you are not jaded.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,917 times
There have been occasions when we've been dining at Versailles and a tour bus pulls up and unloads tons of tourists right there. Believe it or not, Little Havana is a cultural center. There is lots to see there if you know the history of the area and know what to look for. They give walking tours of Little Havana that are pretty popular. The esteemed local historian Dr. Paul George gives coach and walking tours of Little Havana himself. Historical Museum of Southern Florida (http://www.hmsf.org/programs-adult.htm - broken link) This is something I've been meaning to do myself, thanks for reminding me. Little Havana has history and charm that's worth for tourists and locals alike to explore.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:29 PM

483 posts, read 1,545,586 times
The few times Ive visited you can see loads of tourist getting dropped off, particularly germans?
Anyways for Europeans and people not used to the latin vibe we get drowned in everyday, Little Havana is a great place. Its not the prettiest in some spots, but cultural neighborhoods like that dont tend to be pretty. A walk down a street with Cuban gallaries, restaurants, cafeterias, specialty shops, the cigar shops and theaters, its not your everyday place outside of here. the chicken sculptures, dominoe park, and funky sidewalk design plus I believe theres a walk of fame type over there too. That area in particular too seems to have some of the most beautiful historic homes in Miami too. Great food too.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
The few times Ive visited you can see loads of tourist getting dropped off, particularly germans?
Anyways for Europeans and people not used to the latin vibe we get drowned in everyday, Little Havana is a great place. Its not the prettiest in some spots, but cultural neighborhoods like that dont tend to be pretty. A walk down a street with Cuban gallaries, restaurants, cafeterias, specialty shops, the cigar shops and theaters, its not your everyday place outside of here. the chicken sculptures, dominoe park, and funky sidewalk design plus I believe theres a walk of fame type over there too. That area in particular too seems to have some of the most beautiful historic homes in Miami too. Great food too.
I drove down that street twice daily for a year and I never saw "loads of German tourists" let alone loads of people who were tourists let alone people who were white. NEVER. It is incomprehensible why anyone would want to make a tourist stop by that area. They would be disgusted.

Tanner Man- You must not live near there, but I did, and it got old after the first week. Hell, even the Spanish only speaking crowd would tell me all the time they hated it.

It shouldn't be called Little Havana anymore but rather "Little Central America."

Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 PM

483 posts, read 1,545,586 times
Well Ive been there 3 times and I saw loads of tourist. lol
Why would I lie about something like that, other people can say the same about the tourist.
And no I dont live there, Im not telling anybody to move there, just saying why its a tourist spot, visiting and living are 2 different things. Dare i say I enjoyed going to Little Havana!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
The other day I saw a travel site promoting Carol city with nice big palm trees. I can't remember the site but it just goes to show the lengths some people will go to make money :P

Old 08-05-2008, 12:14 AM

I drove 8th street twice a day for a year, that's 300+ days x 2 = 600+. And I never seen no bus load of German tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami