Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand why people like gated communities, codes, and rules so much... I think having everyone doing their own thing is far more appealing that one group deciding what everyone should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM

89 posts, read 1,048,419 times
I think it makes people feel good about themselves living in an enclave of people they feel similar to themselves. My community isn't gated so I guess I'll never know..

Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,142 times
I assume the gates make some people feel safer. As for the rules, they appeal to people who like a well-organized life, and don't want to have to deal with neighbors who don't cut their grass, let their dog dig holes in the neighbors' yards, etc. My stereotype resident would be an anal-retentive conservative person. (...ducking for cover now.)

Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
I assume the gates make some people feel safer. As for the rules, they appeal to people who like a well-organized life, and don't want to have to deal with neighbors who don't cut their grass, let their dog dig holes in the neighbors' yards, etc. My stereotype resident would be an anal-retentive conservative person. (...ducking for cover now.)

the funny thing about gated communities is that if they are manned gates the people hired to do the manning are overwhelmingly black and hispanic (usually the same people they are attempting to keep out) and are paid around ten dollars per hour. if they are automated the bad guys know the industry secrets to gain access so in effect what these folks have is an appearance of safety and nothing more.

however the crime stats do seem to bear out the fact that opportunistic criminal activity is greatly diminished in gated communities.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:21 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
I actually live in gated community and your all wrong. I wouldnt live in any other place in ill run S.Florida.

# The amount of cars and homes robbed/broken in to is ZERO at least where I live.
#Things like graffiti-vadalism are ZERO
#No one blocks anyones drive way or street or their car gets towed which is more than can be said of non gated communities. Park in your own driveway or vistors parking
#House next to you isnt blasting music.
# No solicitors.
# no litter
#No one comes in without okay from resident .
# Not even Team Metro allowed in as community considered private property and has its own staff,rules only police-fire dept-ambulance come in.

The rules are easy to follow common sense rules no problem at all and everyone is happy. you know the rules before you buy if not for you than dont buy here .

Drawback is you get more property for same or less money in non gated but I love gated and at this point wouldnt have it any other way here .

Gated communities are great infact less rules than some non gated places like Coral Gables. You can certainly have Pick ups here , dune buggy,etc aslong as in your driveway .

Old 12-14-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
the funny thing about gated communities is that if they are manned gates the people hired to do the manning are overwhelmingly black and hispanic (usually the same people they are attempting to keep out) and are paid around ten dollars per hour. if they are automated the bad guys know the industry secrets to gain access so in effect what these folks have is an appearance of safety and nothing more.

however the crime stats do seem to bear out the fact that opportunistic criminal activity is greatly diminished in gated communities.

No its not diminished its simply ZERO .

"the funny thing about gated communities is that if they are manned gates the people hired to do the manning are overwhelmingly black and hispanic (usually the same people they are attempting to keep out)

hmmm maybe every resident here should leave as its 90% Hispanic . I was not aware that we were trying to keep ourselves out.
Now I know thanks to you

Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post

No the gates dont make anyone "feel" safer they simply keep it ZERO crime.

"they appeal to people who like a well-organized life, and don't want to have to deal with neighbors who don't cut their grass, let their dog dig holes in the neighbors' yards, etc. My stereotype resident would be an anal-retentive conservative person"

BINGO thats me exactly .
However the rules here are actually no different than other non gated communities who have neighborhood boards .
No dog crap on my grass,etc in other places ESP in S.Florida people "walk" their dog by letting it run free all over neighbors grass .
No nonsense like that here

Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrox08 View Post
I think it makes people feel good about themselves living in an enclave of people they feel similar to themselves. My community isn't gated so I guess I'll never know..

No what makes people feel good is knowing your car will not "walk away" if you park it in driveway that your house wont be broken in if you go away for weeks and many other perks .

Old 12-14-2008, 10:50 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
So Luiso, do you like every yard and house looking the same?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:57 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I just don't understand why people like gated communities, codes, and rules so much... I think having everyone doing their own thing is far more appealing that one group deciding what everyone should do.

I agree with you. We left our HOA for non-HOA community and are soooo much happier. Why did we buy in the HOA in the first place? We started as winter renters like most people do and just progessed to becoming owners not knowing what we were getting into.

Why do most people buy into HOA's?
1. Because they are part-timers who need maintenance and someone to look out for their property when they aren't there.
2. Because almost ALL newer homes in Florida are in HOA's. VERY HARD to find a newer home non-HOA unless you buy a lot and build it yourself. I speak from hard-won experience looking on east and west coasts of FL. It's actually very hard to find a decent non-HOA home with modern conveniences.
3. HOA homes are less expensive to buy than comparable non-HOA homes if you compare year built and square footage. They are not less expensive when you count the monthly/quarterly fees but most people don't make that comparison until too late.
4. Older people like the thought of the safety aspect but it is not proven.
They like to have someone to call (manager) when they need something done.
5. People like the uniform look of HOA yards and homes. Everything is regulated and vanilla-flavored, nothing original like Cherry Garcia.
6. HOA's keep out "working class" because you cannot park trucks or vehicles with business advertising on them. 'Working class" is
partially race related but more social class.
7. HOA's are like cruises, all-inclusive and therefore comforting in some weird way.
8. People want their neighbors controlled by others without having to get involved. Third party gets the blame.

Get the idea I don't have any empathy for HOA's?
There is a big implosion coming, in Florida especially, because HOA's will be in a money crunch and forced to charge owners $$$ for the delinquent fees of others in forclosure.
Before you buy look and see whether the HOA has sufficient reserves, many don't except for ongoing maintenance. It should be in a separate fund named "Reserves" with named categories like roofing, painting, road repair, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami