Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM

72 posts, read 190,335 times

Advertisements

no matter what you speak love will understand

Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
I still live here (NYC), but I'm very fair skinned (can pass for a straight up white girl (and there is nothing wrong with that)) and my hubby is on the darker side. We are both hispanic, but I have seen people give the look especially when I speak, because I have no accent. Now for Florida, I can not say I speak from experience, but I think there is a fair amount of interracial dating there. Like the other post said there are idiots every where. So you will encounter a person who was dragged up in the woods, rather than raised by a responsible person. You will just have to brush that right off your shoulders. I can tell you from experience that the DC area seems to be much more accecpting of this and the quality of life there is actually pretty good. That is if you are just looking to get out of NYC - as I am - I understand what you mean completely about the taxes here - it is outrageous!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 55,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I still live here (NYC), but I'm very fair skinned (can pass for a straight up white girl (and there is nothing wrong with that)) and my hubby is on the darker side. We are both hispanic, but I have seen people give the look especially when I speak, because I have no accent. Now for Florida, I can not say I speak from experience, but I think there is a fair amount of interracial dating there. Like the other post said there are idiots every where. So you will encounter a person who was dragged up in the woods, rather than raised by a responsible person. You will just have to brush that right off your shoulders. I can tell you from experience that the DC area seems to be much more accecpting of this and the quality of life there is actually pretty good. That is if you are just looking to get out of NYC - as I am - I understand what you mean completely about the taxes here - it is outrageous!
Thanks for the reply Chelsea!

I'm looking to live on a beach somewhere, so DC is out of the question for me. Seattle's Alki beach was looking like a really good option, but I knew the dreary weather would get to me after a while.

Taxes in NYC is getting out of control, same as California. I was thinking of moving to San Diego actually, but I would still be paying out over 50 percent of my yearly ordinary income in taxes. In my opinion, the government should never be allowed to take more than half of what you earn unless absolutely necessary (in a recession, depression, war, etc)... but I digress.

Everyone has been very helpful with all the input, please keep it coming. I'm very interested now in the neighborhood of Brickell. Is there a lot of tourist activity there, or does it have a more community feel to it?

Thanks again,
J

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
I grew up in Miami and now live in NYC, so I can shed light on the situation as well. Overall, I think there is more integration between whites and blacks in NYC than in Miami. However, I still do not think you will have a problem in Miami because it doesn't seem like you are looking for an integrated area and are fine with living in an area where you will be one of only a few black people.

Regarding relations between non-Hispanic blacks and Hispanics in NYC versus in Miami, the difference is almost night and day. First, the demographics of Hispanics in Miami are drastically different than they are in NYC: both racially and socioeconomically. Most Hispanics in Miami are white and middle class, and several are very well-off. Hispanics in Miami tend to live among other Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites. To contrast, most Hispanics in NYC are racially mixed, do not identify with being "white," and often live in lower-income and working class neighborhoods well-integrated with non-Hispanic blacks. Hence, you will probably see (and I am not even kidding) five times the amount of inter-racial dating between Hispanics and non-Hispanic blacks than you will ever see in Miami.

However, like I've said before, I think you will be fine because you are educated, live a comfortable life, and are open to meet people of backgrounds different from your own. The white (both Hispanic and non-Hispanic) girls In Brickell/Coral Gables/Coconut Grove will see you as exotic because quite frankly, they aren't used to seeing a lot of black people - let alone well-off black people - in those areas. I think you could really have a good time in Miami!

Regarding Brickell, one of my best friends lives there and I have visited several times. The buildings along Brickell Avenue and directly east of it house affluent professionals; there are now a lot more restaurants and bars/lounges in the area than there have ever been before. Directly to the west of Brickell Avenue is more middle class and doesn't have as many dining/entertainment options. Brickell is not touristy like South Beach. Most people you will see there live and work in Miami. In South Beach, people from all over the country and all over the world are always out and about on vacation, so you are bound to meet a greater variety of people. For living, I would recommend either neighborhood; you really can't go wrong.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
I actually see more interracial dating up towards here in West Palm Beach. My neighborhood is mostly black but the many of the other people that live here are mostly interracial couples/families.

Dade seems to be more segregated than Broward or Palm Beach in terms of this, so try one of those counties instead.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjon84 View Post
Thanks for the reply Chelsea!

I'm looking to live on a beach somewhere, so DC is out of the question for me. Seattle's Alki beach was looking like a really good option, but I knew the dreary weather would get to me after a while.

Taxes in NYC is getting out of control, same as California. I was thinking of moving to San Diego actually, but I would still be paying out over 50 percent of my yearly ordinary income in taxes. In my opinion, the government should never be allowed to take more than half of what you earn unless absolutely necessary (in a recession, depression, war, etc)... but I digress.

Everyone has been very helpful with all the input, please keep it coming. I'm very interested now in the neighborhood of Brickell. Is there a lot of tourist activity there, or does it have a more community feel to it?

Thanks again,
J

You should visit Miami and walk through Brickell and South Beach. I used to live right on Brickell Ave and there were tons of South Americans to get to know. Most of them refused to speak English, however. The party on Brickell is not for non-Hispanics and it took me a year to realize this.

I recommend Mid-Town (the "Design District"), and Miami Beach. There are more open minded, artistic, and genuine people in these parts of town, and there is plenty of exotic nightlife in both of these areas.

Last edited by cuba libre; 02-09-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
I will have to disagree with cuba libre's statement that "the party in Brickell is not for non-Hispanics." I know non-Hispanic people that go out in Brickell (my best friend who lives there is not Hispanic) and who have a good time there. I just do not see the social segregation in Brickell between non-Hispanics and Hispanics of which you complain. It seems to me that most Hispanics there speak English and are glad to use it with people who do not speak Spanish. Secondly, some of the Hispanics in Brickell grew up in Miami-Dade County and speak English as their first and/or best language. Brickell is far from being a "Hispanic monoculture"; in fact it is about 1/3 non-Hispanic.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
You should visit Miami and walk through Brickell and South Beach. I used to live right on Brickell Ave and there were tons of South Americans to get to know. Most of them refused to speak English, however. The party on Brickell is not for non-Hispanics and it took me a year to realize this.
You take a single case (you), and by a flawed application of inductive reasoning, you think that how it is for everyone. Rather than accuse all South Americans of being jerks, I suggest you look within yourself, and see why you have trouble dealing with and getting along with certain groups of people.

I am culturally and ethnically quite whitebread. I don't speak Spanish. However, I have good friends who are South American and Cuban. We party. Check us out at the Vagabond.

Or does your broken logic only apply to Brickell?

- - - - - - -

@jonnyjon84:

As far as taxes are concerned, you might want to think about total cost of living. If a small apartment costs $2000 to rent, and a loaf of bread costs $6, then taxes are only part of the story.

I lived in New Hampshire, which has no income tax, and Massachusetts, which does, so I know from whence I speak. The schools don't run on good wishes. The money has to come from somewhere.

Having said that, you might be able to find a nice house in Miami for small change, given the real estate crash. If you already have a job, the cost of living might not be so bad. And if you don't have a job, living in a box on the street is pretty inexpensive as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:24 PM

10 posts, read 55,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
You take a single case (you), and by a flawed application of inductive reasoning, you think that how it is for everyone. Rather than accuse all South Americans of being jerks, I suggest you look within yourself, and see why you have trouble dealing with and getting along with certain groups of people.

I am culturally and ethnically quite whitebread. I don't speak Spanish. However, I have good friends who are South American and Cuban. We party. Check us out at the Vagabond.

Or does your broken logic only apply to Brickell?

- - - - - - -

@jonnyjon84:

As far as taxes are concerned, you might want to think about total cost of living. If a small apartment costs $2000 to rent, and a loaf of bread costs $6, then taxes are only part of the story.

I lived in New Hampshire, which has no income tax, and Massachusetts, which does, so I know from whence I speak. The schools don't run on good wishes. The money has to come from somewhere.

Having said that, you might be able to find a nice house in Miami for small change, given the real estate crash. If you already have a job, the cost of living might not be so bad. And if you don't have a job, living in a box on the street is pretty inexpensive as well.
Hey Cougar Beach,

I'm not sure if you read my prior posts, but I'll be purchasing a condo if I decide to relocate to Miami. There will be no financing involved.

State Income taxes do not really have a major impact on median incomes, but in my bracket, I currently pay out over 10 percent here in NY state/city taxes. The money I'll save every year is worth any additional costs in property taxes, cost of living, etc that I may incur.

I respect what everyone here has to say, all opinions and views are welcomed. Every personal experience is necessary to form a realistic picture of any place, in my opinion. Please keep it coming.

Thanks again,
J

Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjon84 View Post
Hey Cougar Beach,

I'm not sure if you read my prior posts, but I'll be purchasing a condo if I decide to relocate to Miami. There will be no financing involved.

State Income taxes do not really have a major impact on median incomes, but in my bracket, I currently pay out over 10 percent here in NY state/city taxes. The money I'll save every year is worth any additional costs in property taxes, cost of living, etc that I may incur.

I respect what everyone here has to say, all opinions and views are welcomed. Every personal experience is necessary to form a realistic picture of any place, in my opinion. Please keep it coming.

Thanks again,
J
I wasn't talking about financing at all, and I agree that taxes and the general cost of living in NYC are very high.

Since towns and counties need some sort of stable income stream, as property values drop, property taxes will rise (been through that in New Hampshire).

In any case, the cost of living is certainly lower here than NYC or San Diego. I don't know about the Seattle area. The problem for most residents of the Miami area, though, is that jobs generally don't pay well. That's the nature of the tourist/service industries. We don't manufacture much of anything here. Construction jobs have pretty much disappeared.

If you have a good job, though, Miami can be a lot of fun. If you're expecting the cafe culture and intellectual and professional climate of Seattle, you will definitely be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami