Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 23,868 times

Advertisements

miami is not a hard place to move to at all. So long

Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM

miami is not a hard place to move to at all. So long as you have your ducks in order. if you can account for 1500 to 2000 a month in revenue from investments. you'll be more than ok. These Banana Republic jobs around here can help you fill the gap of .? spending money.

But.?

if you are coming here.? with the misguided notion of having a ( Northern (eastern) Type )

career with .? anything less than an advanced Degree a payed for house An expertise or Know somebody.

You are in huge trouble my boy.

Cuase there aint nothing here. this is a 500 dollar a week town. so plan accordingly. And dont listen to any exceptions. or somebody or anybody who has had "good luck" or "didnt fair bad". chances are that guy girl. Had an amazingly positive attitude or high degree or knew somebody.

Generally people come here and are very under employed. So have 40 months of rent in the bank

have 20 months of food in the bank have 15 months of gasoline in the bank

And think of career in terms of hours. meaning i can get this guy to give me 1000 hours. Or 4 months of work.

thats how i do it and it works well.

and also get 3 part times. Dont get One full time Cuase it increases exposure.

and people gossip down here Like there is no tommorow or yesterday.

thats my advice you play that you should be ok till your first million.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

158 posts, read 158,399 times
^^^ HUH?

I got the "people gossip down here like there is not tomorrow" part though.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:27 PM

and to address why miami is in the crisis it is in. !
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

you have a very simple case of a city who made a bad choice 40 years ago. It married with two of the most Sorry economies on earth. One being Tourisim The other being Export import. the third being services.

+++++

untill Miami makes a break from these garbadge Economies It will never succeed.

++++

I have been advocating that for 15 years now. Miami needs a frame work or structure like the North East. Dense with Corporations Dense with F 500 companies. 20 000 plus companies. Pharmacuticals. Financials Manufactureing. etc,.

+++++

you gotta tunr this place into Middle sex county new jersey. Or northern new jersey. Or baltimore Or Yonkers Or Hartford Or Rochester

+++

my point is load it to the teeth with 20 000 plus employee sized companies

++

then you'll see a change but tuff to do with this southern plantation like view of life. that small business is the way to go. and that big business is bad. and that workers are garbadge and that industry is no good and Services and tourisim is where it's at.?

+ +

so i dont know. i talk to joe sanchez about this and some commisioners But unless you live in the north east You really dont know what im talking about. Or about the power of corp America.

+ +

I mean U.M. your biggest employer.....lllloll...... 17 000 employees.....

+ +

i mean our smallest companies in new jersey employ 20 000 employees. Myril lynch and paine weber in jersey city and weehawken. and thats just a "spec" of our industrial strength. in new jersey.

+ +

so i think the mind set here has got to change and abandon services and tourisim and export.

+ +

or this problem will never end..

Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM

yeah people do gossip down here like there is no tommorow or yesterday. thats why a lonnnnnnnnng time ago i abandoned full time work. and just found three part times. so no one knows me lllolll...... works out better like that. cuase the only two people opinions i care about is

+ +

..ADP the people who make out my check lloll.... and bank of america.... the people who cash it llloll....

Old 05-14-2009, 02:51 PM

also

I don't want to beat this topic to death. but look at cubans they've been living down here in this rat "pond" for 40 years. And they have adapted well to this southern caca roach Disrespect in the work place. Employment at will. and Scarcity and rareity of 9 - 5 work. Non Corp American Jobs. no benefits. low salaries. No unions ! And banana republic like small joints.

and if you look at them.? most of them are working on their 3 rd or 4 rth house. In Kendal

Or driving there 30 foot speed boat down to the keys...

they do it cause they are like marines down here lllolll they adapat and overcome. they'll buy a boat and sell it for more. or buy a car and sell it for more. They will buy a house Rent it out. or they have a web site. or do what they gotta do.

But if your coming down here. with that Northeastern Aristocratic Establishment mind set of nyc where working in 5000 employee company is like an insult.

Where.? "um" i guess 15 dollars an hour will "just" have to do in miami lllolll.....

get ready for culture shock 101...

Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM

20 posts, read 68,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So what American goes to live in any other country and demands English be the language spoken in all public places including a doctor's office. The only place I know of in the world is one city in Mexico with ex pats who are turning it into an English speaking place.

Good luck with that in France, Germany, Netherlands ...anywhere...
Hispanics don't expect or asked for spanish to be spoken in public places.
Us Americans are the ones that created the "press one for English, 2 for Spanish".
I am American, but have many hispanic friends. Hispanics do want to learn and speak English.
Even if they speak English, if they are in a private OR public area, and they are speaking to each other, they should speak Spanish if they choose, and not have to speak English. If they are talking to you, or you are talking to them, or they are talking as a group, yes, they should speak English.
But if your in a line at the supermarket, and the cashier is Hispanic, and the person in front of you is Hispanic, they should speak spanish, and should not have to speak English, just because they are in America.
If you go to France, they do not expect you to speak French. Many speak English (even though they hate Americans).
If you go to Central or South America, they do not expect you to speak spanish, but most Americans know small words and/or sentences to get by.

All languages are beautiful, and we should not be prejudice about them.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM

31 posts, read 33,324 times
In short, yes.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I've found the same problem here. I wouldn't call myself particularly liberal, but I'm not conservative either. Miami is probably 50/50, although even those who have voted Democrat in the past are not the most progressive people I've met either. LA is a lot more liberal and progressive than Miami (so is California in general). Generally speaking, in more progressive states, more money is pumped into things like education, infrastructure and mass transit.

Bottom line is that I like to strike up conversations about politics, but I've found it particularly hard here because either 1) most people are ignorant, 2) most people just want to ram their views down your throat without listening to your point of view, 3) people vote based on silly issues (such as Elian Gonzales, or believing that Obama is Castro) or 4) most people just don't care about anything but living in their own "bubbles" (this is mostly the case).

I've lived here for over 5 years and have never felt welcome. I initially tried to make the effort with people, but I gave up after a while when I realized that most people here are on a completely different wavelength, for the most part, or they'll just take advantage of you. I even gave up holding doors open for people after a while, because I got tired of being breezed past, as if I was some sort of unpaid doorman.

Yes, the Spanish thing is annoying, particularly when it comes to having to call your doctor's office, or when dealing with people at stores, restaurants, or in the workplace. I don't care what language people use in their own homes, or around their circle of friends, but I'm tired of the "cold" treatment, just because I don't speak Spanish. I was tempted to learn Spanish for a while, but why bother? It's not as if it'll improve my quality of life here, nor will I make friends that way.

---------

Bcreass

You are a very educated person, so if they give yo the "cold treatment", it means that those people are real low lifes. I think that you are living too immersed in the SW, among rather hieratic "cubanazo" stiffnecks.

Really, 5 years is too much. I think you should move to a more "neutral" area, not so traditional "cubanazo". The same thing happened to me, and I moved to Kendall, by then I was leaving near FIU (the new "sausera") (30 years ago).

I don't care about languages, but really, it's just the attitude in those parts, people living in those parts away from the traditional sauesera are quieter. Not that "Anglos" (whatever that means) are nicer that Cubans in Miami, they are also bitter and resented, but I found that life in those areas is far more tranquil, peaceful.

You could also find new friends, not hispanics, just normal people, not haters (quite a difficult thing in Miami).

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM

61 posts, read 179,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonuc29 View Post
miami is not a hard place to move to at all. So long as you have your ducks in order. if you can account for 1500 to 2000 a month in revenue from investments. you'll be more than ok. These Banana Republic jobs around here can help you fill the gap of .? spending money.

But.?

if you are coming here.? with the misguided notion of having a ( Northern (eastern) Type )

career with .? anything less than an advanced Degree a payed for house An expertise or Know somebody.

You are in huge trouble my boy.

Cuase there aint nothing here. this is a 500 dollar a week town. so plan accordingly. And dont listen to any exceptions. or somebody or anybody who has had "good luck" or "didnt fair bad". chances are that guy girl. Had an amazingly positive attitude or high degree or knew somebody.

Generally people come here and are very under employed. So have 40 months of rent in the bank

have 20 months of food in the bank have 15 months of gasoline in the bank

And think of career in terms of hours. meaning i can get this guy to give me 1000 hours. Or 4 months of work.

thats how i do it and it works well.

and also get 3 part times. Dont get One full time Cuase it increases exposure.

and people gossip down here Like there is no tommorow or yesterday.

thats my advice you play that you should be ok till your first million.

Wow, I think as far as generalizations go: you really nailed it with this post.

Mods should sticky this post.

If your one in a million then Miami is great, but if your a normal person then jobs here are touch and go. There are no 10 or 15 year long jobs here like in the NorthEast.

Career's here don't exist, you just have to mainly jump around and invent what your next hustle is going to be. Like he said, "unless your one of the few".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami