Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
NYC is a very safe city...same with me...I took the subways anytime of day or night...no problem. Often went out drinking into wee hours of the night, and thought it was great.

I always felt that NYC was much, much safer than anywhere else in the U.S.

But, to 99% of the rest of the country, they perceive NYC as being a hell on earth with muggers on every corner.
It wasn't safe in the in the 80's. central Park was all rats and muggers. Times Sq was a hell-hole. 42nd St was nothing but a carnival of vice and contraband. They had open ***** houses with skank girls standing outside booths. You had to step over the homeless. It was filthy. There were gangs everywhere. If you so much as walked down the street hustlers would swarm you asking what you wanted (guns, girls, drugs?) I was all there. The Port Authority was so out of control they stood down against dealing to focus on assaults. I had a guy push a bag of dope down in pocket and demand money. I chased down the hall for a cigarette. And I'm not a punk. You couldn't in stay in the port authority. You were safer outside.

Times change in various places. Back then NYC was a nightmare that made Miami look like a paradise. I certainly thought MIA was paradise. Just the fact that people didn't beat your brains out just for looking at them wrong to me was like a wonder to me. I sat outside the Parkside with a couple of friends one from Lousiana and one from detroit. Two crackheads fighting over a rock chased each other down the street, one sacked the other right on the side right at our feet. We laughed hilariously at the pathetic battle. They were so weak they couldn't even hurt each other. My friend from Detroit said if it was DET they would have powerslammed that dude ten times. We loved Miami. We feared nothing.

Back then in MB there was a lot of soliciting, but violence was rare against civilians. Nowadays I doubt there's even that. I've walked the streets of Overtown 100 times no problems other than the occasional solicit. Liberty City projects, whatever, and South Beach before it got gentrified. Carry yourself well, respect the people, and you'll have no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Miami is a big city. All big cities have nice and shady areas even New York

What bothers a lot of people is the cultural shock, too much Spanish for some people There are a lot of things I don't like either but this is a nice place to go to college. Some areas are dangerous but just avoid them. And the ugly areas are not as ugly as south America. No way

Last, if you ever go to Colombia. Please skip Cartagena, that is one of the dirtiest cities i've seen. Sorry if I offended anybody

Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I heard about that with NYC back 'in the day'. Fortunately I never experienced that, but I heard about it.

I think it is the Spanish that seems to affect people. I assume it probably is that. After living in NYC, SF, and South America...seeing or hearing Spanish doesn't bother me at all.

BUT...I guess a large majority of people going to Florida are likely from the Midwest, the South, and with the exception of the Northeast...many of those sun-seekers have probably never been exposed to something as commonplace as Spanish speakers speaking Spanish.

Sometimes I have a tough time deciphering where people are coming from to see how much their personal issues would pertain to me personally when they openly discuss their problem with this aspect of South Florida.

I am also anglo-white...and have a preference (from many years abroad) of being around people of difficult cultures and backgrounds.

All that being said, I realize not everyone feels that way - and that includes all kinds of people of ALL kinds of nationalities.

More legit questions might be how well would spanish-speakers receive an anglo person in South Florida. I've always had generally positive speakers with Spanish speaking people...however, I think it has been mentioned that Puerto Ricans from NY in particular are not always the most welcome, for example. Whereas Puerto Rican from Puerto Rican would be, etc.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM

686 posts, read 3,716,710 times
So In your opinion, what parts of Miami are safe to live in and which should be avoided? I am going to be attending the Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami, so I would like to live within a good distance of the school, or live in an area where I can get to/from on public transporation. Is Public Trans. in Miami good or safe? What are the average rents like?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
So In your opinion, what parts of Miami are safe to live in and which should be avoided? I am going to be attending the Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami, so I would like to live within a good distance of the school, or live in an area where I can get to/from on public transporation. Is Public Trans. in Miami good or safe? What are the average rents like?
Live on South Beach dude. It's the best place in the world! It's reasonably safe, insanely fun, and an easy 2 mile bus, bike or motorcycle ride across the Causeway.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Move to Hialeah and put these on your windows:
Were those on the inside??????OMG if they were.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:23 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Live on South Beach dude. It's the best place in the world! It's reasonably safe, insanely fun, and an easy 2 mile bus, bike or motorcycle ride across the Causeway.
isn't South Beach expensive though?? I'm planning of living with a roommate so maybe that could work out

Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM

29 posts, read 82,920 times
if you're going to be a student and live w/ somebody, southbeach isn't expensive. south beach gets expensive when you want to buy property etc. I lived in Miami for 2+ years - most of which was 99% partying it up - then my girlfriend became my wife and we had a baby. that's when things changed and miami didn't really suit our needs anymore. BUT - the point is - GO now while you can and ENJOY. The beaches are incredible, lots of women, lots of party-vibe.... I would encourage it.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Move to Hialeah and put these on your windows:

It looks fake, like photoshop or something.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post

Last, if you ever go to Colombia. Please skip Cartagena, that is one of the dirtiest cities i've seen. Sorry if I offended anybody

Why do you say that? From what I've heard Cartagena is one of the most beautiful cities. haha Cartagena is one of the cities on my list, we'll see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami