Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to move to Miami and am considering just packing up and moving there to go to college. All I ever hear though is that Miami is dirty, trashed, and full of crime. I never really hear and good about the city and would like to get both sides of the story.

In your opinion, can you tell me both good and bad things about Miami. is the crime really that bad? Is the city really so dirty? I'd like to get somewhat of a clear picture as to what Miami and environs is like! Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM

31 posts, read 104,855 times
If you are talking about university of Miami, it is clean and safe.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM

29 posts, read 82,880 times
if you're young and single, and like to party - GO TO SOUTHBEACH NOW.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Is Miami dirty? Well no, but there are many parts of Miami-Dade that don't look so nice. Is crime bad? Its on the rise here. Put it this way, you pretty much have to be aware of your surrounding once you step outside your door. You have to lock your doors always. I know people that leave there cars unlocked with nothing inside so that they don't have to pay to have their windows replaced, if someone wants to get inside their cars. We never leave the windows open at night or if we are not home, but that is the reality of the times now. With that said, I think Miami is a good place to go to college.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:05 PM

49 posts, read 172,334 times
Stay in the good areas and you will probably love it. Stay in the bad areas and you will probably hate it. When is the last time you heard of someone moving to Miami springs, Aventura, or Brickell for example and having the absolute worst time of their life? Don't let a few negative posts scare you from coming to a great city with fun things to do! Honestly, if you come here expecting a bad time it will distract you from the great things Miami has to offer. I believe you already know the areas to avoid if you've been doing your research.

PS. no Miami is not dirty (the good areas).........

Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM

292 posts, read 956,082 times
Stay in the Gables- its nice and clean there- other than that- this place is as dirty as any other central american city. yes- i said that right.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times
thanks a lot. Overall how would you compare Miami with other cities? Comparing everything. Nightlife, things to do, overall attitude, etc....

Old 04-17-2009, 07:46 PM

292 posts, read 956,082 times
nightlife is great- attitude is cocky- everyone is a tough guy- overall its alot of new money attitude- and its just been crushed thank god in the last year- i feel bad for all those people who lost everything to the economy but they should have bought things they could afford- the american dream was on sale here and everyone bought it.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Going to college there seems ideal.

I think what others complain about is they don't have jobs and don't have much money and move their wife and kids there.

When you have a bunch of people with you, you have to find a big enough house for them, and to do so without job and money, means living in less than desireable areas, and so forth.

But for a college kid attending college...seems like Miami would be ideal. I'd love to have studied there.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Miami...

You'll either love it, or you'll hate it....no real middle ground.

I think that if you're either wealthy, young, into the "Latin" culture and have a high level of tolerance for the idiocy here, you'll love it.

Having lived here for +6 years now though, I've come to the conclusion that Miami is not for the "mature" audience. This is a great place to party, have fun and to be oblivious to the world around you, but it's no place to settle down.

Most of the people I know here who are happy and oblivious are still "kids", even at 40 years old. There's nothing wrong with that, but when it gets to the point where you want more out of life than just partying, drinking and socializing with a bunch of wannabes, maybe it's time to move on. I find that in general, people in Miami are very immature, whether it's their outlook on life, the way they drive, or the way they dress and conduct themselves in public. At 21, this is not a problem, but once the non-Miamian passes 30, it becomes a little less easy to tolerate.

Ah...take what I say with a pinch of salt. I've just outgrown this city. It offers me nothing, culturally and it is foreign in every way *but* a good way.

Miami is what it is...you'll love it, or you'll hate it....personally, I hate it

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 04-17-2009 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami