Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Thomas

The Business of America is Business.
Language, who cares?
People will learn the language they need.
If they don't want to learn English or Spanish, their problem.
The invisible fingers of competitition will teach them what language to learn.
Yah, it's English.

You just don't get it. In business, global business, the language is ENGLISH! If you want to succeed, especially in business, you learn English.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 PM

32 posts, read 69,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
lol!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 PM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Yah, it's English.

You just don't get it. In business, global business, the language is ENGLISH! If you want to succeed, especially in business, you learn English.
Yeah, in business, global business, the language is English. But why? Because the people who have the money speak English. You still have it wrong even though you moved to Rhode Island. Follow the money and it will lead you to the language. Not viceversa. The people in Miami who have the money speak Spanish so learn spanish if you want to make yourself useful here. Note, I understand the importance of English. I am even for proposing English as the only and official language in the State but real life is something different. It's life and free market, do not fight it. I know a few guys who have been fighting this for some time now and to no avail they are still looking at few bumps on the road.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Quote:
Yah, it's English.

-----

Most Spanish speaking rich people know English, but they'd rather speak Spanish.

Since America caters to the need of rich people, Spanish is the preferred language in places where rich Spanish speaking people spend and invest their money.

Maybe some day Arabs will come and Arab will be the preferred language, but right now Press 1 2 and 3 for Spanish.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 AM

193 posts, read 371,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Yeah, in business, global business, the language is English. But why? Because the people who have the money speak English. You still have it wrong even though you moved to Rhode Island. Follow the money and it will lead you to the language. Not viceversa. The people in Miami who have the money speak Spanish so learn spanish if you want to make yourself useful here. Note, I understand the importance of English. I am even for proposing English as the only and official language in the State but real life is something different. It's life and free market, do not fight it. I know a few guys who have been fighting this for some time now and to no avail they are still looking at few bumps on the road.

English is the language of business because of a few things, but the fact that the US, and to a lesser extent the UK, have money isn't the most important factor. Remember Spain had one of the richest empires in history at one point, but why was that and why didn't it last?

I think you have to go back further than recent history to determine why English is generally spoken in business.

BTW, I've seen business meetings between South Asians that are conducted in English.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
English is the language of business because of a few things, but the fact that the US, and to a lesser extent the UK, have money isn't the most important factor. Remember Spain had one of the richest empires in history at one point, but why was that and why didn't it last?

I think you have to go back further than recent history to determine why English is generally spoken in business.

BTW, I've seen business meetings between South Asians that are conducted in English.
OK, do not get into details, but the fact that the US and the UK have been the world powers during the last three hundred years has given a boost to the English Language. But the main factor has been money and power. It always is. Just look at our founding fathers. Do you think Jefferson would have go to war with the almighty British Army if the King would have adopted a commonwealth approach? I do not think so.

The Spanish Empire? I do not consider the Spanish Empire as monolothic as the British Empire. Remember, the Iberian Peninsula has different languages and different cultures and it happened that Castillian Spanish was the one spoken by the Crown. That is all about the Castillian Spanish. But either way, I am sure back in the days of the Spanish Empire a lot of people spoke Castillian Spanish. Only the actual US, CA, FL, LA, AR, NM, PR. Even more, back in those days, when British were considered inferiors, nobody wanted to be british or associated with one. Now when the tide changed. Well you know the rest.

Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to fight about the importance of learnign English in America. If one wants to make in the ol' USA you need to know English. But the reality is Capitalism carries a free market mentality who obeys the invisinble hand of the market according to Adam Smith or in better terms "the hand that follows the money" according to ME. Do you want to follow other hands? You can go to N. Korea, and Cuba. They stop following the hand that carries the money and look at how distress they are now. Adapt, Change, and Survive!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 AM

193 posts, read 371,512 times
Quote:
OK, do not get into details, but the fact that the US and the UK have been the world powers during the last three hundred years has given a boost to the English Language. But the main factor has been money and power. It always is. Just look at our founding fathers. Do you think Jefferson would have go to war with the almighty British Army if the King would have adopted a commonwealth approach? I do not think so.

The Spanish Empire? I do not consider the Spanish Empire as monolothic as the British Empire. Remember, the Iberian Peninsula has different languages and different cultures and it happened that Castillian Spanish was the one spoken by the Crown. That is all about the Castillian Spanish. But either way, I am sure back in the days of the Spanish Empire a lot of people spoke Castillian Spanish. Only the actual US, CA, FL, LA, AR, NM, PR. Even more, back in those days, when British were considered inferiors, nobody wanted to be british or associated with one. Now when the tide changed. Well you know the rest.

Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to fight about the importance of learnign English in America. If one wants to make in the ol' USA you need to know English. But the reality is Capitalism carries a free market mentality who obeys the invisinble hand of the market according to Adam Smith or in better terms "the hand that follows the money" according to ME. Do you want to follow other hands? You can go to N. Korea, and Cuba. They stop following the hand that carries the money and look at how distress they are now. Adapt, Change, and Survive!
I forgot we're not allowed to discuss anything not related to the thread title!

Even when it's interesting.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
I moved to Rhode Island? Oh crap, I'm in the wrong state!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I moved to Rhode Island? Oh crap, I'm in the wrong state!
I thought you had moved to RI. .

Old 06-15-2011, 01:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post

-----

The language of business is MONEY. If the carrier of money speaks SPANISH, the language of business is SPANISH. In Miami, the language of Business is SPANISH, not in Paskogee, not in Ashenburry, but in Miami.

Why? Geography!!!!

Will Spanish/Portuguese be more important in the future, YES. Why? Emerging economies, raw materials and dwindling American influence everywhere.

The English Empire is also dead and cold, nothing remains even considering that it was more much modern than the Spanish empire.

English is important in business because AMERICANS won the war, created the EEC and modern Europe and the FREE WORLD, not because of the "English empire". Even French was more important than English a few generations ago.

I was in Vietnam one month ago, plenty of Spanish speakers. I've seen many Filipino that speak Spanish, Taiwanese (former Spanish colony) and Chinese.

Last edited by Manolón; 06-15-2011 at 01:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami