Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,423 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are relocating to Miami the first week of August. He is attending the Law School at the University of Miami and we are looking at different areas to live in. We are open to venturing out of Coral Gables to have a bigger house since we have a large dog. Which neighborhoods might we be able to find a house with a yard for under 1200 that is still safe? Also, we are big 'foodies' here in Chicago. We love fine dinning and good food and wine. Have any recommendations for good restaurants to check out?

Thanks,

Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcculloch View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are relocating to Miami the first week of August. He is attending the Law School at the University of Miami and we are looking at different areas to live in. We are open to venturing out of Coral Gables to have a bigger house since we have a large dog. Which neighborhoods might we be able to find a house with a yard for under 1200 that is still safe? Also, we are big 'foodies' here in Chicago. We love fine dinning and good food and wine. Have any recommendations for good restaurants to check out?

Thanks,

Rachel
Hello,

I grew up in Chicago, and moved to Miami in the early 2000's. You will not find a house in an area anywhere near as nice as Coral Gables for $1,200/month. You will be in a seedy area for $1,200/month if you plan on renting a single family home in Miami.

ON the other hand, if you expand your options to a townhome, you can probably find a nice, new one with a small fenced backyard in the Homestead area, or in therefore, down SOUTH, a 45-min drive from UM. Another place to look is Doral (West on 836), which has a lot of townhomes, but commuting to and from Doral, especially to UM, would be awful.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,762 times
I would seek info directly from the Univ Miami Law School Administration. You can not be the only couple who have moved from afar to go to UM Law. They should be able to put you in touch with a 2nd or 3rd yr law student in a similar situation.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Mr. Furry will be the problem. Will need space to run around. Not everybody wants to rent to someone with a dog, much less a big dog. A TH community might limit size of dog and it may also be too small a property.

I'm going to be daring and suggest you look around the City of West Miami and areas to the south towards Miller Road and Sunset, more or less. The campus won't be that far from these areas and you just might be able to rent a SFH. The homes may not be totally upgraded and modernized but they should be moderate. Many of these areas are highly hispanic, albeit mostly bilingual but you'll have to search your soul as to coping tolerance.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,423 times
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. We are open to living in a more hispanic area, considering we are currently living in a highly Puerto Rican are here in Chicago. We don't mind that, as long as our chances of getting broken in to are still relatively low. I'll take a look at some of the areas you suggested. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami