Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Ah optimism. Enjoy it while you can because that will be the first thing to go, usually followed by politeness.

Yeah, 'cause Miami is just like San Francisco.
Downtown is your only hope of having any kind of nightlife without having a terrible commute to MIA. I don't know why some people suggested Coral Gables. Althoguh a nice area, it is not known for any nightlife. In fact, teh population drops in half after 6:00 PM when all of the hired help goes home.
Downtown and Miami Beach obviously have the good nightlife along with Coconut Grove and from neither of those places will it take longer than 20-25min with traffic to get to MIA. Coral Gables Miracle Mile area has some nightlife with a small bar and decent restaurant scene I am sure it beats Columbia SC night life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Just be careful. While Miami and San Francisco are large cities, they are poles apart in just about every sense (trust me, I live in Miami and have stayed in SF a few times). I suggest spending some time here first before making any kind of decision, because this place isn't for everyone.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
What kind of dogs do you have? Many (most) places will not rent if you have pets, and even then usually a cat only and if you are luck they take ONE small dog. When you run into this problem, start looking for houses to rent or cottages. When people say no pets just tell them you will pay an additional month as a dog deposit....and introduce the dogs to the owners (and hopefully show them they are trained and well behaved).

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

7 posts, read 15,097 times
Good catch on the dog aspect. I have noticed the dog restrictions/policy in many places. I agree a house or cottage is better suited for my pets. I have an Australian Shephard (65 lbs) and a German Shephard Mix (45 lbs). Both are well trained and used to being around people. I understand San Francisco is not Miami, and vice versa. I have been to Miami a few times to visit friends and family that have lived there. This is not an impulsive decision to move on my own part; it is a result of military moving me around in my career. Miami is my next move. And you are right, anything is better than Columbia, SC.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
sheez. You are in for a rude awakening unfortunately. Anyhow, good luck.

Why a rude awakening , do you know this persons interests or their background ... I suspect he/she is single and for a single person with a decent income Miami and the areas mentioned Coral Gables , South Miami , Brickell , etc , etc are great places to live for a few years ... throw in South Beach and the design district and they can look forward to some fun and excitement . Most of South Carolina except for Charleston seems boring as hell .... I would not recommend Miami for a family , and would even think twice for a married couple but for a single person there is no doubt it would be an experience .

Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Downtown and Miami Beach obviously have the good nightlife along with Coconut Grove and from neither of those places will it take longer than 20-25min with traffic to get to MIA. Coral Gables Miracle Mile area has some nightlife with a small bar and decent restaurant scene I am sure it beats Columbia SC night life.
Coral Gables has some excellent restaurants , shopping and yes nightlife especially when you throw in nearby Coconut Grove ... I agree with you 100% .

Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Ah optimism. Enjoy it while you can because that will be the first thing to go, usually followed by politeness.

Yeah, 'cause Miami is just like San Francisco.
Downtown is your only hope of having any kind of nightlife without having a terrible commute to MIA. I don't know why some people suggested Coral Gables. Althoguh a nice area, it is not known for any nightlife. In fact, teh population drops in half after 6:00 PM when all of the hired help goes home.
Don't you ever tire of posting solely negative fluff ... that is all I ever see from you ?

The OP is obviously a young person , probably single and who knows may even like Miami ..... the places he / she intends to live in may just be their cup of tea .

Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean22180 View Post
Good catch on the dog aspect. I have noticed the dog restrictions/policy in many places. I agree a house or cottage is better suited for my pets. I have an Australian Shephard (65 lbs) and a German Shephard Mix (45 lbs). Both are well trained and used to being around people. I understand San Francisco is not Miami, and vice versa. I have been to Miami a few times to visit friends and family that have lived there. This is not an impulsive decision to move on my own part; it is a result of military moving me around in my career. Miami is my next move. And you are right, anything is better than Columbia, SC.
LOL, just wait..........

Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 15,097 times
Rock Newman, Thank you for the positive sales pitches for Miami. Not sure why people are so negative on this, but that is human nature. After spending a few winters in Afghanistan and a summer in Iraq over the last three years, I am looking forward to a little stability; even if it is in a city as bad as some people claim. Thank you for everyone's comments.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean22180 View Post
After spending a few winters in Afghanistan and a summer in Iraq over the last three years, I am looking forward to a little stability
I can assure someone will tell you those places are better than this. That's not the Miami attitude though, it's just the way this forum is set up and some of the positive comments don't make it through.

I wish people were more objective, that way, they would have more credibility. I don't like some things down here myself, but EVERYTHING? C'mon. In case you don't know according to some people everything in Miami is worse, the moon, the sun, the stars in the Miami's sky, even English spoken by Anglos is the worst down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami