Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean22180 View Post
Rock Newman, Thank you for the positive sales pitches for Miami. Not sure why people are so negative on this, but that is human nature. After spending a few winters in Afghanistan and a summer in Iraq over the last three years, I am looking forward to a little stability; even if it is in a city as bad as some people claim. Thank you for everyone's comments.

Hey man, I wish you the best in Miami, I really do. Just choose wisely, and do your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Rock Newman and Ean - I totally agree. Miami isnt for everyone - but for someone single with gainful employment and looking for fun - its a good choice. To most of the other posters' point - visit and interact with the populus first - we can be a little umm - difficult.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Rock Newman, Thank you for the positive sales pitches for Miami. Not sure why people are so negative on this, but that is human nature. After spending a few winters in Afghanistan and a summer in Iraq over the last three years, I am looking forward to a little stability; even if it is in a city as bad as some people claim. Thank you for everyone's comments.
I am certainly not a spokesman for the Miami Chamber Of Commerce and there are many things about Miami I do not like .... but if you are a young single person who intends on living in Coral Gables , South Miami or Brickell areas ... you may really like it . Just come down with the right frame of mind and have fun .... I personally like other areas in South Florida better ... but my wife and I will get our Miami "fix " from time to time by hitting Lincoln Road on South Beach , Hispaniola Way , Mary Brickell Village , Key Biscayne , Coconut Grove or Coral Gables ... in reality and despite what some of these other jaded naysayers on here say .. there are some beautiful upscale and just plain cool areas in Miami Dade County ... I forgot to mention the Sunny Isles and Bal Harbor areas as well as cool places to spend a Friday night or a weekend . If your plan is to come down here for a few years and have fun .... then you have picked the right spot ..... also not sure if you are male or female ... but if you are the former get ready to see some first rate eye candy !!!

Good Luck to you

Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Hey man, I wish you the best in Miami, I really do. Just choose wisely, and do your homework.

Good tips .... doing your homework is key to living content down in Meeami !!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Great post Rock! I have to agree. Miami is a great place young, single people who want to move to Miami for a few years. And since they are young in single they can up an leave after a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I am certainly not a spokesman for the Miami Chamber Of Commerce and there are many things about Miami I do not like .... but if you are a young single person who intends on living in Coral Gables , South Miami or Brickell areas ... you may really like it . Just come down with the right frame of mind and have fun .... I personally like other areas in South Florida better ... but my wife and I will get our Miami "fix " from time to time by hitting Lincoln Road on South Beach , Hispaniola Way , Mary Brickell Village , Key Biscayne , Coconut Grove or Coral Gables ... in reality and despite what some of these other jaded naysayers on here say .. there are some beautiful upscale and just plain cool areas in Miami Dade County ... I forgot to mention the Sunny Isles and Bal Harbor areas as well as cool places to spend a Friday night or a weekend . If your plan is to come down here for a few years and have fun .... then you have picked the right spot ..... also not sure if you are male or female ... but if you are the former get ready to see some first rate eye candy !!!

Good Luck to you

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Thank you for the help! I am looking forward to getting back into a big city. I used to live in San Francisco area about three years ago before I moved here to S.C. I im pretty open minded and am really excited to get back into a diverse environment where I can actually have intellectual conversations.
this place is ok but I have to warn you, diversity here only includes Cubans, when you first meet them, they can rub a lot of people the wrong way and the most intellectual we get is talking about our trip to Walmart. I'm not being sarcastic this time. People who love partying consider this heaven, intellectuals not so much It's a beautiful place though.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Great post Rock! I have to agree. Miami is a great place young, single people who want to move to Miami for a few years. And since they are young in single they can up an leave after a little while.

Thanks doggiebus .. we have neighbors up here in Parkland who did just that , they lived in a condo at the Village of Merrick Park which is pretty much in between Coral Gables and Coconut Grove for three years .. they are a young couple in their early thirties .. he worked from home in national accounts while she completed grad school at UM .... they claimed they had a great time for just over three years in Miami and really enjoyed the partying and nightlife ... and then it was time to get serious , and think of having kids so they moved to Weston , then Parkland

For many people as long as you take Miami for what it is , a great tourism and nightlife hub and know you will live there for a predetermined amount of time .. it can be a super experience .

Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Miami is a great place for someomne young, carefree and into partying and beaches. I'm a little bit older than "young" though and the days of clubbing, partying and drinking myself into oblivion are somewhat over. Now, I crave scenery, a bit of peace and quiet, a varied music scene and four seasons of the year...yes folks, Miami is great for some, but it 'aint for me.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Thank you for the help! I am looking forward to getting back into a big city. I used to live in San Francisco area about three years ago before I moved here to S.C. I im pretty open minded and am really excited to get back into a diverse environment where I can actually have intellectual conversations.
Not an impossibility, but Miami is not known for its intellectual atmosphere.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
ean

Let's say that compared to any city or suburban conurbanation north of Miami, Miami is Paris, the "City of Light".

Ok, Miami is Paris and the rest are very quiet towns and conurbanations in, let's say, Poland.

Miami is alive, people think, interact, there are contrasts. The rest up north, well, it's OK if you love bucolical live and secluded life and reenactments of the 50's.

But concerning the "intellectualism" you are looking for, in Miami you might find a 2 or 3 rate out of 10, and zero up north of that city. Barren territory. Dead brain activity.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 08-13-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami