Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,529 times

Advertisements

Ok, my husband got orders to work in Doral. We will be moving end of dez and the big question is - where would we be living? We have to girls (6,2) and we are looking for a very family friendly area/ neighborhood with other families with kids around and good schools. They are very used to having lots of other children around them to play with. We are also planning on renting a 3 bedroom house, townhouse or decent apartment (1600$) My husbands future co workers are keep bringing up pembroke pines or kendall... i have absolutely no idea what to think or where to look. My husband planning on flying to miami in nov to check out some areas, so if you could give us any advice it would be really greatly appreciated!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
Stay in Broward County; Pembroke Pines is much more appealing to an honest, middle class family than the rat race in Miami. Gaudy, obnoxious displays of immigrant wealth in Miami would be a constant annoyance to a military family on a budget. The commute from Doral to Kendall is a nightmare, and even though the distance to Pembroke Pines is longer -16 miles vs 10 miles- the commute is quicker.

The schools are also better up there, as Miami-Dade public schools are a complete failure - Miami-Dade's high schools have a 47% graduation rate.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
^^^ lol your stats are from like 2000, i think its up at like 70 now. and dont live in broward your commute to doral will be like 3 hours no lie. just find a place in doral, or the fountaineblue area( cheaper, but close to doral) cause im guessing you hubby will be working in the southern command in doral.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,741 times
Live in Pinecrest, don't do the commute to Broward on a daily basis, not worth it. The elementary schools in Pinecrest are excellent. Fountaineblue would be a nice area too.

I don't know why people want to live in Broward county and commute to Miami, it is not that bad here. Children live here, and go to school. It is very nice. Here is the website for Pinecrest elementary.
Pinecrest Elementary School :: Miami, Florida :: Parents (http://pinecrest.dadeschools.net/parents.html - broken link)

This area is very nice, parks, mall, close to train. Not too expensive.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Live in Pinecrest, don't do the commute to Broward on a daily basis, not worth it. The elementary schools in Pinecrest are excellent. Fountaineblue would be a nice area too.
I doubt he will find a house for $1600 a month in Pinecrest, and as we well know, there are really no townhomes in Pinecrest. Also, Pinecrest is even farther away from Doral than Kendall.

Don't be scared about commuting to Pembroke Pines... the Turnpike is a breeze, and Pembroke Pines is in Southern Broward County, close to Miami (and Doral).

Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post

I don't know why people want to live in Broward county and commute to Miami, it is not that bad here. Children live here, and go to school. It is very nice. Here is the website for Pinecrest elementary.
Pinecrest Elementary School :: Miami, Florida :: Parents (http://pinecrest.dadeschools.net/parents.html - broken link)

This area is very nice, parks, mall, close to train. Not too expensive.
Too bad Pinecrest would be a longer commute in minutes traveld to Doral than Coral Springs, let alone Pembroke Pines...

Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Consider South Miami/Sunset area, Kendall (especially east, central, and near-west - Calusa CC/Crossings area), Miami Lakes, Miami Springs, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City and Doral itself. There are some very good schools in those areas, especially in Kendall and Cooper City, and NO, the commute from Kendall to Doral is not bad at all as another forumer has suggested. Best of luck with your move!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
the commute from Kendall to Doral is not bad at all as another forumer has suggested. Best of luck with your move!
Depends where in Kendall you are...Kendall is quite large.

I know you won't agree with me, but I wouldn't reccommend Kendall because I personally dislike it, and because I don't know any family that would ever live there. Especially in 2009. Then again, military families are quite adaptable to rare circumstances.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Depends where in Kendall you are...Kendall is quite large...

I know you won't agree with me, but I wouldn't reccommend Kendall because I personally dislike it, and because I don't know any family that would ever live there. Especially in 2009. Then again, military families are quite adaptable to rare circumstances.
Calusa Country Club / Crossings area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&so...5&z=15&iwloc=A

Falls area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. kendall fl - Google Maps

Village of Kendale area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. kendall fl - Google Maps

Baptist Hospital/Continental Park area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. kendall fl - Google Maps

It does not matter that this is 2009; these are nice, safe, family-friendly areas with good schools. You are entitled to your opinion, but it blows my mind that you would suggest that living in Kendall is akin to living in "rare circumstances." It is a classic American suburb with mostly middle class and upper-middle class residents, for crying out loud!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Calusa Country Club / Crossings area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. kendall fl - Google Maps

Falls area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. kendall fl - Google Maps

Village of Kendale area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. kendall fl - Google Maps

Baptist Hospital/Continental Park area - hasn't changed much since I was a kid. kendall fl - Google Maps

It does not matter that this is 2009; these are nice, safe, family-friendly areas with good schools. You are entitled to your opinion, but it blows my mind that you would suggest that living in Kendall is akin to living in "rare circumstances." It is a classic American suburb with mostly middle class and upper-middle class residents, for crying out loud!
To each his own, Crisp.

Remember, I am from the Midwest, and living in a place like Kendall is probably more 'exotic, different, dysfunctional, or what have you' than 90% of most comparable suburbs here in Chicago. The only areas in Chicago that are as "XYZ, ethnic, exotic, etc." as Kendall are the ones that stable families and educated people avoid like the plague. Suburbs like Kendall do not exist in most American cities, especially Chicago.

Last edited by cuba libre; 09-04-2009 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami