Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,967 times

Advertisements

I currently live in GA but im going to FIU next Fall? Is the a good college town for me? I love 2 party but Im also a very hard worker? Is Miami the place for me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times
U bet...

Welcome to Paradise City...

Where the grass is green / & the girls are pretty...

Old 10-17-2009, 05:34 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
OP - It depends on what you want. FIU is a great school. FIU is a commuter school still for the most part. So many people drive there from many different parts of South Florida, so everyone doesn't live around the University. If you want that quintessential college experience, with with the big football season, keg parties, the whole town is wearing your school colors on the weekend, all your neighbors are college students going through the same things, etc. things you would get at traditional college towns like FSU, UF, or Duke, then FIU isn't the place. But if school is your main priority and you don't mind maybe missing out of few things that college towns offer, you will be fine here. We have South Beach and Coconut Grove for partying...Its just a different college experience. I went to FSU, I am so glad I went to school in a college town like Tally, and would highly recommend it vs a commuter school like FIU. With that said its all an individual preference.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
FIU is nice, but not a true university with the real college life. Like someone mentioned, it's a commuter school. Don't get me wrong, you will have a BLAST, but it's nothing like you see in movies like Old School and the like.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:28 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
FIU is a good school and in Miami, how can it not be fun? Its a commuter school, but you'll still have fun. On a side note, you are 18 and "love to party" that attitude is going to wind you in a lot of trouble with your grades .. it isnt high school

Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 AM

317 posts, read 819,807 times
Being an FIU alum that also lived in the dorms for 3 years and one year off campus in the vicinity, I can tell you there is a small party atmosphere on campus along with some the surrounding apartment communities. The thing is there was always two sets of partying, those who left campus for South Beach, Coconut Grove, Las Olas...etc... and then there were those that would stay on campus and sneak the alcohol to the dorms (which is not permitted) and have covert parties undercover of the resident assistant (in charge of making sure noone broke the rules, who lives in the dorms usually one a floor)
I was lucky enough to live with 2 great roomates and we had a keg party in our dorm every other Saturday. We also all graduated with good grades, the key is study hard during the week party hard during the weekend and only weekend.(my advice on keeping a balance)
Also, if you dont have a car, have a friend with a car because there are some weekends when everyone is doing something off campus and the campus can be a ghost town. But it is definitely a commuter atmosphere, we do have alot of students that drive home for the weekend.

My ex-girlfriend went to UF and on occasion I would stay the weekend with her in Gainesville. The partying up there is all about finding where the best house party is,there was alot of going from house to house to party along with many beer bongs, beer pong and a frenzy of those looking to buy marijuana. Its more of an adventure compared to Miami, which the party is setup for you all you have to do is get there....Fun Times...enjoy them and make sure you pass your classes the job market these days requires it.

Last edited by traveler36; 10-18-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM

292 posts, read 956,614 times
One question- Do you speak spanish?

Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 PM

261 posts, read 704,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinbasketbll23 View Post
I currently live in GA but im going to FIU next Fall? Is the a good college town for me? I love 2 party but Im also a very hard worker? Is Miami the place for me??
There's only one way to find out...Being away from home for the first time and going to a place like Miami would be a great experience, in my opinion, IF you have the self-discipline to make sure you don't biff up your grades due to too much partying.

Just out of curiosity, what's your desired major?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,967 times
major is biology...thanx i might just go 2 university of alabama then for more of the college experience! and i speak a little spanish

Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 AM

46 posts, read 165,538 times
Ya, you'll definitely have more fun at Bama.....they also have a pretty good football team up there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami