Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:14 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times

Advertisements

Nothing in Miami that can or could label people from Miami... like from Texas, Brooklyn or Mass....no slang or even an accent, and I have lived in Fla since 1973, Miami since 1988.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 12:23 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
There's definitely a Miami accent. My son moved out of the area years ago and he can always recognize if someone is from Miami before they tell him. Not talking about if someone has a Spanish accent. This is specifically a Miami accent. Over accentuated vowel sounds and something with the L sound. bale002 said it's second/third generation Cubans but I've heard Americans who have no Hispanic backgrounds with this accent.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Nothing in Miami that can or could label people from Miami... like from Texas, Brooklyn or Mass....no slang or even an accent, and I have lived in Fla since 1973, Miami since 1988.
You are local and are used to it and don't hear it. I posted a video showing the women talking in that accent and they are white Americans. while it's not over, it's like the Canadian accent. Sounds mostly American but you hear a few words pronounced differently. With the Miami accent it's subtle and has to do with the cadence.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_accent

Features of the Miami accent from a report on the Miami accent from WLRN Radio:

First, vowel pronunciation. In Spanish, there are five vowel sounds. In English, there are eleven. Thus, you have words like “hand,” with the long, nasal "A" sound, pronounced more like hahnd because the long "A" does not exist in Spanish.

While most consonants sound the same in Spanish and English, the Spanish "L" is heavier, with the tongue sticking to the roof of the mouth more so than in English. This Spanish "L" pronunciation is present in Miami English.

The rhythms of the two languages are also different. In Spanish, each syllable is the same length, but in English, the syllables fluctuate in length. This is a difference in milliseconds, but they cause the rhythm of Miami English to sound a bit like the rhythm of Spanish.

Finally, “calques” are phrases directly translated from one language to another where the translation isn’t exactly idiomatic in the other language. For example, instead of saying, “let’s get out of the car,” someone from Miami might say, "let’s get down from the car" because of the Spanish phrase "bajar del coche".[7]

Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
I'm amazed at the amount of people I know, and run into, that have been in Miami for over 50 years....that do not speak one word of English........I honestly do not even know how that is possible.....some of then had to have been kids 50 years ago...had to go to school...and no schools taught in Spanish back then

Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Never even heard of such a thing until this thread. I do not think there is any accent, maybe an exaggeration of a few differences that have not even been quantified as being specific to Miami, but that is not even close to an accent. My family has been here since the 1940's.

Maybe it is a Spanish language thing? Sure as hell not in English.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
If there was no such thing as a Miami accent, people wouldn't be able to place where a parson from Miami is from when they're in another part of the country. It used to be only people who Spanish is their first language but I've heard it first hand in people who only speak English. Young people.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I'm amazed at the amount of people I know, and run into, that have been in Miami for over 50 years....that do not speak one word of English........I honestly do not even know how that is possible.....some of then had to have been kids 50 years ago...had to go to school...and no schools taught in Spanish back then
That's what you imagine. Anyone who came to this country as a kid knows how to speak English if they were raised here unless they were kept in a cave and were only exposed to a different language. If they came here as kids they would most likely not have much of an accent of their native tongue even if it's also spoken in the home. Normally the time they say that people keep their accent when they learn a new language is if they started speaking it after puberty.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:16 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
LIG...I did not say I imagined anything......I know these people

Old 05-21-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
LIG...I did not say I imagined anything......I know these people

There are people who came as adults in their 40s and have been here 40 plus years, no they don't speak English because it's hard to learn a new language after a certain age, and they didn't need to learn it since they could have other's translate when needed. But kids who grew up here who don't speak English, never happened.

Even this Cuban actress speaks English better than a lot of people do in Miami

Cued up

https://youtu.be/Le4wqgWNVKc?t=899
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami