Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,727 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of getting an apartment in Doral, specifically a complex called Las Vistas which is around 79th Ave and 48th Street. I've heard of landfills and/or garbage dumps in Doral, however I don't know where they are exactly.
Can anyone tell me where they are and if the Las Vistas complex is near any of them?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
The old landfill is around NW 58 st to 74 St from 87 ave to 92 ave. A newer active landfill is just northwest of the old one. Also the land near the turnpike from NW 36 st to 74 st was the site of much illegal dumping of tires, junk, medical waste, chemical residue. Most of the new construction out that way was built on that formerly worthless wetland.

Miami-Dade County - Solid Waste Management Current facilities, but the old ones aren't listed. A little known fact- an abandoned landfill is next to FIU north campus.

Munisport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My parents used to know all the areas to avoid, most have been built up- some with "luxury" homes.

Last edited by tallrick; 06-13-2007 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-14-2007, 04:44 AM

929 posts, read 1,157,029 times
ahhh the sweet sweet stench of trash.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:45 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atenaten View Post
I'm thinking of getting an apartment in Doral, specifically a complex called Las Vistas which is around 79th Ave and 48th Street. I've heard of landfills and/or garbage dumps in Doral, however I don't know where they are exactly.
Can anyone tell me where they are and if the Las Vistas complex is near any of them?

Thanks.
I use to work in that area. About 5-13 years ago, that area was the worst area in Doral to live. I'm not sure about now, but I heard that they have cleaned the area up. As far as the landfill and garbage dump, I believe that the landfill is no longer in use or will soon be out of commission. I would check with the City of Doral on that. Another negative thing about that area is that there are tons of trucks driving around because it's so commercialized. On the other hand, you would be close to the palmetto expressway and the area is pretty centralized. Crime in that area isn't as bad as in other areas. Depending on your budget, I would look into apartments inside Doral Park.(NW 41 St. to NW 58 St/ 97 Ave to 107 Ave. ) That area is nicer. It's newer and has a country club, park, golf, etc.. Good luck.

To answer your question, the garbage dumps are north of NW 58 St. West of NW 97 Ave. They use to turn the incinerator on in the early morning hours. I guess that the amount and/or the direction of the wind is what would dictate how it would affect you.

Last edited by Miami Vice; 06-14-2007 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
A little known fact- an abandoned landfill is next to FIU north campus.

So true. When I was in college, the whiff of the old landfill late at night used to wake me up when I kept my windows open (I lived on campus @ FIU-North)

Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Haha, I've been up north and they used to built nice homes on areas that were previously dumps too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: