Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,940 times

Advertisements

Michigan is quite humid. The best places to avoid humidity are, as has been said, the mountain west. I have lived in Michigan, Colorado and Montana and CO and MT have almost zero humidity in comparison to SE Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
Michigan is quite humid. The best places to avoid humidity are, as has been said, the mountain west. I have lived in Michigan, Colorado and Montana and CO and MT have almost zero humidity in comparison to SE Michigan.
You have not lived in the U.P. Quite a different story, as I have said. Or , maybe you do not consider the U.P. Michigan ?

Ether way, the SW is not the place to go for respiratory ills. The extreme dust, cactus flowers, and overbearing heat is a non starter. I know, been there done that. The high elevations of the west are great, always have been, however some people just can't stand the altitude because of other health problems.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I don't think there is any point in telling her to move to the UP when the whole reason for considering Michigan is the support of friends to help with her kids. Either its humid in New Lyons area or not.
I think MI/NY is sort of a push. You might want to consider that if you come here your friends may end up moving if they lose their jobs.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You have not lived in the U.P. Quite a different story, as I have said. Or , maybe you do not consider the U.P. Michigan ?

Ether way, the SW is not the place to go for respiratory ills. The extreme dust, cactus flowers, and overbearing heat is a non starter. I know, been there done that. The high elevations of the west are great, always have been, however some people just can't stand the altitude because of other health problems.
Of course I consider the U.P. Michigan, only a dolt wouldn't.
I said weather in SE (southeast) Michigan is humid in comparison to the mountain west, and the area that she is discussing moving to (Oakland County) which is in southeast Michigan is very humid. I grew up in the South Lyon and New Hudson areas, which I assume is what she means, rather than New Lyons.
If this is a post trying to help this woman relating to her move to southeast Michigan, I see no reason to suggest she move to the Upper Peninsula.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM

No, just that moving from Calf. to Michigan , for the weather , is a non starter. The other thing is , Upper Mi. IS one of the Nations best places for health, quality of life. Sounds like thats what she is looking for. A lot more people would move here if it were not for the jobs they want. It will always be the way it is here, a delicate balance economically, because of our low population compared to land Mass. Sort of like Wyoming in that regard.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't think there is any point in telling her to move to the UP when the whole reason for considering Michigan is the support of friends to help with her kids. Either its humid in New Lyons area or not.
I think MI/NY is sort of a push. You might want to consider that if you come here your friends may end up moving if they lose their jobs.
The U.P. is a lot more like upstate NY than lower Michigan is, in many ways.
I know of several people who have moved here that came from Maine, VT. and up state NY. They never considered anywhere in Lower MI.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkitten View Post
I used to live in NY July-August was bad with humidity/asthma. I lived in CO but the altitude was extreme on me 1,000,000X worse than humidity. I can't live in the desert its dusty and sagebrush galore. Plus I despise heat/sun. I am in CA air pollution plus agriculture smells/pollen are horrid on me in Sacramento. On top of it there are no physicians here that can treat me just run down community clinics who wont get me referrals. I am buying my meds online and praying to find a place I can call home and get treatment. I've even thought about Kansas, no joke. I just need a place where I can breathe and have adequate care for my issues
I live on the northeast side of MI. I also suffer from asthma. I lived for 12 years in the VERY dry state of Wyoming, always above 5000 feet. Wind, dust, dry .....you get the picture. On a purely "asthma basis", the dry, high altitude is MUCH better for me. Even visiting for a couple of weeks makes a huge difference in my breathing ....for the better. I was out there (Jackson) for just 10 days a year ago and was able to hike for about 2 hours with absolutely no breathing problems. At 6500 feet. This northeast part of Michigan isn't too bad but I think if your asthma has an allergy component, as mine does, you'll have to manage it carefully. There's definitely molds and mildew here that I never encountered in Wyoming.

I'm not sure what your "condition" is that no one in CA can treat it. I'd think there's pretty good medical care out there. You come across (I may be reading you wrong so forgive me if I am) very negative and somewhat hopeless feeling. I'd say in the lower part of the lower peninsula, you're going to have considerable humidity (80% is common in Spring and Summer) and a certain amount of pollution and still air that won't do you much good. I lived east of East Lansing before I moved up north. I'm much better up here. Medical care? It's better on the northWEST side than over here, but I'm managing just fine.

Not sure what the take away is here, but I guess if you have family here, you need to try it out. It seems that high, dry, dusty, sunny, humid, proximity to farming and pollen doesn't appeal to you. Not sure what's left. How about Hawaii!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
No, just that moving from Calf. to Michigan , for the weather , is a non starter. The other thing is , Upper Mi. IS one of the Nations best places for health, quality of life. Sounds like thats what she is looking for. A lot more people would move here if it were not for the jobs they want. It will always be the way it is here, a delicate balance economically, because of our low population compared to land Mass. Sort of like Wyoming in that regard.
You make a good point, Darstar. Marquette is one of the most highly rated cities for quality of life as well as medical care. And clean air goes without saying. There are always those trade offs - convenience, higher population,traffic, etc., doesn't fly with me compared to clean air, beautiful lakes and forest, down to earth people and, even cheaper gas. I took the less populated, economically poorer, cleaner air and scenery of Alcona County over the lower part of the lower peninsula. Not nearly the choices of shopping nor doctors, but it seems very worth it to me.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
You make a good point, Darstar. Marquette is one of the most highly rated cities for quality of life as well as medical care. And clean air goes without saying. There are always those trade offs - convenience, higher population,traffic, etc., doesn't fly with me compared to clean air, beautiful lakes and forest, down to earth people and, even cheaper gas. I took the less populated, economically poorer, cleaner air and scenery of Alcona County over the lower part of the lower peninsula. Not nearly the choices of shopping nor doctors, but it seems very worth it to me.
Just keeps winning national awards year after year, thats Marquette.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkitten View Post
Hi

I am needing an emergency move from CA back to the East. I can not get a doctor in CA, basically, who can treat my condition. (I wake up almost everyday with a 120-180 HR and can not function for several hours until it lowers) Back East I could get an insurance plan, etc... that would help (NY) I have friends in MI who can just help by being there for us. I have 2 children one is an infant the other is 3. So I need to move where I can get treated, and have a sense of security for my children! MI, or NY are my choices but I know nothing about MI.

My main medical condition is Asthma, and I need a place with lower humidity in the summers. I've heard mid-MI is bad with humidity. I do not know or have anyone who can compare this to upstate NY where I used to live for several years until recent. My friends are in Oakland County, New Lyon area. I am wondering if there is anything in that region or closer to the water, perhaps that has acceptable humidity.

Also, how is the economy? I am self-employed online, so jobs don't matter but the side effects of bad economy like crime, etc... do. I am currently in Sacramento and its terrible here regarding crimes, etc... This is one of the factors why I can't even get a doctor due to how many illegals, etc.. there are hogging them up I don't have pristine insurance options, therefore the doctors are also very poor here and have no one-on-one sense because they are overloaded with immigrants from Mexico. Schools are bad, our neighbors get robbed, cars stolen, hostage situations in our neighborhood, etc... Its all around a nightmare.

I hope someone can discuss MI with me, and help me make a swift decision between MI or going back home to NY. My husband has already started packing us to get out of CA, lol.

Michigan is very humid and as far as the economy...You would probably feel better living in Siberia than Michigan...So not really sure what in god's name could make you feel good about being in MI???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan