Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,528 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a home in michigan after living up here for 2 years and renting.

Home is 6 years old and just went through the inspection. One of the nice selling points was a very very nice kitchen, top of the line kitchenaid appliances and commercial range, etc.

The inspection was relatively painless and no HUGE items were found, but I'm curious what is too nitpicky and what is not. Any help is appreciated.

- Microwave does not work (apparently at all) Scary enough, the inspector did not find this, but the people that are currently renting the home told me while I was there after the inspector left. Replacing it with a similar kitchenaid quality microwave will easily cost 600-1000 dollars, to be honest.

- Stainless fridge has a decent size scratch in the door (we're not talking hairline, definately noticable and gouging into the metal) The new cost of the fridge is around 2k and the replacement door seems to be 500 dollars. (looked online for part costs)

- Damage on one section of gutter near the garage, mostly cosmetic, not really functional, and a busted up downspout from im guessing someone running into it with their car.

- A few holes on the siding from woodpecker damage. Some epoxy seal would fix that right up.

There were a few other things, like some lifted boards on the deck, but not even worth mentioning, I am not going to nitpick a 1 hour fix and 10 dollars in parts, I can do that myself.

So, what would you guys suggest? For the appliance issues, I'd assume that instead of asking to repair, just asking for 1000-1500 to replace + labor costs on my own would be sufficient, but would they balk at that? (FYI, the home is mid 300k range)

As for the gutter, downspout, and woodpecker damage, Im guessing that might be nitpicking too much?

I dont know how this works, someone help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
The gutter and downspout damage - if there's any chance that the water was getting under the roof or into the fascia and soffit then there might be water damage.

Can you get on a ladder by the damaged gutter and poke around the area with a blunt screwdriver?

Or does it seem that the damage to the gutter and downspout was just cosmetic?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,528 times
I am fairly certain it's just cosmetic. I did notice the inspector lifting the roofing material around the gutter that was damaged, so that may be what he was looking for.

As far as the gutter goes, it is just bent in several areas along the run above the garage. THe downspout was just smashed by likely a car. Not enough, however, to hurt flow enough I wouldn't think.

I guess after discussing it with a coworker, I may as well 'aim for the world' and list everything (I mean, not REALLY little things, but the things I discussed above) to be repaired/replaced. It doesn't hurt to ask for it all.

I'm suprised the inspector did not realize the microwave did not work. He seemed fairly detail oriented.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 PM

45 posts, read 95,858 times
You may want to take a close look at the inspection report provided, it might not be part of the inspection (sometimes appliances are not, especially microwave ovens). The most he might be able to tell you is that there was power or no power to it. I think actually heating something in the oven is beyond the scope of their inspection. You can buy a home warranty that would cover unexpected repair costs for appliances, hvac, etc., your real estate agent might be able to suggest something. As far as the other items, they seem pretty minor. It is not a new home, so I guess expect typical maintenance items and repairs. Everything is usually negotiable, unless your buying a foreclosure or "as-is" home. Best of luck with your new home!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I am a little negative on home inspectors.

Most of the time they do not have a clue how to check a water well of do a proper water test.

My most common call is, "we just bought this house and we have no water".

One poor lady did not even have a well, she bought the house with an illegal sand point.

$10,000 later she had a well.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am a little negative on home inspectors.

Most of the time they do not have a clue how to check a water well of do a proper water test.

My most common call is, "we just bought this house and we have no water".

One poor lady did not even have a well, she bought the house with an illegal sand point.

$10,000 later she had a well.
Expensive lesson. I would hire out a separate company to do the well and septic inspection - not a home inspector jmo.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 AM

83 posts, read 185,878 times
From what I understand (bought and sold quite a few homes...), the rule of thumb is that if it's a repair over $1500.00, it is their responsibility to fix. MUST fix, that is.

The other things are at your discretion. You really can't be too nit-picky, the seller isn't going to back out of the deal. I would put all of your bulleted items as things to fix, and they have room to negotiate back and remove some of your list. I can think of two instances when I've purchased homes and, say, asked them to do X,Y, and Z... and they came back saying they'd do X and Z, but not Y. Usually the realtors or lawyers will negotiate and find a middle ground.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfinn View Post
Expensive lesson. I would hire out a separate company to do the well and septic inspection - not a home inspector jmo.
100% agreed!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,736 times
Time to read your contract and understand scope of his inspection.

Most of what you describe may be considered obvious and in plain sight.

Repairs cited seem like a punch list of needed maintenance. A home

inspector is considered a generalist with vast knowledge over many fields.

Certainly if you hire a well driller to inspect your home you will find that he

missed many items that a home inspector would find with little difficulty.

However, that same driller can inspect the well and tell you more than you

would ever want to know about the system. It is not economically feasible

to hire specific contractors for every system in your home and to complete

your due diligence in a timely fashion. It is not unreasonable to call your

home inspector and ask him to review the report and answer any questions

you may have.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 AM

I think it would be "well" worth the extra 100-150 to have a well & septic inspection done separately from the home inspection. Some HI's routinely bring in a company as part of their inspection to review at the same time. One check is cut for the entire inspection, with the inspection company paying the well/septic inspector company directly for their services (rolled into their HI fee). A fee can easily be negotiated between the HI and WI and save their customer's the aggravation of having to set-up multiple people to come out. Same with pest inspections if the HI is not qualified or interested in offering that service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan