Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

The Michigan State Fair, the first of its kind in the United States, now has a more dubious distinction -- the first to go out of business. During a time of year when final preparations are usually being made for the fair, exhibitors and customers are struggling to deal with the loss of a staple of rural life for 160 years.

From The Detroit News: Michiganians struggle with loss of state fair | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20100807/METRO/8070371/Michiganians-struggle-with-loss-of-state-fair#ixzz0xQAoMt56 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM

362 posts, read 696,088 times
"Michiganians struggle with loss of state fair."
Personally I do not believe that statement. For many a trip to the Detroit area to go to a fair just does not work. there are other county fairs thru out Michigan that were and still are much better than the so called state fair way down and over on the South East side of the state.
I would much rather go to the Saginaw County fair or drive to the UP and go to the UPPER Michigan state fair.
The Detroit fair was poorly ran, the traffic to get there sucked and the parking was at best poor.

Al

Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Agree with alleyyooper 100%. Went once while in college in the Detroit area and NEVER had the desire to go back.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,725 times
I think some of you are missing the point. True, there are many well run local country fairs. It is good to hear you are supporting them. However, the state fair, in addition to highlighting Michigan's manufacturing and commercial ventures, also is the culmination of the growing season for Michigan farmers and, more importantly in my opinion, for our young people involved in 4-H. 4-H'ers compete at a local level, those who perfomed well then get a chance to complete against one another at the state level. As a former 4-H coordinator, I am very sad to hear that we will not have a state fair this year, not only because I enjoyed seeing the livestock and quilt displays, but for the opportunities lost to our young people. I had heard that there was an effort to look for private funding, much the way the Hudson's parade was saved from being just a memory.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM

809 posts, read 1,951,337 times
My wife and I did a state fair back in '90 and it was just not worth it. After being to country fairs up north here for most of our lives we just couldnt fathom spending so much for parking, more for the gate and by time we got a snack to bide us over til dinner back at home we'd spent 35.00 (that was alot of money to us 20yrs ago) and we didnt do a thing.

We never went back but at the least we could say we'd been there. And really, the country fairs dotting the beautiful michigan countryside are much better to attend.

I have this sneaking suspicion many others are of the same conclusion.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,724 times
Going to the Fair, going to the fair. Going to the NW Michigan Fair!

and the Emmet/Charlevoix County Fair

Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times
You guys should see what the Minnesota State Fair is like. It's a huge event and has a dedicated campus (complete with a space needle and various rides) in an inner ring suburb next to the University of Minnesota, St. Paul campus.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
The Michigan State fair was supposed to celebrate the rural heritage of the state. Having it located in the urban southeast just did not make sense. I believe now that it has failed there is an opportunity to revive it as a REAL celebration of rural life in Michigan. It should be located in a more rural area. The UP state fair is a great example of what it SHOULD have been all along. Possible locations for a new state fair could be Mt Pleasant, Owosso, Greenville, or if it needs to be closer to a big city, then Lansing. The towns listed above are in the very heart of Michigans agricultural areas, and while they would require southeast Michigan people to drive out at least 100 miles the new fair would truly represent Michigans rural heritage. A new fairground in the center of the state would be nicer, cleaner, safer, and would be more likely to succeed. Good riddence to the ghetto fair, like Detroit itself it was an embarassment to the whole state. Lets move it, start over and make it right. Sounds like a good project for the new Govenor next year.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The Michigan State fair was supposed to celebrate the rural heritage of the state. Having it located in the urban southeast just did not make sense. I believe now that it has failed there is an opportunity to revive it as a REAL celebration of rural life in Michigan. It should be located in a more rural area. The UP state fair is a great example of what it SHOULD have been all along. Possible locations for a new state fair could be Mt Pleasant, Owosso, Greenville, or if it needs to be closer to a big city, then Lansing. The towns listed above are in the very heart of Michigans agricultural areas, and while they would require southeast Michigan people to drive out at least 100 miles the new fair would truly represent Michigans rural heritage. A new fairground in the center of the state would be nicer, cleaner, safer, and would be more likely to succeed. Good riddence to the ghetto fair, like Detroit itself it was an embarassment to the whole state. Lets move it, start over and make it right. Sounds like a good project for the new Govenor next year.

Right on!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Michigan State Fair, the first of its kind in the United States, now has a more dubious distinction -- the first to go out of business. During a time of year when final preparations are usually being made for the fair, exhibitors and customers are struggling to deal with the loss of a staple of rural life for 160 years.

From The Detroit News: Michiganians struggle with loss of state fair | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20100807/METRO/8070371/Michiganians-struggle-with-loss-of-state-fair#ixzz0xQAoMt56 - broken link)
As a livestock (horses and cattle) exhibitor for over 40 years, let me give you my take on the Michigan State Fair. Although in the late 60's and 70's, I exhibited horses all over the United States, the one place that I hated to go was the Michigan State Fairgrounds. When I showed at the breed show there (not the State Fair), it was bad enough. During the State Fair, it was downright unsafe and heartbreaking. Horses were vandalized (tails and manes cut off plus more heinous crimes), equipment stolen, thugs roaming the barns at all hours of the night and day. I simply never took livestock to the State Fair - period. I realize that others did but everyone realized it was at their own risk. There wasn't enough security in the world to protect from the neighborhood locals scaling fences, sneaking in and out, etc. Trainers/owners regularly slept in the stalls with their horses to protect them.

As time went on and conditions only worsened, many of the breed associations petitioned (ie, begged) the state to consider moving the fairgrounds to a more central, country, safer location. There were always reasons why it couldn't be done. The historic significance of the grounds themselves seemed to always be the final reason no one (politicians) would step up and put things in motion. There were and are plenty of suitable venues for this wonderful celebration of rural/farming life outstate. The middle of one of the most dangerous and blighted areas of Wayne County surely isn't one of them.

The final death knell seems to speak for itself. I would bet if this state had any money, or could come up with some from grants or whatever, the Fair would make a comeback. Meanwhile, I can't imagine any serious exhibitors even wanting to consider going back down there, much less just the zillions of people who loved State Fair just to go and have fun as spectators.

I moved to the State of Wyoming in 1990 and discovered a whole new world of livestock exhibition. When livestock assume an importance that rivals auto building in this part of the country, the difference is huge! Sorry i got so long - just wanted to opine from the point of view of one who ended up showing in many different locations including the Michigan State Fairgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan