Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 AM

528 posts, read 885,630 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at temperature info in northern Michigan rather obsessively. Most of what I've found seemed doing research seemed to indicate the hot, humid nasties are mostly in the southern areas, but looking at temperature maps the last few days are making me a bit nervous.

Is it hot and humid all day long? Or do you get cooler morning and evenings? What about microclimates? It seems like in the area we're interested in, the East side of the fingers is cooler than the west, particularly that little line on the east side of Grand Traverse Bay, which seems to get a shade hotter than surrounding areas. Am I on the right track?

How long do the nasty days of summer last? I think someone said this summer is unusually bad....

I can handle a month or two of on and off hot and high humidity, especially if I have some time early mornings and just before dusk to get stuff done. It doesn't last forever.

What cities should I look for in that general northern vicinity to find cool lake breezes and not terrible humidity? Do I need to stay further east and north, like Cheboygan? Alpena? Petoskey maybe?

Trying to narrow our focus a bit as to where to end up.

As an aside, I teach natural childbirth classes... Where are the more... bohemian areas of northern Michigan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
This summer has been miserable (for me at least). I don't deal with heat and humidity very well, but even though it has been rather warm and sticky, there has not been one day that has been bad from daybreak to sunset. The closer you get to the great lakes the greater the effect it will have on the weather. I live about 7 miles as the crow flies to Lake Michigan and as soon as the sun goes down you can feel the temp start to drop. West side is generally better that way due to prevailing winds, but anywhere by the water is nice. I don't remember what area you are coming from, but I can say that after living on the East Coast for almost 20 years, the summers in Michigan are MUCH better (even this one). The heat doesn't hang on long into the evenings like it tends to do in the East.

Traverse City is the first place that comes to mind when you mention "bohemian" but even then it isn't really that fitting for the area. I can't see natural childbirth classes being looked down on or frowned upon anywhere. They are becoming more mainstream and viewed as less "hippy/granola/crunchy/etc..." than in the past.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
If you want low humidity , move on up to the U.P. With both lakes, we get a real break in the temps, and the humidity. Year round also. Not so cold in winter ether, with the snow mostly powder type. The effects of Lake Superior are the most dominate because of the NW prevailing winds. The closer to the Big lake you are , the warmer in winter , the cooler in summer . Why settle for anything less? Its just a few more miles to the Bridge, and to a whole different world.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM

125 posts, read 645,311 times
It can be hit or miss here in Michigan. Last summer we didn't have a summer this summer has been hot and humid. by the lakes is usually cooler.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,306 times
This summer has been extremely humid up there...i just spent four weeks (my summer vacation) in cheboygan...going for day trips to the UP and over to Lake Michigan...the humidity was 80% or higher quite a few of the days and even the nights......
my only relief was when i was on the water, Lake Huron, Mullett Lake, and Lake Michigan....To feel the relief from the water, you'd need to be very close....within a couple miles....the weather seriously changes ALL the time...

my boyfriend (from philadelphia) finds it humorous that when in cheboygan we turn on the weather channel MANY times before deciding to do something....
I think I was there for the 2 most humid weeks of the summer....the humidity is not as bad now......you definitely get cooler mornings and nights!!!!

I don't wear my sweatshirt here in philly in the summer...i LOVE wearing my sweatshirt and jeans at night in cheboygan....(only happened like once or twice when i was home though this summer )

Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
I think August has been a terrible month for heat and humidity. At least in my area. I work in a place where we have a boiler and machines that run over 400 degree's. So when it's hot and humid outside it's much worse at work. We had about 3 bad weeks of hot and humid weather but it sure seemed like it lasted much much longer. If I had to put a time frame on it I'd say it happens end of July to mid to end of August. This last week has been awesome. But that span it was hot from sun up to sun down. Blahhhhhh Like Bydand I don't do heat and humidity very well.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Okay, thanks folks.

I have an autoimmune disease, and heat is my worst enemy. Particularly humid heat. I have increased risk of sudden death so.... yeah, not a popular experience. As long as I sit near an air conditioner, I'm okay. I just hate to be incapacitated for months at a time. Sitting near an air conditioner can be rather limiting! Glad I'm not alone, but JGatti.... whew.... Wish I could send you virtual cookies, or... a personal A/C unit!

Darstar.... you keep pushing all my biggest buttons on the U.P. front! I was seriously thinking about it, but I might still need to get a place in lower Michigan and teach, because there's significant unmet demand on there, and another instructor going to be certified in the U.P. in the next few months. I'm not sure if there is enough demand up there for me to justify taking her spot. I thought about buying a second place to teach, but that would mean crossing the bridge a few times per week (shudders).

Just exactly how long is Mackinac Bridge again anyway (and why on earth does Mackinac bridge not go to Mackinac island? Darn Mike Rowe and Dirty jobs for jumbling the two in my head).?

Is there ever traffic jams on the bridge? I'm okay on bridges, as long as I'm not stuck at a standstill. If I'm stopped.... oh boy. I will need Valium and someone to drive my car over the bridge.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 AM

125 posts, read 645,311 times
the bridge joins upper and lower peninsula and is 5 miles long. There are no cars allowed on the island except for emergency personnel. The island is small and made mainly for walking and bike riding.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Okay, thanks folks.

I have an autoimmune disease, and heat is my worst enemy. Particularly humid heat. I have increased risk of sudden death so.... yeah, not a popular experience. As long as I sit near an air conditioner, I'm okay. I just hate to be incapacitated for months at a time. Sitting near an air conditioner can be rather limiting! Glad I'm not alone, but JGatti.... whew.... Wish I could send you virtual cookies, or... a personal A/C unit!

Darstar.... you keep pushing all my biggest buttons on the U.P. front! I was seriously thinking about it, but I might still need to get a place in lower Michigan and teach, because there's significant unmet demand on there, and another instructor going to be certified in the U.P. in the next few months. I'm not sure if there is enough demand up there for me to justify taking her spot. I thought about buying a second place to teach, but that would mean crossing the bridge a few times per week (shudders).

Just exactly how long is Mackinac Bridge again anyway (and why on earth does Mackinac bridge not go to Mackinac island? Darn Mike Rowe and Dirty jobs for jumbling the two in my head).?

Is there ever traffic jams on the bridge? I'm okay on bridges, as long as I'm not stuck at a standstill. If I'm stopped.... oh boy. I will need Valium and someone to drive my car over the bridge.
Come on now , forget about the Bridge and just come on up to Marquette. Like I said before , the trip around through Chicago to south Michigan is closer than taking the Bridge. There are jobs here, but , teaching in general is not in big demand, especially if you are in a specialty field.
You sound like a person who's health , quality of life , depends a lot on cool weather. I would think that alone should be your driving fource. Harry Truman said it best. " If you can't stand the heat, get out of the Kitchen".
And , by the way , the Mac Bridge is 5 miles long. ( 26,372 ft.). Toll is 3.50 per car. 90.00 will buy a discounted card, 50 crossings I think. There is no charge for having them drive your car across, just use your cell phone.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
the bridge joins upper and lower peninsula and is 5 miles long. There are no cars allowed on the island except for emergency personnel. The island is small and made mainly for walking and bike riding.
FIVE MILES???????????

Oh, jeeeeeeebus. I thought a mile crossing the Columbia was bad. OMG.

What is the speed limit over the bridge? Please tell me it's 110MPH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan