Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why have you left Michigan, or why will you be leaving?
Can't find a job 91 60.26%
Can't stand another Michigan winter 57 37.75%
Can't stand Michigan's political and fiscal mess 50 33.11%
Need a new state to complain about 6 3.97%
Can't stand my surroundings--traffic, people, crime, or other 27 17.88%
Can't live without my family, and they've moved away from Michigan 10 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving away? Already made the big move? Discuss why, where, and how you left or plan to leave Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:21 PM

41 posts, read 38,913 times
And what your driving! Would be interesting to see the amount of people leaving driving rice rides.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
We've already moved. Dh took the buyout with DTE and in his field, there wasn't anything else up in MI. But it was March before he went back to work even then...took that long to get the resumes out and the interviews done. Liz

Old 06-28-2007, 08:36 PM

106 posts, read 535,902 times
There's actually more jobs available than you may think, especially in the IT sector. In fact, EDS has been the largest employer in Oakland County for decades. We've mainly experienced losses in manufacturing jobs, but let's face it: they're never coming back. That is, unless the unions finally decide to be reasonable . Anyway, things are looking up in Michigan, and this time we're actually learning from our mistakes and diversifying our economy. Once we get over the job losses, things will once again pick up.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
NOT in the IT field, but in engineering and a very specific engineering at that. Liz

Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM

29 posts, read 89,124 times
We were in the process of being relocated to Connecticut, and now it looks like we are staying!! I couldn't be happier. There were some nice things about CT, but Michigan is home. The cost of living is so much better and the people are just more friendly.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:51 PM

84 posts, read 364,166 times
Unless I'm missing the levity in all of this, some other reasons to check might be nice to have; such as Health, Job transfer, Traffic/crowds, Family, etc. ...

Old 06-29-2007, 06:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSticks View Post
Unless I'm missing the levity in all of this, some other reasons to check might be nice to have; such as Health, Job transfer, Traffic/crowds, Family, etc. ...
I did add some more reasons at your suggestion. And yes, I'm trying to bring some much needed levity to the forum, and at the same time give people a place to tell their stories.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 66,735 times
We are leaving because my DP got a better paying job in Indiana (doing the samething he already does).
We live in MI, but do everything in OH. He works in OH at the present, and there is a rumor his company is in the start of a buyout anyway (large medical company in MI).
As for people leaving who drive "Rice Burners"... give me abreak! My father worked for FORDS for 40 years (in Dearborn) and all they have given him after retirement is a bunch of Sh**! "Oops we over paid you on your pension, so we are going to take it back from you over the next year & a half!" Even though it was paid to you over a 5 year period! "Yes, it was a mistake on our part, noone put in you SSI paperwork in to our system. Sorry that is just how it goes!" You try and live on $950 amonth! Its hard to find a job when you retire on a medical, because of the company you worked for was, detrimental to your health.
I have always driven a ford as have the rest of my family, now never again! KIA here I come.
Michigan made its mess, let everyone who stays get out of it! Most of my family came here for the auto industry back in the day, from Indiana, now I'm just heading back.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMomDaze View Post
We are leaving because my DP got a better paying job in Indiana (doing the samething he already does).
We live in MI, but do everything in OH. He works in OH at the present, and there is a rumor his company is in the start of a buyout anyway (large medical company in MI).
As for people leaving who drive "Rice Burners"... give me abreak! My father worked for FORDS for 40 years (in Dearborn) and all they have given him after retirement is a bunch of Sh**! "Oops we over paid you on your pension, so we are going to take it back from you over the next year & a half!" Even though it was paid to you over a 5 year period! "Yes, it was a mistake on our part, noone put in you SSI paperwork in to our system. Sorry that is just how it goes!" You try and live on $950 amonth! Its hard to find a job when you retire on a medical, because of the company you worked for was, detrimental to your health.
I have always driven a ford as have the rest of my family, now never again! KIA here I come.
Michigan made its mess, let everyone who stays get out of it! Most of my family came here for the auto industry back in the day, from Indiana, now I'm just heading back.
Nice - so take the job and money, then leave it to others to fix the "problem" that basically gave your family food on the table for decades. I think I speak for many when I say WHEN MI turns it around, please stay away - leach off of a state like IN or NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan