Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why have you left Michigan, or why will you be leaving?
Can't find a job 91 60.26%
Can't stand another Michigan winter 57 37.75%
Can't stand Michigan's political and fiscal mess 50 33.11%
Need a new state to complain about 6 3.97%
Can't stand my surroundings--traffic, people, crime, or other 27 17.88%
Can't live without my family, and they've moved away from Michigan 10 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:04 AM

178 posts, read 701,610 times

Advertisements

I graduated from college in Michigan back in '04 w/ a Bachelors in Graphic Design and the job market is truly awful for anyone in the marketing field.

Businesses here don't pay what you're worth because so many people need jobs they can afford to be cheap. At least when I lived in Chicago back in '05-'06 the companies paid you a somewhat OK salary (30k+).

Because I can't find work here in Michigan *anywhere* - In Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids (ha! Everyone wants to live there so companies are cheap and picky there especially) or Traverse City I'm returning to college to get a Master's Degree next month. I refuse to move into Detroit because of the crime (a big reason why I left Chicago).

Within (2-3) years I hope to be moving out of Michigan permanently and *hopefully* out west, preferably in Arizona or California.

What's crappy about Michigan's situation is that so many people WANT to stay here but companies just don't pay people what they're worth. Because of the inflated wages of blue-collar uneducated workers in the 60s/70s/80s all other industries have suffered because of Michigan's sole focus on Detroit and bringing Auto companies here. Now, because there are so many unemployed people here EVERYONE is grabbing for a degree just so we can all compete for the same $12/hr. jobs w/o benefits.

And let's not forget Michigan has COMPLETELY ignored everything NORTH of Grand Rapids in terms of funding so there's no big city or commercial area in 2/3 of of the friggin' state.

When I leave Michigan, I'll be glad because I'll actually have a decent shot (as someone said) at least of MODEST success.

If you are happy here in Michigan, its because you got lucky in a certain position at a certain company...but even so...I can't imagine why anyone would WANT to make long-term plans here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 PM

34 posts, read 141,733 times
we are considering a move to new orleans. not right away, maybe next spriing. the cost of living is about 25% less than MI. More house for way less money. it's just a thought.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:58 PM

34 posts, read 141,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
You know..... stranger things have happened......

How do you calculate a family of 2 toyotas, 1 honda, 1 chevy truck? The truck uses 20x more gas than all 3 rice burners put together, so does that swing any votes??
i've always wondered if they could really run on rice. i mean, we have suvs that run on corn now, why not. i long for the days when i can trade in my passenger van for a 2 seater whatever. but, with 5 kids, any small car - corn or rice - will not work for us!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM

14 posts, read 81,634 times
It was the property taxes that sealed the deal for us. We simply can't afford to hork over one quarter of our already over taxed income to property taxes.

We are outta here in the next 4 weeks.

I wish I could take my house, but there are other houses in other states to be found that won't drain our savings every year.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM

293 posts, read 849,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
I graduated from college in Michigan back in '04 w/ a Bachelors in Graphic Design and the job market is truly awful for anyone in the marketing field.

Businesses here don't pay what you're worth because so many people need jobs they can afford to be cheap. At least when I lived in Chicago back in '05-'06 the companies paid you a somewhat OK salary (30k+).

What's crappy about Michigan's situation is that so many people WANT to stay here but companies just don't pay people what they're worth. Because of the inflated wages of blue-collar uneducated workers in the 60s/70s/80s all other industries have suffered because of Michigan's sole focus on Detroit and bringing Auto companies here. Now, because there are so many unemployed people here EVERYONE is grabbing for a degree just so we can all compete for the same $12/hr. jobs w/o benefits.
Yes, this is exactly what I am finding as well! I returned to college after having kids and just got my degree, graduated magna c um laude. I cannot find a good job - or any job, for that matter. I've even applied at retail places with "help wanted signs" like Old Navy and Starbucks (just because I need work) and was told by people I know who work there that I won't get hired because I'm over-qualified. My sister got her degree in accounting last year - supposedly one of the hottest, most in-demand fields - and her job is pretty close to that $12/hr job w/o benefits. And it still took her several months to find even that.

And now MI's state universities are having to raise their tuition for this fall to the tune of about 10 percent, because the state funding fell through. How is it going to help this state to make college education even *less* affordable? But then again, since many college graduates have to leave the state to find work, I guess it doesn't benefit the state much for there to be more of us graduates anyway...

BTW, I would consider looking for jobs now in other states rather than going for your master's...I am in the writing end of the publishing business (freelance) and can tell you that graphic design is in demand in certain locales without a master's, you just have to be in the right place. I'm applying for lots of jobs out of state at the moment myself, hoping I can get one and move before my kids start a new school year.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 AM

14 posts, read 51,158 times
I'd be curious to know if the age of any of the job seekers in Michigan is a factor. I ask because my husband, with over 30 years experience in the manufacturing (auto related, teir one supliers), he was a Quality Manager and a Plant Manager for 2 very large companies lost his job over a year ago when they downsized because of the dramactic circumstances of Michigan's auto industry. He is in his mid fifties, with no degree, however he has trained his assistants that had quality engineer and business degrees, (college doesn't always teach you the practical things you need to know)

At any rate, he has had interviews, sometimes even 2nd interviews, but no job offers. He has not snubbed the jobs that pay a whole lot less than they should either. It seems pretty apparent that we "older" job seekers are being weeded out completely. And as we are apart of that large baby boomer population there are a lot of us out there.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 PM

293 posts, read 849,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillibette View Post
I'd be curious to know if the age of any of the job seekers in Michigan is a factor. I ask because my husband, with over 30 years experience in the manufacturing (auto related, teir one supliers), he was a Quality Manager and a Plant Manager for 2 very large companies lost his job over a year ago when they downsized because of the dramactic circumstances of Michigan's auto industry. He is in his mid fifties, with no degree, however he has trained his assistants that had quality engineer and business degrees, (college doesn't always teach you the practical things you need to know)

At any rate, he has had interviews, sometimes even 2nd interviews, but no job offers. He has not snubbed the jobs that pay a whole lot less than they should either. It seems pretty apparent that we "older" job seekers are being weeded out completely. And as we are apart of that large baby boomer population there are a lot of us out there.
My husband and I are in our early to mid-30s. I know lots of people in my age range also having trouble finding work.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:08 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
I graduated from a graduate program at UM in 2007. I left immediately, because there were no competetive jobs in my field in Michigan. Even though I enjoyed Ann Arbor, I have no plans to return. I just don't think it is economically realistic. Also, I get the sensation that public services (schools, roads, etc.) are going to take a dive soon, due to the state's budget crisis.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:19 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
My daughter and her boyfriend could not find full time work, left for AL...both very early 20's. My husband, late 40's...found a job here in NC. I don't think age seems to really matter much, cutting across the board. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 03:19 PM

18 posts, read 47,914 times
I can't wait to leave MI! I have lived here all my life and for as long as I can remember I've wanted to leave. I made a choice to stay here because (unlike now), I was offered two teaching positions right after my internship (7 years ago)! Then "life" settled in - got married, had a child, got used to job security, etc. However, my desire to leave now is greater than ever. All of my college friends have left the state (some tried to stay, but could not find jobs in their fields), out of two sisters, 1 moved to Atlanta last year for a long-awaited Marketing job (with Starbucks; BTW since she's been there I know of 4 other Michiganders that moved their) and the other is planning on moving as soon as she finishes her 2 year commitment to the hospital that paid half of her nursing degree (possibly one of the few "hot" careers still left here). We fear my husbands job (in the auto industry) will not last too many more years, and quite honestly, I think my son will have more opportunities in places with diverse industries (The only industries in our city are teaching and small health care facilities; oh and hair salons!). I think the overall quality of life in Michigan is poor in comparison to many of the places my friends and family have relocated to. I know that many people want to stay here (I see it all the time with intern and sub teachers who refuse to leave and instead continue to interview for rare teaching jobs with 500 other applicants), and I wish them luck, but for me, Michigan doesn't cut it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan