Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why have you left Michigan, or why will you be leaving?
Can't find a job 91 60.26%
Can't stand another Michigan winter 57 37.75%
Can't stand Michigan's political and fiscal mess 50 33.11%
Need a new state to complain about 6 3.97%
Can't stand my surroundings--traffic, people, crime, or other 27 17.88%
Can't live without my family, and they've moved away from Michigan 10 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 37,915 times

Advertisements

[quote=Sijuki;1199028]

You got that right Sijuki, blame game, union fraud, special interests, it is all crap, and we the tax payers are going down with the ship. Everyone should write, e-mail, call their reps, this is all crap and we shouldn't take it lying down. I don't want to leave but I have no other choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,027 times
Default Forego Opportunity?

I guess I do not understand the thinking that says one should stay in Michigan even when there are better opportunities elsewhere. Should people who have jobs stay here simply to continue to fund a wealth redistribution scheme?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 AM

282 posts, read 1,168,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Thinking about moving away? Already made the big move? Discuss why, where, and how you left or plan to leave Michigan.
I'm leaving. I've had to come back here twice. This state is dieing if it isn't dead already. My parents passed this year and I have legal issues to deal with. Granholm is a F ing moron. See ya.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,577 times
southernlady -- are you a grit?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Quote:
southernlady -- are you a grit?
Yes, I am...G.R. I. T. S.

Girl Raised In The South. Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
I sat here and read most of the posts, I have to say that with the job market so bad, I feel for everyone. But if you have ever been self employed and run your own business, let me tell you it's getting harder to make the ends meet anymore. I have been in construction for 27 years and these past two years have been far worst then any year. I have had to take out loans from my Home and personal loans just so we could make it thur the winters, Our business has seen a down turn like no other before, and when I talk with my customer who are Bankers and Lawyers and Realtors and they tell me we are going down fast and won't come back for years, I believe the move out west is going to happen this year, I have talked with some people and they tell me that with what I do Plastering(frankawitz.net) I could make some real good money, so now I have to decide how to make this move with little cash on hand, after 22 years in business it gonna be hard to start all over or I'll have to go to work for somebody else. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope for the best to all of you who stay. Hope someone can keep the light on, Cause I plan on keeping my house just have to board it up cause I'm sure the neighbors would steal anything they could out of it. Take Care. West ward Oh!!
WEll before you move out west talk to realtors nothing is moving in Las Vegas area, Idaho, Oregon don't know about others.
Good Luck

Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 PM

121 posts, read 546,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
WEll before you move out west talk to realtors nothing is moving in Las Vegas area, Idaho, Oregon don't know about others.
Good Luck
Nothing moving in Arizona, either. Highest rate of foreclosures in the country.

My dad owns a constructions business in Michgan and has for 25 years. Times are tough but he has 2 jobs. My mom just wants to get through 8 more years til their new house is totally paid off. Then they can enjoy their two Michigan homes and pure beauty of the state!

Until then, I'm looking for a place in Arizona for them to consider moving to...

Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 PM

16 posts, read 37,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
I sat here and read most of the posts, I have to say that with the job market so bad, I feel for everyone. But if you have ever been self employed and run your own business, let me tell you it's getting harder to make the ends meet anymore. I have been in construction for 27 years and these past two years have been far worst then any year. I have had to take out loans from my Home and personal loans just so we could make it thur the winters, Our business has seen a down turn like no other before, and when I talk with my customer who are Bankers and Lawyers and Realtors and they tell me we are going down fast and won't come back for years, I believe the move out west is going to happen this year, I have talked with some people and they tell me that with what I do Plastering(frankawitz.net) I could make some real good money, so now I have to decide how to make this move with little cash on hand, after 22 years in business it gonna be hard to start all over or I'll have to go to work for somebody else. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope for the best to all of you who stay. Hope someone can keep the light on, Cause I plan on keeping my house just have to board it up cause I'm sure the neighbors would steal anything they could out of it. Take Care. West ward Oh!!
I know the feeling Frankawitz, we had a successful framing business for the past 11 years, then the union came a knock'n, we made a bad mistake to save our company from the economic down turn, and now the union has drove us out of business and is suing us (for what I don't know). I don't want to be in business here ever again, you can't make ends meet, everybody has their hands in your pockets.

Good luck to you, look south too, that is where we are headed!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:34 PM

47 posts, read 121,904 times
I left Michigan 3 years ago due to my job going away. It was a very hard move for me, we packed up and took another job with my company in wisconsin, The cost of living here is considerbly cheaper. homes are 41 percent cheaper and auto insurance WOW extremly cheap. I miss Michigan friends and family there. But i dont miss the cost of living thats for shure. Again i am following my job to south carolina. I really have no desire to go back to michigan, But as long as i have been gone i never really feel home

Old 09-02-2007, 09:47 AM

9 posts, read 27,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrannie View Post
My husband and I were born and raised here. He is leaving this month for TN to build houses.

Do we want this??? NO...but the politics and how the legislators and the Gov. want to tax the crap out of us all makes me sick.

I will never own a business in this State again unless they revamp the tax structures and get rid of unions. TN is very business friendly, and they let you keep the money you earn.
I can't argue that Michigan is in a lot of trouble and most of it is based on it having traditionally been a one industry state. However, I wonder just how familiar you are with Tennessee? I was born in S.W. Virginia about 20 miles from the Tenneessee line. Parents moved to Michigan when I was 10 (late 1950s) because the economy in Appalachia offered no hope. I graduated high school in 1965 and after service and college left the state to return to the hills in northeast Tennessee. I've been here for 30 years. Yes, things are better than in Michigan, but I can guarantee you that the politics are just as Byzantine and are intensified by the fact that this state is really 3 states, the three "Grand Divisions" as represented by our state flag. Seven years ago the state was almost bankrupt, was losing jobs and laying off state employees. That turned around, but the wages are still low for most of the state. I hope that your husband is working in or around Davidison county (Nashville) or the Murpfreesboro area if you want a chance at a decent job yourself. Also, I have oversight of a buisness incubator and our clients that come in from out of state have not found the business climate all that welcoming - especially if you need some financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan