Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times

Advertisements

Hello, we've looked for the better part of 2 yrs for a place to relocate and call home and after all this Marquette is our first choice. We will be driving up soon from Florida to check it out and I need advice on a good route. So, if coming from Florida, should we take I-75 to the U.P. and get off by the Soo on to M-28 and go west on M-28/41 into Marquette; or I-75 to U.P. and then take U.S.2(route 2?) to U.S.41 into Marquette? Or finally, should we forget I-75 and go up through WI since we want to eventually look aroound WI too? If that, then what's the best route through WI into the U.P. and Marquette. Also, how safe are these routes for two women? How desolate and remote are they? Will we be able to get cell phone reception? We are going in the Fall and of course want to see the surroundings but I figure any route would provide that and we just don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere for days if we break down and my mom always worries about crime(35+yrs in S. Fla. will do that, lol). Thank you so very much, I truly appreciate any/all help or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 PM

351 posts, read 797,202 times
I would recommend 75 north to Chattanooga then 24 to Nashville then 65 to Chicago then go through Wisconsin. It is quicker as you are also heading westward too. Detroit is 8 hours from Marquette. Chicago is about 6.5 hrs. The best route from Wisc to Marquette is 94 from Chi to Milwaukee then 43 north to Green Bay. I like to take 41 north from Green Bay to Menominee and 35 to Escanaba then u.s. 41 north to Marquette. This Wisc/ U.P. route has the most four lanes and passing lanes. My wife travels for work sometimes to Wisc and Chi and always feels safe. This Wisc/ U.P. path always keeps you within an hour of a decent size town. Get up here before all the leaves fall. Enjoy!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Hello, we've looked for the better part of 2 yrs for a place to relocate and call home and after all this Marquette is our first choice. We will be driving up soon from Florida to check it out and I need advice on a good route. So, if coming from Florida, should we take I-75 to the U.P. and get off by the Soo on to M-28 and go west on M-28/41 into Marquette; or I-75 to U.P. and then take U.S.2(route 2?) to U.S.41 into Marquette? Or finally, should we forget I-75 and go up through WI since we want to eventually look aroound WI too? If that, then what's the best route through WI into the U.P. and Marquette. Also, how safe are these routes for two women? How desolate and remote are they? Will we be able to get cell phone reception? We are going in the Fall and of course want to see the surroundings but I figure any route would provide that and we just don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere for days if we break down and my mom always worries about crime(35+yrs in S. Fla. will do that, lol). Thank you so very much, I truly appreciate any/all help or advice.
Good for you , what was the reason you picked Marquette ? Ok, I sugest , take I-75, cross the Mac Bridge then take US 2 west to M 77 north to M28 then west to Marquette.You can save time and not have to go through Detroit by taking US 23 around Toledo and then connect to I-75 again at Flint. Wisconsin routes are fine also- I-94 to I-43 to US 41. All routes good roads, safe , an cell service should be fine all the way. You could go up one way and back the other.
Hurry up , we are having full fall color this week. Next week-end will be the end of our full tree color season. This week will be the best, tomorrow and Sunday are tops weather wise. not sure yet about next week-end. The Wisconsin routes will be more populated and you will be going through Chicago, Milwwaukee, and Green Bay. from the Bridge to Marquette there may be some gaps in cell service, but the roads are wide open ( 55mph limit), in fine condition. More interstate in Wisconsin, and more construction.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Good for you , what was the reason you picked Marquette ? Ok, I sugest , take I-75, cross the Mac Bridge then take US 2 west to M 77 north to M28 then west to Marquette.You can save time and not have to go through Detroit by taking US 23 around Toledo and then connect to I-75 again at Flint. Wisconsin routes are fine also- I-94 to I-43 to US 41. All routes good roads, safe , an cell service should be fine all the way. You could go up one way and back the other.
Hurry up , we are having full fall color this week. Next week-end will be the end of our full tree color season. This week will be the best, tomorrow and Sunday are tops weather wise. not sure yet about next week-end. The Wisconsin routes will be more populated and you will be going through Chicago, Milwwaukee, and Green Bay. from the Bridge to Marquette there may be some gaps in cell service, but the roads are wide open ( 55mph limit), in fine condition. More interstate in Wisconsin, and more construction.
This is the route we took, and the one I was gonna suggest.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
I would recommend 75 north to Chattanooga then 24 to Nashville then 65 to Chicago then go through Wisconsin. It is quicker as you are also heading westward too. Detroit is 8 hours from Marquette. Chicago is about 6.5 hrs. The best route from Wisc to Marquette is 94 from Chi to Milwaukee then 43 north to Green Bay. I like to take 41 north from Green Bay to Menominee and 35 to Escanaba then u.s. 41 north to Marquette. This Wisc/ U.P. route has the most four lanes and passing lanes. My wife travels for work sometimes to Wisc and Chi and always feels safe. This Wisc/ U.P. path always keeps you within an hour of a decent size town. Get up here before all the leaves fall. Enjoy!
I always take 35 also, as it goes along lake Michigan shore. Going around Chicaqgo , take I-294. sone folks don't want the traffic however around Chicago.... I always took I-75 to S.side of Cincinnatti , then 74 to Indy to I-80 west to !-294 and back to I-94 n. of Chicago. better route, newer highway.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
This is the route we took, and the one I was gonna suggest.
Its snowing on my mountiantop right now, eat your heart out !!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times
As soon as you cross into Illinois, be sure to take 294 and avoid Chicago, unless you want to visit Chicago.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its snowing on my mountiantop right now, eat your heart out !!
No way! I love snow, but a bit too early for me..lol!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
Thanks again for all the great, detailed responses! I'm SO excited about our move. I'm a Fla. native and I really can't stand Fla, esp. S. Fla, anymore. There's no seasonal change unless you count the few wks it drops below 75 degrees, little to no nature unless you venture to the Everglades, and the rampant overdevelopment, constant cement, and sprawl, and crime is awful. So Marquette really seems like heaven compared.

I'd been looking for some place drastically different- New Hampshire, Alaska, Upstate N.Y., or Northern MN. After months and months of resesrch, I narrowed down the list and discovered the U.P. The more I looked at Maquette, the better it felt so now we are at Marquette as our first choice followed by Appleton, WI as a distant second to check out. Also, we are renting out our home down here and will be renting in Marquette for the first year just in case something, like mom's arthritis, doesn't work out. We will be moving this time next year, and hoping to look soon but we are reluctant to go in Winter. Thanks again and as the move comes closer I will definitely keep you posted and share my excitement cause I feel like a kid on Christmas since I will be experiencing so many new things like my first Fall and Spring. I've never seen a deer, chipmunk, bear, or much of any wildlife except gators, lol.

One last thing, we are hoping to find a small house, condo if the house idea falls through but realator.com(sp?) isn't giving us many reasonable choices in Marquette. What surrounding towns do you recommend as a more affordable option? Trowbridge Pk? Ishpeming? Others? Thanks!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Thanks again for all the great, detailed responses! I'm SO excited about our move. I'm a Fla. native and I really can't stand Fla, esp. S. Fla, anymore. There's no seasonal change unless you count the few wks it drops below 75 degrees, little to no nature unless you venture to the Everglades, and the rampant overdevelopment, constant cement, and sprawl, and crime is awful. So Marquette really seems like heaven compared.

I'd been looking for some place drastically different- New Hampshire, Alaska, Upstate N.Y., or Northern MN. After months and months of resesrch, I narrowed down the list and discovered the U.P. The more I looked at Maquette, the better it felt so now we are at Marquette as our first choice followed by Appleton, WI as a distant second to check out. Also, we are renting out our home down here and will be renting in Marquette for the first year just in case something, like mom's arthritis, doesn't work out. We will be moving this time next year, and hoping to look soon but we are reluctant to go in Winter. Thanks again and as the move comes closer I will definitely keep you posted and share my excitement cause I feel like a kid on Christmas since I will be experiencing so many new things like my first Fall and Spring. I've never seen a deer, chipmunk, bear, or much of any wildlife except gators, lol.

One last thing, we are hoping to find a small house, condo if the house idea falls through but realator.com(sp?) isn't giving us many reasonable choices in Marquette. What surrounding towns do you recommend as a more affordable option? Trowbridge Pk? Ishpeming? Others? Thanks!
Great choice on Marquette by the way! We visited this summer and absolutely fell in love! It is just amazing up there...the beauty is just incredible, and the city of Marquette is fantastic and very modern, yet the older parts are very nice. It has everything you need, and then go just a mile or so and your in some of the best wilderness around. The only thing that is a bit scary is the length of the snowy season. I love the snow, but it can be a very long winter up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan