Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:50 AM

8 posts, read 37,790 times

Advertisements

I asked about St Joseph because I thought it would be a quiet town and however, I only received one reply. I need more input. I thought MT was going to be a good relocation but, studies show that Meth is running rampid in that state. Now, out of all of the residents in MI there has to be someone that could recommend something or at least give suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
What exactly are you looking for? (Rural, close to shopping, suburban, small/medium/large town, weather, etc...) There are a lot of nice towns all over Michigan.

Meth is a problem in a lot of states (I'd be willing to bet that it's a problem in nearly all of them). I was considering moving to Florida, but people tried to talk me out of it since there are a lot of drug problems. But, it can't be any worse than here, since we have a fair share in my area. Not the town I live in, but nearby Flint. There is a local radio station that has a commercial something like "broadcasting from Flint, MI, where even meth labs are outsourced." When I heard that the first time, I thought about it, and decided leaving MI is the right choice for me. It was too close to reality. (I do WANT to stay in MI, and hope to return, but our economy is too stagnant, especially for recent college grads.)

Old 07-03-2007, 07:28 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom4me View Post
I asked about St Joseph because I thought it would be a quiet town and however, I only received one reply. I need more input. I thought MT was going to be a good relocation but, studies show that Meth is running rampid in that state. Now, out of all of the residents in MI there has to be someone that could recommend something or at least give suggestions.
Well, freedom, we really need more info on what you want. Big city, small town, really small town, suburbs, the UP, northern lower peninsula, southern part of the state, along the lakes, farm country...?????

Old 07-03-2007, 05:18 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom4me View Post
I thought MT was going to be a good relocation but, studies show that Meth is running rampid in that state.
Meth is running rampid EVERYWHERE... I don't think I would base a moving decision on that factor because it is a sore topic in every state that has any sort of rural living.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 AM

14 posts, read 49,605 times
st joseph is beautiful. however, MI's poorest city Benton Harbor in less than 20 mi. away and has a very high crime rate. (Whirlpool pulled out some years ago, and left the entire community without jobs in Benton Harbor) Have you gone to the main city-data page and looked through MI cities. All the stats are there. The smaller cities outside of the bigger ones are always better than the large cities. Bay City is great. Right on the Bay. All the small towns along Superior are beautiful, but get the worst of MI winters..

Old 07-04-2007, 12:54 AM

14 posts, read 49,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
What exactly are you looking for? (Rural, close to shopping, suburban, small/medium/large town, weather, etc...) There are a lot of nice towns all over Michigan.

Meth is a problem in a lot of states (I'd be willing to bet that it's a problem in nearly all of them). I was considering moving to Florida, but people tried to talk me out of it since there are a lot of drug problems. But, it can't be any worse than here, since we have a fair share in my area. Not the town I live in, but nearby Flint. There is a local radio station that has a commercial something like "broadcasting from Flint, MI, where even meth labs are outsourced." When I heard that the first time, I thought about it, and decided leaving MI is the right choice for me. It was too close to reality. (I do WANT to stay in MI, and hope to return, but our economy is too stagnant, especially for recent college grads.)
this is soooo funny.. thier commercials are the only thing that makes me laugh at this sorry place! "bringing back flint, one dort hwy hooker at a time" that ones my fav..

Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 AM

195 posts, read 1,079,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misucks View Post
st joseph is beautiful. however, MI's poorest city Benton Harbor in less than 20 mi. away and has a very high crime rate. (Whirlpool pulled out some years ago, and left the entire community without jobs in Benton Harbor) Have you gone to the main city-data page and looked through MI cities. All the stats are there. The smaller cities outside of the bigger ones are always better than the large cities. Bay City is great. Right on the Bay. All the small towns along Superior are beautiful, but get the worst of MI winters..
Less than 20 miles away?????? Its right across the river.. It borders St. Joeseph. Guess your wrong about that.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misucks View Post
That's not true. Whirlpool still employs close to 3000 people in the St. Joe/Benton Harbor area, and just last year moved about 300 Maytag jobs to the area after they bought them out.

Whirlpool Chooses Michigan for Integration of Maytag Headquarters Offices

Whirlpool is also helping to develop a large tract of brownfield area in Benton Harbor into a residential and tourist community, including an Arnold Palmer signature golf course.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...LmLwu8CEzntqxw

Just in case you hadn't heard the latest..

Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 PM

136 posts, read 620,891 times
I read a book recently, called I think A Tale of Two Towns, which contrasted St. Joseph and Benton Harbor and particularly the issues of Benton Harbor, which is very poor, and run down. By contrast, St. Joseph is white bread and affluent. According to that book, the river and the bridge between the towns is more like a wall and a moat, with little spill over between the communities. I agree, meth is a national problem, with rural areas being where it is felt most. But if I were looking on that side of the State, I'd consider South Haven over St. Joseph.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:21 PM

195 posts, read 1,079,885 times
I think the book is called "The Other Side of the River" yes the towns are quite seperate even though they are right next to each other. Its sorta like Detroit and it's suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan