Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:59 PM

15 posts, read 72,610 times

Advertisements

I live north of tampa and I visited my cousin for 2 weeks that goes to michigan state university and he was trying to talk me into moving here. All I noticed was a ton of artificial people. We went to the pool at chandler cross village and all these people talk about is how much money they make. I've never seen anything like it. People all wake up in this town around 11 am - 2 pm and then they set up for the next big party. Nobody works a legit job around that place. People literally party 6 nights a week in this town. I think the people are the most artifical people I have ever seen, the types that are fake friends and will be nice to your face but will stab you in the back. Everyone i talked to in the clubs said you basically had to in a really strong network, rich, or an athlete to have a girlfriend in that town. I think its crazy how these people run around with all this money and they dont have jobs or anything. One girl told me she graduated two years ago and just parties there and hasnt decided what to do with her life. I swear, coming from tampa, we have a lot of lazy people, and some people that dont work, but people generally work there. Here all I see is a bunch of hand-me-downs, fakes, and people living off their mom and dads. How can there all be all these people in their late 20s running around the bars everynight and either working minimum wage part time jobs or having no jobs? My cousin told me almost everyone in the town has long money and are from Oakland County (kids of CEOs) and wealthy areas of Chicago. I see people driving around land rovers, bmws, mercedes, jaguars, and tons of other fancy rides that look to be 18 or 20 years old. I am definitely not going to move here but I wanted to know what everyone else thought of this area in this so-called 'broke' (yeah..whatever) state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 AM

136 posts, read 620,891 times
I haven't been to East Lansing in a while, but it seems to me that you are painting with a pretty broad brush in your sweeping statements about its residents. Surely you must have noticed some academic types carrying their books near campus? Not all people are partiers and it might be that your experience was not representative of the town as a whole. You'll find plenty of partiers in East Lansing, I'm sure, but don't judge a town by a few. You say you don't plan on moving there, so why slam the place?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:04 AM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
Exclamation Don't make judgements about the state based on a couple kids up at Chandler's Crossing

First, and foremost, Chandlers is a joke in itself. The whole complex sprung up from the ground over night a couple years ago. "Real" students do not live there; it is mostly made up of those that do have old $$, trust funds, or mom n dad cuttin' the checks. The real students either live on campus (within walking distance of class because they don't have cars), or are too busy working their tall ends off so that they can afford to be in class (and can't do much, if any, partying). My sister worked 2 PT jobs throughout her FT class load at MSU. She did graduate with 2 BAs and a specialization (just a few credits shy of a 3rd BA) in James Madison College, and on her last year, she worked her PT job and did an unpaid internship at the office that later hired her upon graduating. I have another friend who is currently attending MSU that is focusing on her MA and doctorate, and she easily spends 18 hrs each day on campus. My brother just graduated from MSU's James Madison - and yes, he did party some - but, he mostly focused on getting through school, working his job, and surviving (with me taking him grocery shopping every so often because he didn't have enough $ to eat).

Just because school kids come from families with money doesn't mean the state has money in the bank. To make that kind of statement is naive and silly. I have no idea why they'd even want to stick around MSU for the "party" scene... it is made up of too many freshman and no good bars or clubs to even attend. EL/Lansing is a joke for the nightlife ... there is pratically nothing around! The main live music venue shut down about 9 months ago, and campus area lost the Dollar (formerly known as the dirty dollar) like a year ago. There are only a small handful of other bars, but nothing that is truly *great* for a nightlife.

As a student, I personally wouldn't consider MSU unless I was doing a specialization such as James Madison. The class sizes are too big, tuition too high, and quality of education just isn't there. And, to add to it, the cost of living in the area is fairly high and there are no jobs to be worked, either in the service sector or white collar, because the economy is depressed. I've grown up and spent my whole life, until recently, living only minutes from campus.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
MSU has a student body of about 40,000, so be careful about generalizing from a small sample. It's a land-grant university, and it serves a broad cross-section of the state's population. You will find a lot of auto executives' kids who don't take education seriously, couldn't get into UM, and who are there mainly to party on their parents' dime, but you will also find many hard-working 1st-generation college students and a few smart kids who haven't found themselves yet.

Public education in Michigan has indeed gotten too expensive. People gripe about Granholm, but it's Mike Bishop and the Republicans in the Senate who saw to it that the universities were the big losers in this years' budget battle. People need to wake up and realize that we need to invest in our people, and that's going to require more revenue. The fairest way to do this would be a progressive income tax--despite the state's woes, we do, in fact, have a fair number of wealthy people who can afford to indulge the whims of their spoiled children in the manner described by the OP, and it's time they paid their fair share. That would require a constitutional amendment, but it could be done.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny727 View Post
I live north of tampa and I visited my cousin for 2 weeks that goes to michigan state university and he was trying to talk me into moving here. All I noticed was a ton of artificial people. We went to the pool at chandler cross village and all these people talk about is how much money they make. I've never seen anything like it. People all wake up in this town around 11 am - 2 pm and then they set up for the next big party. Nobody works a legit job around that place. People literally party 6 nights a week in this town. I think the people are the most artifical people I have ever seen, the types that are fake friends and will be nice to your face but will stab you in the back. Everyone i talked to in the clubs said you basically had to in a really strong network, rich, or an athlete to have a girlfriend in that town. I think its crazy how these people run around with all this money and they dont have jobs or anything. One girl told me she graduated two years ago and just parties there and hasnt decided what to do with her life. I swear, coming from tampa, we have a lot of lazy people, and some people that dont work, but people generally work there. Here all I see is a bunch of hand-me-downs, fakes, and people living off their mom and dads. How can there all be all these people in their late 20s running around the bars everynight and either working minimum wage part time jobs or having no jobs? My cousin told me almost everyone in the town has long money and are from Oakland County (kids of CEOs) and wealthy areas of Chicago. I see people driving around land rovers, bmws, mercedes, jaguars, and tons of other fancy rides that look to be 18 or 20 years old. I am definitely not going to move here but I wanted to know what everyone else thought of this area in this so-called 'broke' (yeah..whatever) state?

First of all, you are in a college town, of course there's money & pretentiousness...why wouldn't there be?

I went to school there from 1980 to 1985...yes, it can be one big party...plus schools out for summer right now...summer term has probably begun & I can't understand what you think people do in a college town....get over it!

MSU has some fine programs and has really come a long way since my days...

In college, you get connected...fraternities, sorrorities, Beal Street Dogs...you name it....

East Lansing has never been broke, read your history book!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 72,610 times
Quote:
Just because school kids come from families with money doesn't mean the state has money in the bank. To make that kind of statement is naive and silly. I have no idea why they'd even want to stick around MSU for the "party" scene... it is made up of too many freshman and no good bars or clubs to even attend. EL/Lansing is a joke for the nightlife ... there is pratically nothing around! The main live music venue shut down about 9 months ago, and campus area lost the Dollar (formerly known as the dirty dollar) like a year ago. There are only a small handful of other bars, but nothing that is truly *great* for a nightlife.
Most everyone in that city comes from money. My cousin told me he pays around $9000 a semester to go to MSU. I don't know what bar scene you are looking at but we went to Maggies on Mondays (packed outdoor patio with a DJ), PTs on Tuesdays (slam packed until 2 am), Harpers and Ricks on Wednesdays (both slam packed until 2 am), Lansing Lugnuts Thirsty Thursday (basically saw all the people that go to Ricks and the bar crowd was here), and The Firm on Friday, and some huge house party on Saturday night and add to that a few trips to the pool at Chandlers where people were bonging beers on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon and sitting in the hottub talking about how they just woke up at 1-2pm. Add to that we went to a couple house parties after we left the bars. Damn...I can see why my cousin loves living there that's all they do is party 24/7. Most of the people in his group don't work jobs and the few that do work part-time (i.e. one works at the bar, one works at the tanning place, and two work for fun at a weight lifting center). These are people with degrees in their late 20's working part-time jobs and driving around nice rides. One of his friends had a $250,000 lambo up at the pool. I've never seen anything like it. Do these people at Chandler's Crossing have money trees that grow in their backyards? All his friends were talking about is how they were going to drag their boats and jet skis out. I can't count how many times I heard "I got this, and I got that..." I couldnt afford to live like that because I have to work for my money and I don't get why these people all post about people being broke in Michigan and losing everything. Just go look at East Lansing for a week and tell me those people are broke. Down in Florida there are bums everywhere on the corners of highway 19. I don't think people in EL know what broke is. If you are loaded, like to brag about how much money you got, and want to party a couple years of your life away and have some huge event everynight, then by all means go to Chandlers Crossing in East Lansing. If you like to have a real job, wake up in the morning, and make a living the honest way, then stay away from that area because there are little to no high paying jobs and you will feel out of place with all the people driving luxery vehicles and bragging about what they got. I'm just surprised at the way people throw money around there in a "broke" state.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
Default Again, naive statements....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny727 View Post
Most everyone in that city comes from money. My cousin told me he pays around $9000 a semester to go to MSU. I don't know what bar scene you are looking at but we went to Maggies on Mondays (packed outdoor patio with a DJ), PTs on Tuesdays (slam packed until 2 am), Harpers and Ricks on Wednesdays (both slam packed until 2 am), Lansing Lugnuts Thirsty Thursday (basically saw all the people that go to Ricks and the bar crowd was here), and The Firm on Friday, and some huge house party on Saturday night and add to that a few trips to the pool at Chandlers where people were bonging beers on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon and sitting in the hottub talking about how they just woke up at 1-2pm. Add to that we went to a couple house parties after we left the bars. Damn...I can see why my cousin loves living there that's all they do is party 24/7. Most of the people in his group don't work jobs and the few that do work part-time (i.e. one works at the bar, one works at the tanning place, and two work for fun at a weight lifting center). These are people with degrees in their late 20's working part-time jobs and driving around nice rides. One of his friends had a $250,000 lambo up at the pool. I've never seen anything like it. Do these people at Chandler's Crossing have money trees that grow in their backyards? All his friends were talking about is how they were going to drag their boats and jet skis out. I can't count how many times I heard "I got this, and I got that..." I couldnt afford to live like that because I have to work for my money and I don't get why these people all post about people being broke in Michigan and losing everything. Just go look at East Lansing for a week and tell me those people are broke. Down in Florida there are bums everywhere on the corners of highway 19. I don't think people in EL know what broke is. If you are loaded, like to brag about how much money you got, and want to party a couple years of your life away and have some huge event everynight, then by all means go to Chandlers Crossing in East Lansing. If you like to have a real job, wake up in the morning, and make a living the honest way, then stay away from that area because there are little to no high paying jobs and you will feel out of place with all the people driving luxery vehicles and bragging about what they got. I'm just surprised at the way people throw money around there in a "broke" state.
No, not **EVERYONE** in EL has $$. I can think of many, MANY former or current students that DON'T have $$ but LIVE in EL. And, again, you're lumping the ENTIRETY of Michigan into what... a couple square miles of 1 campus?? Please....

It almost sounds like you're jealous.....

Well, lets face it... you've experienced a taste of the rich b*tch society and I think you're kind of jealous that you have to work in the real world and live in the reality called Planet Earth. I'm sure you'll find old money at other schools. So .. what if they all don't want to have real jobs and live in the real world?? What is that to you? Paris Hilton doesn't either, but I never heard her name mentioned...

Just don't go around pointing a finger at me, who lived a whopping 10 miles from where you were, saying 'they have $$, so you gotta be stashing some too!' The majority of Michigan is in a rut. Many people are barely making ends meet. Just because a community of college kids have hand outs left and right doesn't mean the rest of us have that same luxury. And I already explained that both my sister and brother struggled to make ends meet, so don't go running your mouth on how EVERY student has it made, parties for 4 years straight, and has no ambition in life. My sister is now pursuing her Masters and has a very good job while my brother was accepted into George Washington University for his graduate program. That sort of naive, ignorant statement really gets to me. You can't sweep the entirety of MSU's student base into 1 generalization.

As for the bar scene... Rick, Maggies, Harpers, Rum Runners, Riv, PTs and whatever else you came in contact with... Yeah, they were packed. Any reason why?? BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONLY PLACES WITH ANYTHING GOING ON!! You have a campus of 40,000 students and an overall population of over 130,000 people just in Lansing. And there are maybe 10 (I've only accounted for 8 at this time, but giving benefit of the doubt here..) halfway decent bars to check out.

You don't like what you saw, don't come around. How hard is that?

Oh, and for the record... my sister drove a 93 olds achieva w/ 230K miles upon selling throughout her time at MSU. My brother drives a bare bones model 01 chevy prism that I helped him get. Hardly luxery for a couple MSU students....

Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
It just goes to show how far the mighty auto execs have fallen. Not even their money can buy Cornell degrees for their idiot children now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
Oh, and for the record... my sister drove a 93 olds achieva w/ 230K miles upon selling throughout her time at MSU. My brother drives a bare bones model 01 chevy prism that I helped him get. Hardly luxery for a couple MSU students....
That's the real East Lansing, and hell, the real Columbus too.
... Ann Arbor has a Rick's too ... I knew someone who went there altogether much too often Yes, he belonged at State.

Every time I see a milepost with the distance to Ann Arbor on it, I know that I've died again and is going back to the heaven.

I shouldn't bash too much, as I hope to apply to work at MSU in the future, although they seem to have problems retaining and attracting faculty, especially compared to most other Big Ten.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Makes you wonder where Johnny727 lives north of Tampa, eh?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 54,515 times
I went to MSU in 1979 and it must have changed since then; I think you are meeting the new 'me' generation, I don't think it's the city, I think it's the folks staying there. It was a great place in the early 80s, but we were in a recession and jobs were tough, so no one was bragging about $$, your dad could lose his job. Remember, you can't take it with you, build treasure that is eternal and lasting. The 'stuff' is not worth the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan