Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
One, how do you KNOW a proposed solution will make a situation worse, and two, what makes you think any new problems are unsolvable? Doing nothing now (saying "no") seems the worst of all choices. Ya follow?
World history, maybe?

The things that the current administration is trying have been tried over and over since the beginning of time. It's not like they are re-inventing the wheel with this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Again, you're ignoring the cost side of the equation. Most states don't subsidize any more than 15%. Then there's this ... read it and weep ...

'... Michigan film production tax breaks and subsidies generated the equivalent of approximately 355 full time jobs in 2009, or 1,542 if "indirect" jobs are also counted. During that year the film incentives' net cost to taxpayers was $37.5 million.

When the agency figures in other factors the cost comes to $193,333 per job created by the incentives, or $44,561 per job if one includes the estimate of "indirect jobs" created.'

Michigan Film Office, refundable tax credits [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

Give me a tax credit that rewards the state with MORE than it costs and I'll stand behind it.
That's not accounting for the money being brought into the state from outside. That is only looking at the employment aspect. What needs to be accounted for is people who spend money in Michigan who otherwise wouldn't. For instance Richard Gere buying a condo in Detroit is an example of money flowing into Michigan not accounted for. Yes the tax credit costs money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
World history, maybe?

The things that the current administration is trying have been tried over and over since the beginning of time. It's not like they are re-inventing the wheel with this stuff.
So the trickle down Reaganomics is something new? When Reagan tried it unemployment was in double digits and the debt went from 700 billion to 2.8 trillion. Let's try it again. Cutting taxes and spending more on military than the entire world does as a whole should solve government spending and the deficit.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:55 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
That's not accounting for the money being brought into the state from outside. That is only looking at the employment aspect. What needs to be accounted for is people who spend money in Michigan who otherwise wouldn't. For instance Richard Gere buying a condo in Detroit is an example of money flowing into Michigan not accounted for. Yes the tax credit costs money.

So the trickle down Reaganomics is something new? When Reagan tried it unemployment was in double digits and the debt went from 700 billion to 2.8 trillion. Let's try it again. Cutting taxes and spending more on military than the entire world does as a whole should solve government spending and the deficit.
As I recall the country did pretty damn well for most of Reagan's term and beyond. If Reaganomics failed, I'll take that failure over what we have now.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,786 times
I must say, I am in total agreement with scolls here

People out here are talking more about Michigan due to TV shows...and movies being filmed there....celebrities and "hollywood" as you say...spend that money they "roll" in while working in MI..that is a wonderful thing

ANYWAY...I, of course, did not vote in MI...i'm in PA....but my dad who did not vote for Snyder...says at least he seems like more of a moderate and he said he didn't do a smear campaign....that is one good thing.......

okay that is all....

Old 11-03-2010, 06:03 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
You know what hasn't really been tried? Cutting taxes AND spending. Reagan didn't do both. Neither did George W. Bush.

I don't know if we'll ever find out what happens when taxes are cut AND spending is cut. I'm not sure if politicians from either party are capable of doing that. That's why government growth needs to be opposed at every turn. Once it grows, it's almost impossible to shrink it.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
You know what hasn't really been tried? Cutting taxes AND spending. Reagan didn't do both. Neither did George W. Bush.

I don't know if we'll ever find out what happens when taxes are cut AND spending is cut. I'm not sure if politicians from either party are capable of doing that. That's why government growth needs to be opposed at every turn. Once it grows, it's almost impossible to shrink it.
That's true, but remember, a president has veto power, but Congress controls the purse strings. Reagan was saddled with a democratic controlled congress. I believe he did a pretty admirable job of controlling the rate of growth of non-defense government spending. Can't say the same for GWB and the last Republican controlled congress. Of course, their reckless spending helped get them thrown out the last time. I'm hoping this new bunch learned the lesson. If not, they'll be thrown out too.

What's clearly not working now is this massive, Keynesian government deficit spending.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:24 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Our nation's real economic problem has less to do with taxation and spending and more to do with foreign outsourcing, international trade policy, H-1B and L-1 visas, and mass immigration. Sadly, backers of neither party nor the TEA Party understand that.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:24 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
That's true, but remember, a president has veto power, but Congress controls the purse strings. Reagan was saddled with a democratic controlled congress. I believe he did a pretty admirable job of controlling the rate of growth of non-defense government spending. Can't say the same for GWB and the last Republican controlled congress. Of course, their reckless spending helped get them thrown out the last time. I'm hoping this new bunch learned the lesson. If not, they'll be thrown out too.

What's clearly not working now is this massive, Keynesian government deficit spending.

When your military and war spending far exceeds non-defense spending, really doesn't do anything. Guess what administration last had a balanced budget? You guessed it, the fiscal conservative Bill Clinton. You can't spend billions and billions on military and war and then cut taxes and expect a balanced budget. This sounds familiar. Double digit unemployment, budget deficits, increased debt etc. Sounds like Obama and Reagan have more than one thing in common. At least Obama wanted to spend the money we don't have on health care for Americans than fight Arab countries.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Our nation's real economic problem has less to do with taxation and spending and more to do with foreign outsourcing, international trade policy, H-1B and L-1 visas, and mass immigration. Sadly, backers of neither party nor the TEA Party understand that.
And crap like this....
OBAMA INDIA TRIP 200+ MILLION A DAY « Riffenberg's Blog

Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times
if the dude wants to save michigan, he'll invest us in green energy. all kinds, not just one. that's where the world is headed....companies and even towns have made themselves self sufficient. the technology is there, its just a matter of actually using it. if we could actually get our oil and coal loving government to stop being self serving....imagine the possibilities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan