Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The streets are a sheet of ice down here in Monroe County and my dh has to be up and on the road at 4 AM for work tomorrow. Am I the only one here who is sooooo done with winter?

BTW, idw2s, homeschooler down here too, our dd is in her seventh year of homeschooling, and will graduate next year. For anyone who doubts the potential of being schooled at home, she just took a practice ACT test here at home last night without doing anything to prepare and got a composite score of 31. We are really proud of her. I don't take the credit, I give it all to her hard work and the curriculum that we have used for the past several years. The teachers are on video and they do an awesome job, much better than I could.
Dude, it's only February 20th. We still have at least another month of winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Oh, Luzette, if you are worried, get checked out! Brain injuries are nothing to mess around with. Call 911 if you need to...

Canudigit, we've had a great time. Mine have always been homeschooled. Even during the cancer and other times when my kids were basically unintentionally unschooled, they've made amazing progress. My oldest always tests well ahead of where he should, and we only use formal curriculum for the Three R's.

I'll say again, everyone stay safe... My husband said there was a pile up at the Big Rapid's Meijer.... Scary.

Luzette, I have to say I'm enjoying this one from the safety of my house, but I got a shorter winter than the rest of you.... But even I am excited for spring.... This has been an intense winter at times, and so many people can't curl up at home with some DVDs, the kids, the pets, and the cocoa.... Those are the folks I worry about, and of course those who keep our power on and roads safe.

Thank you for your concern! This fall did scare me. As I said I didn't hit my head but just had my feet come out from under me then took the hit on my shoulder. It felt like I could feel my brain actually move in my head. I'm caring for an elderly mom who has dementia. It's just the two of us in the house so I guess I'm always scared about something happening to me. My mom won't have anyone to care for her. I can't even get out to go to the ER if I wanted to. My drive is blocked now. I'm watching myself for any symptoms other than the mild headache I've got. So far nothing more has happened, but I'll call 911 if it seems like I'm getting worse. I've never been a winter person, and today just made it even more so for me.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM

302 posts, read 580,410 times
Another home school mom with lots of boys (and a couple of girls) here! My biggest concern is my daughter (graduated from our home school in 09) has classes tomorrow. I'm really hoping they close her school. Monday is her long day so she'll be leaving early and coming home late. Makes a mom nervous. This is our third winter in Michigan you'd think I'd get used to it by now.

The boys are just waiting for no more snow so they can get out to our field to play baseball. They are slightly obsessed! When we had the January thaw they spent the day out there playing ball and they were hoping this last melt would clear the field... no dice Now its filling up with snow again. Poor guys, I think they are over winter this year!!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Dude, it's only February 20th. We still have at least another month of winter.
Yeah, I know.

Usually, I am the one complaining about winter and my dh is the one who blows it off, but this winter was a milestone in our family, because now my dh is determined to get out of Michigan as soon as our son graduates from college in two years. He is serious to the point where he is starting to research jobs and houses in places like South Carolina and Georgia. I will go wherever he goes, obviously. My family is all in NW Ohio, but I have to admit that the South sounds better the older I get.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Thank you for your concern! This fall did scare me. As I said I didn't hit my head but just had my feet come out from under me then took the hit on my shoulder. It felt like I could feel my brain actually move in my head. I'm caring for an elderly mom who has dementia. It's just the two of us in the house so I guess I'm always scared about something happening to me. My mom won't have anyone to care for her. I can't even get out to go to the ER if I wanted to. My drive is blocked now. I'm watching myself for any symptoms other than the mild headache I've got. So far nothing more has happened, but I'll call 911 if it seems like I'm getting worse. I've never been a winter person, and today just made it even more so for me.
I can soooo sympathize with you, I am not a winter person either, and that's putting it mildly. You probably already know the symptoms of brain injury, but if you should start vomiting or develop double vision, or even if your headache gets worse, PLEASE call 9-1-1 and tell them that you need to be checked out and that you are taking care of your elderly mother. I'm sure they could figure something out so that you could get the help you need.

I'll say a prayer for you tonight. Please keep us updated on your condition.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
Another home school mom with lots of boys (and a couple of girls) here! My biggest concern is my daughter (graduated from our home school in 09) has classes tomorrow. I'm really hoping they close her school. Monday is her long day so she'll be leaving early and coming home late. Makes a mom nervous. This is our third winter in Michigan you'd think I'd get used to it by now.

The boys are just waiting for no more snow so they can get out to our field to play baseball. They are slightly obsessed! When we had the January thaw they spent the day out there playing ball and they were hoping this last melt would clear the field... no dice Now its filling up with snow again. Poor guys, I think they are over winter this year!!
I totally understand about having one in college and worrying about the drive. Our ds goes to school two days a week in metro Detroit, and it is a 40 minute drive. I always pray for his safety, even when the roads are dry, but it's absolutely torture when the weather is bad.

No playing in the snow for our family, our youngest is sixteen. We all pretty much hate snow at this point and just tolerate it.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:41 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Actually, you'd be surprised that traffic fatalities are not all that much higher in winter. I think I read there are more deaths on the road in Michigan in Summer months because there are more motorcyclists out. Plus, in winter drivers tend to go slower so the fatality rates are lower. And since most deaths on the road are caused by drunk drivers, does it matter if it's slippery or not?
Your right. I got in a discussion with someone not too long ago who said they hate winter because of the fatalities. I told them in the summer months the deaths are twice as high...I even looked it up to see if I was correct, and there are many more fatalities in the warmer months because...like you said...more traffic.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
We have about 6" and it is snowing the hardest I have seen all year. Looking at the radar...we will surely get 10" or more. This is a beautiful snow..and its not windy and pretty comfy out. Wait till morning when all the trees are filled with snow....awesome!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
I can soooo sympathize with you, I am not a winter person either, and that's putting it mildly. You probably already know the symptoms of brain injury, but if you should start vomiting or develop double vision, or even if your headache gets worse, PLEASE call 9-1-1 and tell them that you need to be checked out and that you are taking care of your elderly mother. I'm sure they could figure something out so that you could get the help you need.

I'll say a prayer for you tonight. Please keep us updated on your condition.

Thank you for your prayers!! I really appreciate it. So far, it's just the headache and shaken up feeling.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 PM

374 posts, read 759,487 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know.

Usually, I am the one complaining about winter and my dh is the one who blows it off, but this winter was a milestone in our family, because now my dh is determined to get out of Michigan as soon as our son graduates from college in two years. He is serious to the point where he is starting to research jobs and houses in places like South Carolina and Georgia. I will go wherever he goes, obviously. My family is all in NW Ohio, but I have to admit that the South sounds better the older I get.
Sounds like my husband and I. I am the warm weather person who always complains about winter and my dh usually doesn't mind it so much. This year he is agreeing with me about moving to South Carolina or Georgia.
Actually, I would love to try Phoenix, but that would be a little too much hot weather for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan