Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Well so far they are wrong on the first predictions I read/heard. Almost 8 here and not a flake in the sky. I had heard starting late last night or early AM after midnight. Nuthin.
Thats not the storm. This thing is massive and growing. Magellan posted a great look at how big this thing is. This radar also shows this thing growing and a MASSIVE snowfield. This WILL hit us...no wrong forcast on this one.
AccuWeather.com - Weather Radar | United States Weather Radar (http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/sir/us_/radar.asp?play=true - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My 87 yr old mom is in the 18-20" band and I'm worried about her losing power. And I'm already fairly iced in down here in Southern Ohio with more on the way (power will be going out down here, just a matter of how many will lose it), and I wouldn't be able to get to her in the snow. Please everyone, be good neighbors and look out for your elderly or sick neighbors. Maybe ask if they need some supplies or prescriptions before the snow hits, hit their drives with the snow blower if you have one in case they have an emergency.
Where is your mother located?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My 87 yr old mom is in the 18-20" band and I'm worried about her losing power. And I'm already fairly iced in down here in Southern Ohio with more on the way (power will be going out down here, just a matter of how many will lose it), and I wouldn't be able to get to her in the snow. Please everyone, be good neighbors and look out for your elderly or sick neighbors. Maybe ask if they need some supplies or prescriptions before the snow hits, hit their drives with the snow blower if you have one in case they have an emergency.

I am taking my generator over to my Dad's house this evening. If you mom knows here neighbors, they will watch out for her. This is Michigan after all.

I was going to run out and try to buy a snow blower, but no time. I really do not want to spend $1000 for thimething that i might use five times a year. There are cheaper blowers, but we have a long gravel drive. I am better off with five kids and shovels than a cheap blower.

I wonder how long things will be shuit down. We will probably close our office tomorrow. that is an expensive proposition, but better than having soemeone get killed trying to get to work.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Weather Channel calling for Detroit to get 18-24"

Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
They just upgraded it to a blizzard warning starting tonight at 7 for Kent, Montcalm, Ionia, Gratiot and Clinton counties.

The satellite now shows a pretty big snowstorm covering about 6 states from Louisiana up through Iowa:

Eastern U. S. - Funktop Color Infrared Loop (Flash) - Satellite Services Division/Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution
Hey, Magellan, I've looked all over, what do the colors mean? I see that spectrum on the bottom, but no explanation of the colors. I'm guessing red is thunderstorms or potential based on location? Or most severe ice?

Not too bad here, not predicted to be too bad here.... I'm resting a bit easier, but praying for folks in the ice areas.... The elderly and sick especially....

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am taking my generator over to my Dad's house this evening. If you mom knows here neighbors, they will watch out for her. This is Michigan after all.
Sorry, thread hijack, but I had another OMG, I am madly in love with people in Michigan moment yesterday.

Came out after shopping, loaded up my groceries, and gentleman comes over to ask me if I noticed my tire was COMPLETELY flat (no, I hadn't!).

In the hour it took for AAA to come help me get the donut from under my car, I had no less than 15 people knock on my window to ask if I knew my tire was flat.

I could have sat in Texas, LA, Portland for 5 days, nobody would have said a word....

I didn't think anyone in the world was still like this. I raise my kids, I don't care if you die doing the right thing, you damn well better do the right thing. You do not sit by comfortable while someone else is hurt. Be smart, but act.

I always worry, because when you are the only people like that, you can get taken advantage of. But the Lord has led us to a whole STATE of people like that.

Imagine.

Okay, back to weather. But I really, really, really am so thankful we live here.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Sorry, thread hijack, but I had another OMG, I am madly in love with people in Michigan moment yesterday.

Came out after shopping, loaded up my groceries, and gentleman comes over to ask me if I noticed my tire was COMPLETELY flat (no, I hadn't!).

In the hour it took for AAA to come help me get the donut from under my car, I had no less than 15 people knock on my window to ask if I knew my tire was flat.

I could have sat in Texas, LA, Portland for 5 days, nobody would have said a word....

I didn't think anyone in the world was still like this. I raise my kids, I don't care if you die doing the right thing, you damn well better do the right thing. You do not sit by comfortable while someone else is hurt. Be smart, but act.

I always worry, because when you are the only people like that, you can get taken advantage of. But the Lord has led us to a whole STATE of people like that.

Imagine.

Okay, back to weather. But I really, really, really am so thankful we live here.
Thats the way most people are here. My wife and I chased down a car a few weeks ago who did not have brake lights. We pulled up next to her...it was a women and two kids.... she had no idea. Oh, and your question to Magellan...I think the blues and reds are the higher cloud tops and where the precip is falling. As you can see...Michigan is right in the bullseye of this monster...this is gonna be nuts.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post

Imagine.

With all the snow coming, no one offered to change the tire?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
With all the snow coming, no one offered to change the tire?
Well, they all asked if I knew it was flat, and I told them yes, I am just waiting for AAA, thanks so much for telling me....

I suspect if I hadn't responded that I had called AAA, at least a few of them might well have.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Seeing the weather on a National level a little bit ago I plan to be ready with plenty of fuel for the generator and tractor to keep us plowed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan