Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:05 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times

Advertisements

Lake levels up for foreseeable future (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Default It is a normal water cycle

Wolfcreek,
Thank you for posting the Army Corps of Engineers graph before I had to do it. As a lifelong boater, I've heard the doom and gloom when sandbags were put up to protect property and the doom and gloom when propeller shops were making a fortune as boaters hit ground in low water. Just like the "global warming" crowd, follow the simple rule adapted from "It's the economy, stupid!" ---- "It's cyclical, stupid!".

Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Default update

Duluth News Tribune (http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=57494&section=News&freebie_check&CFID =80140900&CFTOKEN=65976044&jsessionid=88305b89f76a 3a4d3559 - broken link)

Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Default update

had to copy paste the article.

Quote:
Lake Superior is 10 inches higher than May 2007
John Myers Duluth News Tribune
Published Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The level of Lake Superior rose 6 inches in April, double the usual increase for the month, and is closest to its monthly average than any time since July 2006.

The big lake is now 8 inches below normal but is a whopping 10 inches above the level on May 1 last year. Over the past two years the lake had been as much as 22 inches below long-term monthly averages.

That extra 10 inches should make it easier to launch and dock boats at marinas across the lake compared to last spring. And there’s more water covering more waterfront beaches and wetlands left high and dry last spring and summer.

RELATED CONTENT
Lake Superior beach water testing begins
UMD researchers find first known E. coli in fish
John Myers Archive
The International Lake Superior Board of Control reports that rain and snowfall over the Lake Superior basin were well above normal in April, continuing a general upswing in water levels that started last fall.

April was unusually wet across the western portion of Lake Superior after three straight dry months. At the Brule River State Forest in Wisconsin, for example, 24 inches of snow fell in April — more than the 22 inches that fell in January, February and March combined. Duluth received 3.8 inches of liquid equivalent precipitation in April, much of it snow, which was 1.7 inches more than normal.

Lake Superior is expected to continue to rise each month into autumn, when it begins a cyclical downturn through April, said Carl Woodruff, hydraulic engineer for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Detroit District.

It’s unclear whether the current increase is part of a long-term trend back toward normal water levels or a hitch before low water levels of the past few years continue.

Experts believe that unusually dry weather and increased evaporation from more ice-free months have contributed to Lake Superior’s recent dip. But some people believe at least some of the Great Lakes may have more problems than just climate variations. A $15 million study by the International Joint Commission is examining whether human actions are needed to help stabilize water levels in lakes Superior, Michigan and Huron. Problems could include increased outflow because of past dredging.

Though Superior isn’t affected by lower levels on Huron and Michigan, dams on the St. Marys River can be regulated to allow more or less water to leave Lake Superior to feed the lower lakes, which can tie the big lake to problems of the other lakes.

While Superior appears to be recovering, Huron and Michigan still might have issues. The monthly report noted that lakes Huron and Michigan rose 8 inches in April, when they usually rise 11 inches. Those lakes now sit 2 inches lower than May 1, 2007, and are 18 inches below their long-term average.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Let those lesser lakes be!! Lake Superior is the only one that counts!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Lake Superior water level on the rise : Winona Daily News (http://www.winonadailynews.com/articles/2008/06/04/wi/07wis.txt - broken link)

Quote:
DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — Lake Superior water levels have risen faster than normal for two straight months, but remain below their long-term averages.

The International Lake Superior Board of Control said the lake rose 5 inches in May, an inch more than normal. It rose 6 inches in April.
However, the big lake remains 7 inches below its long-term average for June 1 but is 14 inches above where it was last year.

During the past two years, the water levels in Lake Superior have been up to 22 inches below their long-term monthly averages.

The control board says rainfall for the Lake Superior watershed was about normal for May after being much higher in April. The lake is expected to keep rising in June as usual.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
CBS News Video - Top Stories and Video News Clips at CBSNews.com

Are you very concerned about Lake Superior's and the other Great lakes loss of water for the past couple of years? Or is it just a cycle?
What happens to Michigan if this water loss tread continues? What do you think can be done to fix the problem, if there is one?

And oh it take a second to load a video and there a 10 sec commerical before the story starts. Just to let you know.
All I get is the commecial. I don't see the video afterwards.

However, I'm going to say cycle but who knows how long these cycles last. Michigan will simply have to adapt. There's nothing else we can do.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
All I get is the commecial. I don't see the video afterwards.

However, I'm going to say cycle but who knows how long these cycles last. Michigan will simply have to adapt. There's nothing else we can do.
Actually I didn't been to post the video I actually had a text article to put up. Here I'll try again.

Lake Superior water level on the rise (broken link)

Quote:
DULUTH, Minn. - Lake Superior water levels have risen faster than normal for two straight months, but remain below their long-term averages.

The International Lake Superior Board of Control says the lake rose 5 inches in May, an inch more than normal. It rose 6 inches in April.

However, the big lake remains 7 inches below its long-term average for June 1st but is 14 inches above where it was last year.

During the past two years, the water levels in Lake Superior have been up 22 inches below their long-term monthly averages.

The control board says rainfall for the Lake Superior watershed was about normal for May after being much higher in April. The lake is expected to keep rising in June as usual.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:21 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
I think its cyclical, but I do think that if we're losing lake water so the bottled water industry can make a profit with the rest of the country, I think something is wrong.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Army Corps of Engineers: Lake Superior level up -- chicagotribune.com

Quote:
Army Corps of Engineers: Lake Superior level up
Quote:
Associated Press
6:30 AM CDT, August 1, 2008
ASHLAND, Wis. - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says rain in July raised Lake Superior to within five inches of its long-term average water level, putting it 16 inches higher than it was at the same time last year.

A slight rise also is expected in August.

With the higher water, the Corps' International Lake Superior Board of Control planned to increase the amount of water allowed to flow into Lakes Michigan and Huron, which have the same level and remain 13 inches below the long-term average.

The Michigan-Huron level rose an inch in July and is eight inches higher than a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: