Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times

Advertisements

CBS News Video - Top Stories and Video News Clips at CBSNews.com

Are you very concerned about Lake Superior's and the other Great lakes loss of water for the past couple of years? Or is it just a cycle?
What happens to Michigan if this water loss tread continues? What do you think can be done to fix the problem, if there is one?

And oh it take a second to load a video and there a 10 sec commerical before the story starts. Just to let you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 06:45 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Some water loss in the lakes is due to city water. Many places are running it 50 miles from their city. There is pipelines large enough to drive huge semis though going to water plants. Is this the only reason? No, but it does have an effect.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 AM

34 posts, read 95,394 times
I think it is a cycle. In the early 80's I remember people losing their houses because the water was too high.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,596 times
Default It is a normal water cycle

Old 09-16-2007, 06:43 PM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
Your graph shows water levels through 1998.

The water has dropped (steadily) since 1998 without coming back up.

August water levels on Lake Superior were the all time low (look at the graph above, that's a precipitious drop in only 9 years from somewhere in the middle of the long-term range, to the absolute bottom.

The Georgian Bay Association did a relatively revolutionary study on the levels in Lakes Michigan and Huron. They found that while Lakes St. Claire and Erie are relatively stable over the past 30 years, Lakes Michigan and Huron have steadily dropped. Their assessment? A natural dam was removed from the mouth of the Bluewater River in the 1970s. Since then, the water flow from Huron into St. Clair has nearly doubled:
GBA Update Article Reprint- Water levels

I have yet to hear anyone refute this article. While it doesn't explain Lake Superior's levels, it's a logical analysis of the water levels in Lakes Michigan/Huron.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Yeah I read a bit about that in the Ludington Daily news a couple of weeks ago. It said they were losing an additional 2.5 Billion gallons a day, on top of the 2.1 Billion gallons a day Chicago draws off for it's water usage. I think this is probably a portion of the problem, but not the whole thing. I mean the dredging took place mid-70's and we have had above water levels in the 80's. I cannot see where if this was the major problem, it would have taken 30+ years to show up.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yeah I read a bit about that in the Ludington Daily news a couple of weeks ago. It said they were losing an additional 2.5 Billion gallons a day, on top of the 2.1 Billion gallons a day Chicago draws off for it's water usage. I think this is probably a portion of the problem, but not the whole thing. I mean the dredging took place mid-70's and we have had above water levels in the 80's. I cannot see where if this was the major problem, it would have taken 30+ years to show up.
I think (and I'm not the scientist who wrote the report for the GBA) their evidence is pretty compelling.

The big thing is that Michigan/Huron are dropping but St. Clair and Erie aren't. The lakes (Michigan, Huron, St. Clair, Erie) are heading toward equilibrium where they're all the same level. If you combine the above average precipitation and ice-pack from the 80s, the behavior matches predictions rather well.

At any rate, I think it's denial to think what we're seeing is part of the normal cycle. No maps of the normal cycle of water levels in the great lakes account for what we've seen the past 10 years.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default log.

washingtonpost.com (broken link)

Just keep a log on what's happening to the great lakes.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 AM

Here's a CNN video on the subject.
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
Hmm, I wonder if it has something to do with global warming...I mean, "climate crisis" to be more politically correct

I'm sure when all of the ice melts north of us, that will more than fill it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: