Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 PM

485 posts, read 966,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
We did get one camping trip in. We went to Disney last week to watch our son march with his high school band. We stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground. Had a BLAST! Too many people, and too much heat for me though. I'd still rather be fishing.
Ugh, I have to do that NEXT year as my daughter is in the band and marches at Disney. Yep, fishing over crowds/heat anytime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM

275 posts, read 441,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
Ugh, I have to do that NEXT year as my daughter is in the band and marches at Disney. Yep, fishing over crowds/heat anytime!
I highly recommend Fort Wilderness campground. If you're not equipped for camping, they also have cabins. The hotels and resorts are nice, but they're still busy even in the evenings. No true escape from the crowds. The campground was all about peace and quiet. We would hit the park in the morning, then head back to the camper to relax during the hottest and busiest part of the day. I have a portable hammock, and I think I fell asleep at least once in it every day. We'd then go back to the parks at night after it cooled down. If we go back we'll be doing it the exact same way.

Here are the pics from our vacation, if you'd like to take a look. Disney Vacation (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davwoj/sets/72157626473943644/ - broken link) My favorite two parks were Animal Kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon. I and my son took a TON of pictures at Animal Kingdom.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:39 AM

76 posts, read 122,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Walleye, yes, that is what everyone but me catches in front of our house. Walleye and Perch. I have heard that the Trenton Channel is one of the best walleye fishing spots in the US (unless of course you are a member of my family, then you will catch nothing there ever.).

Do they have people that do fishnig lessons?

I went fishing in Lake St. Clair and we "caught" some big muskelunge, but I did nto catch them, the boat did. I just turned the fishing reel after the boat caught the fish.

Somehow riding aruond on a boat and drikning beer while waiting for the boat to catch a fish just does nto meet my conept of "fishing"
Your best bet is to keep an eye on the conditions, the DNR site is pretty good about updating conditions where you'd like to fish. They list the water temps, and what depth fish are being caught among other info. I think the walleye fishing is just getting started, still some ice flows in the St. Clair river from what I've read.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Ahhh....

Parking my canoe in the middle of a sea of lillypads.....K&E weedless worm....a six pack of Stroh's.......

Bass.

Lots of bass.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ahhh....

Parking my canoe in the middle of a sea of lillypads.....K&E weedless worm....a six pack of Stroh's.......

Bass.

Lots of bass.
Dude....Thats about all I use are K&E...except I hate the weedless. They are the best all around worm! I used to make them...

Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 PM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Dude....Thats about all I use are K&E...except I hate the weedless. They are the best all around worm! I used to make them...
Okay, 'splain Lucy. Why do I need a weedless worm? What the heck IS a weedless worm (because things like this make me think in comic book frames, and you do NOT want to know what kind of image I get from a worm with weeds....)? And how do you make worms? I think I've segued from Lucy to The Twilight Zone...

What happened to Velveta cheese and salmon eggs?

Earthworms? Flashy sparkly metal danglies?

(ugh, it's been too long since I've been fishing)

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Michigan Fishing - Pure Michigan Travel

Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
I, too, am more familiar with the spectacular fishing in Northeast MI..... but I can share this spectacular site that I use for more than just fishing!!
Michigan Outdoors - Outdoor Recreation Guide - Hotels - Motels - Maps - Video - Michigan Interactiveâ„¢

somewhere in this website there are MANY bodies of water from the entire state of MI with the depths and types of fish that can be caught there....I Love this website check it out and good luck! I miss freshwater fish living on the east coast it is all halibut and cod....gets boring....
There used to be a TV program,(60's) called "Michigan Outdoors".

Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
It swims, and other people generally like to eat it.

I have not yet tasted a type of fish I do not like. Salmon, trout, pike, walleye, oh, what is the other big one here. Heck, someone told me when we were researching the move there is some fish that there are too many of, was it bluegill? I think I've had bluegill... I love fish....

I like bivalves and crustaceans and so forth, but I'm guessing not so many of those here....

Trout and anything I don't need a boat to get to would probably be high on my list (unless I can rent a human powered boat affordably when I get there).

And thanks, Jimmy. Cool info.

And what is it with my brain? I could use the info soon? I meant too... I'm so first in line for a brain transplant....
I miss Michigans pan fried(home fried) Rainbow trout.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Okay, 'splain Lucy. Why do I need a weedless worm? What the heck IS a weedless worm (because things like this make me think in comic book frames, and you do NOT want to know what kind of image I get from a worm with weeds....)? And how do you make worms? I think I've segued from Lucy to The Twilight Zone...

What happened to Velveta cheese and salmon eggs?

Earthworms? Flashy sparkly metal danglies?

(ugh, it's been too long since I've been fishing)
A weedless worm has a very thin piece of rounded wire in front of the hooks to keep weeds away. Some people love them...I have never liked them.
I used to make worms by making a silicone mold. First I took a 1/4" round piece of steel and making a silicone mold by imprinting it into the silicone. Next I used rubber I bought from a book I got from an online fishing lure supply company. You would heat the rubber, then pour it into the mold and it cools pretty quickly. This is the easy way to make just a plain worm...any color you want by adding dye. For worms with hooks, (like K&E) I made a very intricate tool for holding 3 hooks that I tied together..(just like a K&E or Kelly), the tool I made would hold the 3 lined hooks nice and tight, and after I poured a worm into the mold, I would set my tool over the mold and it would burry the hooks at just the right depth. I would pull the extra string and keep it tight, that comes out the front and ties to the swivel....until the worm cooled. I had a very cool setup...everything made by hand and from my own imagination. My favorite was a watermelon colored worm with red flecks. I would also add white stripes or dots like K&E, by pouring white rubber first...then quickly adding the main color so they would fuse together. This was pretty time consuming, but once I got going I could make 15 or so at a time...very fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan