Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times

Advertisements

Now that the ice is gone, and I don't have to figure out the uses of potatoes in fishing trip survival, I would like to take the kids fishing. I grew up fishing with my Dad, and my 15 year old got a pole and tackle box from my Dad 11 years ago, yet I have never taken any of the boys fishing (hangs head in shame)...

I also love love love the local fish I've eaten out here, and I need to eat more fish. So, I think it would be nice to take the kids out fishing once or twice a week, and see what we can catch.

I'm SW Lake County, willing to drive an hour or so for really great fishing. The only thing holding me back is knowing safe places for me to fish. Ideally, I'd like to be upstream of any possible sites of pollution. Most of the pollutants fish are likely to be contaminated with are fat soluble, and I have a fat disorder. The more of those kinds of chemicals I eat, the sicker I get. I love fish, I don't want to have to not eat it, and I really don't want to get sicker... Crazy I know, but I'm demanding like that.

Anyone have any suggestions of decent fishing spots? Don't worry, you needn't share you're best spots with me (because my Dad trained me better than that!) but a general idea of some remote and known to be clean fishing areas would be really, really appreciated. If there is some website or government agency that has such data, that would be appreciated soon. I've been googling and googling, and I haven't figured out how to learn what I need to know yet, so sorry if this is a totally idiotic question. I'm not usually this dumb (okay, I am, but I like to pretend otherwise!).

As evidence, note it took me 4 paragraphs to ask a relatively simple question. Lordy, I'd donate my brain to science, but I'm not sure there is a microscope powerful enough to make any sense of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:18 PM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Now that the ice is gone, and I don't have to figure out the uses of potatoes in fishing trip survival, I would like to take the kids fishing. I grew up fishing with my Dad, and my 15 year old got a pole and tackle box from my Dad 11 years ago, yet I have never taken any of the boys fishing (hangs head in shame)...

I also love love love the local fish I've eaten out here, and I need to eat more fish. So, I think it would be nice to take the kids out fishing once or twice a week, and see what we can catch.

I'm SW Lake County, willing to drive an hour or so for really great fishing. The only thing holding me back is knowing safe places for me to fish. Ideally, I'd like to be upstream of any possible sites of pollution. Most of the pollutants fish are likely to be contaminated with are fat soluble, and I have a fat disorder. The more of those kinds of chemicals I eat, the sicker I get. I love fish, I don't want to have to not eat it, and I really don't want to get sicker... Crazy I know, but I'm demanding like that.

Anyone have any suggestions of decent fishing spots? Don't worry, you needn't share you're best spots with me (because my Dad trained me better than that!) but a general idea of some remote and known to be clean fishing areas would be really, really appreciated. If there is some website or government agency that has such data, that would be appreciated soon. I've been googling and googling, and I haven't figured out how to learn what I need to know yet, so sorry if this is a totally idiotic question. I'm not usually this dumb (okay, I am, but I like to pretend otherwise!).

As evidence, note it took me 4 paragraphs to ask a relatively simple question. Lordy, I'd donate my brain to science, but I'm not sure there is a microscope powerful enough to make any sense of it.
You're not too far from Hamlin Lake, just north of Ludington. It's been a good 20 years since I've fished there but I always had success. It's a nice lake, rather large and even the panfish are big. Can't comment on the "cleanliness" but I know it's weedy (good fishing!) and plenty of good fishing holes to choose from. Now that I'm "semi-retired", I might have to go back and try it again.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Well...what is your favorite fish to eat?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM

275 posts, read 441,743 times
Man, you reeled me in with the title on this post.

I don't know your area very well. All of the fishing I've done in Michigan has been in the northeast. I grew up fishing on Black Lake, fishing off of the neighbors pontoon boat. Old Mr. Szabo taught me most of what I know about fishing. I wish you luck!

I'm also looking forward to doing quite a bit more fishing, after our move in July. I've grown to love bass fishing from a kayak, and I can't wait to try it out on the perch, walleye, and pike in Black and Ocqueoc Lakes. Maybe even some shoreline casting on Lake Huron...close to the Ocqueoc river mouth so that I can make tracks if the weather turns.

I'm also looking forward to trying my hand at fly fishing on the Ocqueoc. My uncle gifted me a few very nice fly rods, and I can't wait to try them out.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
I, too, am more familiar with the spectacular fishing in Northeast MI..... but I can share this spectacular site that I use for more than just fishing!!
Michigan Outdoors - Outdoor Recreation Guide - Hotels - Motels - Maps - Video - Michigan Interactiveâ„¢

somewhere in this website there are MANY bodies of water from the entire state of MI with the depths and types of fish that can be caught there....I Love this website check it out and good luck! I miss freshwater fish living on the east coast it is all halibut and cod....gets boring....

Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
Oh, oh..haha for example here is a map of wolf lake in Lake county:
Wolf Lake, Lake County, Baldwin Michigan Fishing

okay that is all I clicked on "maps" then you pick a county then on the side choose a body of water!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I am only familiar withthe spot right in front of my house where lots of fisherrmen congregate and catch things and where we catch nothing.

I think that there are some kind of fish most anywhere. In the huron river (mostly going thrgouh cities) My son hung a line off the back of a canoe and pretty soon there was some kind of pike on it. Many places we have been able to catch little fish like bluegill and croppy in fact, pretty much everywhere that we tried (except right in front of our house, where we catch nothing except a cold).

Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM

172 posts, read 471,387 times
Here are some of my suggestions:
Anything in and around Jackson county/irish hills area. There are so many lakes around this area, you just have to drive around and you will find a ton of choices. I would recommend Wolf Lake, Lime Lake, Vandercook. I would recommend Kent county and Calhoun. Yankee Springs Recreation Area is fabulous with several lakes in the area that are rarely crowded and are easy to get to. Good luck and happy fishing. Anyone have any suggestions for great fishing cabin rentals or state parks with great camping/fishing?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
You're not too far from Hamlin Lake, just north of Ludington. It's been a good 20 years since I've fished there but I always had success. It's a nice lake, rather large and even the panfish are big. Can't comment on the "cleanliness" but I know it's weedy (good fishing!) and plenty of good fishing holes to choose from. Now that I'm "semi-retired", I might have to go back and try it again.
I fish Hamlin Lake all summer, every summer. Still great fishing for a load of different species. The best spots you have to have a boat though. Very good bank fishing along the Pere Marquette River from Baldwin clear to the mouth in Ludington. Depending on the time of year and what is running you can get a very wide variety of fish. I was there this afternoon in fact and had a few Brown trout come to the shore carrying my lure .

For Lake County, my favorite lakes are Big Star Lake, Whalen Lake, Loon Lake (been years since I was on this lake though), Wolf Lake, and Little Star Lake. I don't know about public access on all of them though, most of those I have fished with someone who had a house or cabin on them. There are a ton of lakes in lake County, from decent sized ones (Big Star is the largest I think) to bunches of small ones. For river fishing you have the Pere Marquette River, the Baldwin river and also the Pine River. All have very decent fishing to great fishing. I believe the Little Manistee river starts in Lake County as well, which also has good fishing.

For Mason County just a bit further West, my #1 favorite lake is Hamlin, followed by Pere Marquette Lake, and Crystal (Hackert) Lake. All have a public boat ramp. You can rent a rowboat at the Ludington State park and fish along the western side of Hamlin Lake easily. There is very good panfishing there with the ability to take some rather decent Northern Pike. For walking the river side and getting a lure wet, my favorite river in the World is the Pere Marquette between Walhalla and Custer.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Well...what is your favorite fish to eat?
It swims, and other people generally like to eat it.

I have not yet tasted a type of fish I do not like. Salmon, trout, pike, walleye, oh, what is the other big one here. Heck, someone told me when we were researching the move there is some fish that there are too many of, was it bluegill? I think I've had bluegill... I love fish....

I like bivalves and crustaceans and so forth, but I'm guessing not so many of those here....

Trout and anything I don't need a boat to get to would probably be high on my list (unless I can rent a human powered boat affordably when I get there).

And thanks, Jimmy. Cool info.

And what is it with my brain? I could use the info soon? I meant too... I'm so first in line for a brain transplant....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan