Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 AM

528 posts, read 885,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
While we have had close to 4 inches of rain this week and the woods is so flooded the deer are having a tough time finding a water free beding site. They have settled on the side of our hill in the pines of a dry spot in the front yard. Even the turkeys are not finding nesting sites so easy today. I saw one this after noon building the nest on the edge of the corn field which is hoigh ground.

Still No one has died from our weather here thank the great spirit. To bad, so many there could not have been snow & cold haters like so many whiners here.

Oh the daughter drove to work in snow this morning from Wisconsin to Minnesota.

Al
LOL... my family out there is complaining about the long winter.

You are right, we are lucky to be safe.

I still love winter, my ponies not so much. The fence is finally up though, and we'll get some shelters up in the paddocks, and this winter they'll be much drier and much better protected, and Pony Mama won't worry so much.

Chickens, goats and pasture next... I for one will be glad to see winter come again, it means my year of farm-set up will be coming to an end. My first year that is. No time for planting this year, so next year will be hedgerows, raised beds, cold frames, trees and hayfields. And the never-ending series of fence building. Maybe even a pole barn... Yes, winter will be a welcome sight when it comes back. I'll be ready for a hot soak in the tub, a warm drink, and a stockpile of liniment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:41 AM

362 posts, read 695,901 times
You do know that you can dig post holes and string wire for fences in the winter. The snow insulates the ground so it isn't froze. Just make sure you back fill the holes quick before it does freeze. Lots of pole barns get built in the winter too.

Be carefull with that winter will be welcome again when it comes. Some here are lible to hunt you down to tar and feather you. Your supposed to whine, cry and try to make every one else as miserable as they are.

You can also plant trees and shrubs now while it is nice and wet. Again in the fall also.

Al

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
May 2nd of 2011. It snowed most of the afternoon. Not enough for any accumulation, just enough to annoy me because this is MAY and I want to be puttering in my garden planting stuff!! Hmmmmppphhh...... I need to find where Ole Man Winter is hiding and give him an earful. April snow..... fine. May..... No. I draw the line there.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Chickens, goats and pasture next... .
Want a couple of roosters? We need to get rid of some

Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Want a couple of roosters? We need to get rid of some
CJ, you are alllllll the way on the other side of the state.... Do they work like homing pigeons? You could fly them to me.

I'm hoping to get out to Trader Joes before too long, I'm running low on supplements. If I get out there, I will take the roosters.

Or we could all have a kite-flying party in my pasture and you could bring them.

I like roosters. And I don't have any neighbors close enough to be annoyed by them....

Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm telling you Al, you need a side-business educating all us back to the land homesteading types. I'd hire ya.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM

I like roosters too. They make great stewed chicken and stock for home made rolled out egg noodles. Moms and one aunts were always the best, I think they used the same recipe. I don't know why that would be, My aunt was my cousin till she married my dads brother.
My aunt is still alive today at 92 and shakes so bad she doesn't feel safe with a knife in her hand to cut the noddles.

So much good home made cooking I've missed, Kare is thinking I'm crazy making so much stuff my own self.
Made a huge kettle of home made bean soup last Thursday when Kare was gone to a doctors appointment with her mom. I chopped up a pound of bacon to put in it since I didn't have any hock and Kare didn't care for the bacon at with eggs last time I fixed it.

Fox Fire books are great for homesteaders. Not much in them about snowy winters though as they are storys from NC mountian folks. I still enjoy them.

Al

Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I like roosters too. They make great stewed chicken and stock for home made rolled out egg noodles. Moms and one aunts were always the best, I think they used the same recipe. I don't know why that would be, My aunt was my cousin till she married my dads brother.
My aunt is still alive today at 92 and shakes so bad she doesn't feel safe with a knife in her hand to cut the noddles.

So much good home made cooking I've missed, Kare is thinking I'm crazy making so much stuff my own self.
Made a huge kettle of home made bean soup last Thursday when Kare was gone to a doctors appointment with her mom. I chopped up a pound of bacon to put in it since I didn't have any hock and Kare didn't care for the bacon at with eggs last time I fixed it.

Fox Fire books are great for homesteaders. Not much in them about snowy winters though as they are storys from NC mountian folks. I still enjoy them.

Al
Why is everything so tasty in the U.P???

Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Stuff I fix taste as good in the thumb as it does in the UPPER. It even tastes good in Evart.
The fish in Canada did taste better but it was right out of the water and still nearly wiggling when hitting the fry pan or other.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan